Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have a question that hopefully someone can answer....my 1967 GTO is going to be down for a good while and not driveable ...its has a 400 engine with a 4 speed transmission. I currently have a 1971 chevelle that the engine is shot in it and my question is how hard would it be to put that 400 in my 1971 chevelle. Would the pontiac engine hook up to the chevrolet transmission, if not how difficult would it be to transplant the pontiac engine and transmission both into my chevelle. Thanks, hopefully someone can help me out with this.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Not hard at all. The fuel lines and speedo cable are on different sides, and the battery may be, as well. Little stuff. The chevy trans, if an automatic, will not bolt up. You need a BOP patterned automatic trans. A chevy four speed will bolt right up, though.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Do it Do it Do it !!!!! :cheers

If for no other reason that to, in some small way, counter-balance all the Pontiacs out there that have had to suffer through having a bow-tie put into their engine bays against their will.... :D

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Stand your ground, Bear. We're all behind you 100%!!!! I would LOVE to take a restored Chevelle SS to a Chevy event/show with a Pontiac mill under the hood. I'd hide a recorder under the hood to capture all the comments!!! Alky is just having some fun.....

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
I think a Chevelle with a hard running Pontiac motor would be very cool. I'd have to try and make it run as good as Jim Wangers PonteCarlo. I believe that car is street legal and running 8's.......

As an aside, I once knew a guy with a Ford truck running a 440 Chrysler engine. The only external giveaway were the little gold pentastars on the front fenders and a Dodge Ram on the hood. Fun stuff.

Originally I bought the GTO as a project to put a 455 Buick in, but changed my mind. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts