Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well what do ya think about doing away with the Cam, Lifters, Push Rods, Rocker Arms, and Valve Springs? Doing away with all that ware and friction would free up some Hp. Right now we have a coil for each plug. Why not have a some kind of computer controlled electronic solenoid that would work each valve up & down? One of the plus sides would be you could program the valve/engine timing like a wild cam for the track and put the milder program for the street all without even opening the hood. As well as getting rid of weight and friction. I know, I know it’s sounds pretty well out there. As well we would have to put a whole lot of trust in the solenoids as well as the other electronics. I would like to see one built and hear run. Maybe in the future who knows? I just think the ol' gas engine is getting out dated and it needs a change. --Still I'm firmly aginst the D.O.D. I bought a V8 not a 6 or 4 cyl--:cool

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
GTO_400 said:
Well what do ya think about doing away with the Cam, Lifters, Push Rods, Rocker Arms, and Valve Springs? Doing away with all that ware and friction would free up some Hp. Right now we have a coil for each plug. Why not have a some kind of computer controlled electronic solenoid that would work each valve up & down? One of the plus sides would be you could program the valve/engine timing like a wild cam for the track and put the milder program for the street all without even opening the hood. As well as getting rid of weight and friction. I know, I know it’s sounds pretty well out there. As well we would have to put a whole lot of trust in the solenoids as well as the other electronics. I would like to see one built and hear run. Maybe in the future who knows? I just think the ol' gas engine is getting out dated and it needs a change. --Still I'm firmly aginst the D.O.D. I bought a V8 not a 6 or 4 cyl--:cool
GM is currently working on a solenoid actuated valve engine. (camless motor) BAD IDEA. Every day I replace a solenoid of some kind or another on GM's...purge solenoid, vent solenoid, torque converter lock up solenoid, ect. If manufacturers go with this set-up engine misses will be alot more common.:cool

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like a very good idea in theory but like other quirky ideas i would uess reliability would be the main issue for a long time. Make me think of the continiously variable gearless transmission (saturn vue is the last vehicle i know to use one).

·
Registered
937 Posts
GTO_400 said:
Like Pearl Jam stated, auto manufacturers have had this idea for some time now. I saw a proto type of this engine running on an engine stand on a TV program. The biggest problem they had at the time was power. You should have seen the size of the power cables coming out of the valve covers to power the solenoids. The host stated that it takes a huge amount of power to snap a sprung valve open in the amount of time required at higher RPMs. I believe it was more power than a standard Alternator could provide for that system alone. The solenoids have to be very very powerful.

·
Registered
400 Posts
GTO_400 said:
There's already an engine like that (Mostly, not solenoid valves though), and the first protypes were modified ford 302's. Increadible horsepower gain plus better fuel efficiency. The design uses a rotary valve "cam".

http://www.coatesengine.com/

·
Registered
937 Posts
Justice said:
There's already an engine like that (Mostly, not solenoid valves though), and the first protypes were modified ford 302's. Increadible horsepower gain plus better fuel efficiency. The design uses a rotary valve "cam".

http://www.coatesengine.com/
Thats amazing. The design is beautiful, they got rid of the reciprocating valve train. I wonder when we are going to see this in the production world. Takes 90% less power and since its rotational, rpms will only be limited by the reciprocating bottom end. Very cool. Thank you for that post, I have alot of tech buddies who will be interested in that.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The Coates camshaft design is VERY impressive! The only thing I disagree with is ,in his news interview Coates (to the best of my knowledge) said his engine has 0 emissions. I don't think this is possible with internal combustion. The self adjusting wheel bearing was pretty cool, also.:cool

1 - 7 of 7 Posts