Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum but have read many informative postings from a lot of knowledgeable people. I just bought a 1967 GTO Hardtop and asking for info on reputable engine builders in the So California area. The car is running and in decent condition but the first owner replaced the original 400 engine with a 1970 Pontiac 350 engine. My mechanic told me the Quadrajet carb needs attention and the engine may have compression issues on one side. The car has the original 4spd manual transmission. My first order of business in restoring this GTO is replacing the 350 with a 400 cid with decent power. I would love for this restoration to be a numbers matching project but budget and parts availability will be controlling factors. I am trying to keep my budget for the engine to around $3k to $4k. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Hello and Welcome,

I have a recommendation for you, although not in the SoCal area as you requested. Jim Lehart at Central Virginia Machine Services. (Central Virginia Machine Service - Home of the Injun Engine!) He's honest, one of the most knowledgeable guys around about Pontiacs and other makes as well, and has customers as far away as the Netherlands who refuse to let anyone else touch their engines. Give him a call and chat with him and see what he has to say. Tell him Rob in Dallas sent you :)

Bear

1 - 3 of 3 Posts