Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '69 400 is not painted the period correct Pontiac color, but I'm freshening it up and repainting it the same way while still in the car.

I bought a can of Duplicolor DE1610

But it is too gray, and not the same Pontiac Blue I have.

Is this the correct one?

If not, any help would be great as I'm colorblind and find these nuanced color differences challenging!!

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info

I should be more clear. I'm trying to get the matching color to the current paint on the block (which is a light blue with no metallic). The Dupli-Color DE 1616 looks to be a blue metallic, which is a great color and may be correct for the engine, but won't match what I already have (even if what I have is wrong).

So, any idea what I should buy to match the current color?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
News flash!
Butler claims this paint
from ‘Restoration Colors‘is a #208 substitute🙂, I ordered 2 cans of it to compare as my 389 also has the #208, and I will need more at some point, I don’t know how long it will take from them, but you may want to also get some coming from Butler for now..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I've decided to go with VHT SP-122. As crazy as it sounds, I think the machine shop that rebuilt my heads 20 years ago repainted the heads and block a Ford blue (paint matches "old Ford blue". Can't have that, so going over it with Pontiac light blue. Will post a pic when done. Thanks for the help...if I had the engine out of the car I'd restore it to proper metallic blue, oh well...

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Good luck with the VhT-122
I’m still gonna look at the Butler paint
as see what it is.There’s a guy on Ebay
Who may have more stashed PK#208 but not sure yet, I’ll let ya know what I find

FYI
Here was a related post from “Tony” on “Antique Autos and TrucksForum”
He liked the #208 alsoe..

Tony Thompson
Subscriber

Hello all,
Over the years I have been disappointed with my efforts to match Pontiac engine paint colors. You can buy three cans of paint from different manufacturers for the same year car engine and get three different colors :bonk:
I have a chart for the colors used, but it will not load so I will brief you with a bit of text.
1926-57...
three different shades of green from light to medium to dark every few years.
1957 Bonneville & all 58...dark turquoise blue.
1959-65...light blue.
1966-70...light blue metallic.
1971 & up changes every few years with multiple shades of "corporate blue".

I am building a 1960 389.
I grew up with these cars and remember well the engines were a light powder blue or sky blue. I researched available paints and found three popular brands for the 59-65 application.

VHT #SP-122, Plastikote #208 & Dupli-color #1610.
Plastikote is poorly distributed and difficult to purchase without paying lots of shipping. Amazon was the best order option I found. Many auto parts stores have VHT & Dupli-color. Summit Racing Has VHT & Dupli-color.
Rattle cans do not always match the color of the

cap, a source of aggravation for many of us do-it-yourselfers.
I knocked the VHT open and knew from memory it was too light.
Dupli-color disappointed by being too dark and having an element of green.
Plastikote #208 was the best match. I have some old original 389 engine parts here from 1960, 1963 & 1964. They were very consistent in color and The Plastikote is definatly the way to go if you are concerned with the best match you can get.
Second place goes to VHT #SP122 and Dupli-color # 1610 looks more like a later corporate hue to me.
I set up some sample chips so everyone could see what I saw. I hope this helps those who are restoring 59 through 65 326, 389 & 421 ci. engines.
I have a color chart for all years that I can share if Google does not produce for you.
Good luck on your projects everyone!
Tony
90E63C92-DE28-476E-8B4A-4843E013D884.png

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Just FYI I just got an EB offer for the last two cans around of Plastikote FordBlue #205
Not sure if that was close to your color
At all..🤫
63DDE05C-1B09-4BA0-8FF1-2F1FF9D4694F.png

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jetzster. I've committed to the VHT color and have already painted the new water pump and timing cover (will post pics when dry) off of the car. Here is a photo I took of the 2 colors next to my engine. The VHT is closest matching, so I'll repaint everything I can get to that color. At least it won't be ford blue anymore!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts