Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at '05 and '06 LS2 cars and noticed that they have different EPA mileage numbers even though they have the same engine. The six speed '05 is 19/26 mpg while the '06 is 16/21 mpg. What gives? By the way, what is your experience with regards to the highway mileage on these LS2's? I have a '04 (six speed) that will give me 26-27 mpg. If I trade up will I get 25-26?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Txgoat said:
I've been looking at '05 and '06 LS2 cars and noticed that they have different EPA mileage numbers even though they have the same engine. The six speed '05 is 19/26 mpg while the '06 is 16/21 mpg. What gives? By the way, what is your experience with regards to the highway mileage on these LS2's? I have a '04 (six speed) that will give me 26-27 mpg. If I trade up will I get 25-26?
I noticed that too but I think it was mistaken numbers for the A4 transmission. Those numbers (16/21) were always the correct numbers for the A4 and then recently I started seeing them on stickers for manual transmissions, albeit only on stickers which I viewed on internet websites. My 06 manual says 17/25 on the actual window sticker though. Very interesting that you should bring that up, I noticed that discrepancy also. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mileage

I have an '05 A4.

I just made a trip to Tampa and back and got 21 mpg going south (running in the low 80's with the AC on.) On the way back I had to play "pace car" for a buddy in a Budget Rent-A-Truck so I had the cruise set at 70 with the AC on and got 22.2 mpg.

Around town I'm getting 16 in the summer and 17 in the fall, winter, and spring when I don't run the AC.

A far cry from my '68 Charger R/T .... it was more a question of gallons-to-the-mile instead of miles-per-gallon.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I drive about 70 miles back and forth to work every day...well, I did until last Friday when my contract was over at my latest job. My drive was MO highway 67 north to I-55, then 270 to Lambert airport...mostly gentle, rolling hills, and I've found if I just set the cruise 80-85, I get 23 with the AC on 100% of the time. That's damn good for a 6.0 400 HP car. I've got an '06 M-6.

This weekend? Let's just say I didn't look at the MPG reading as much as the tach :rofl: This morning, I rode faster than I've ever been in a vehicle. It was the same stretch of rode where my father held the record to date...on Rt. 3 south of Chester, IL in the Mississippi River bottoms between Cora City and the Murpheysboro cut-off, Dad opened up his Buick Wildcat 455. While childhood memories can be a bit skewed, I'm pretty darn sure the spedo topped out at 135, and the needle was pegged. I think I would have beaten my dad today. There wasn't a critter, car, or cop for as far as you could see. I opened her up and stopped at 145...I don't want to know what the extra 20 MPH feels like unless I'm on a track, and besides, if I blow past a Honda at 150, the low pressure I'm generating may just suck them into spin :rofl:

I love my GTO... :cheers

·
Registered
738 Posts
ShoddyHog said:
I don't want to know what the extra 20 MPH feels like unless I'm on a track, and besides, if I blow past a Honda at 150, the low pressure I'm generating may just suck them into spin :rofl:

I love my GTO... :cheers

ROFL :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just in case some dont already know, the EPA figures are so different because of the manual gearboxes option to do the 1st to 4th shift. The reason, if you accelerate slowly up through 20 mph, the dash will light up with a picture that indicates 1st to 4th shift required. This requirement is what allows them to do a 19/26 mpg rating on the manual versions. But in my opinion this car shouldnt be cuddled to get it's best gas mileage, although some people dont seem to get it...

If anyone is worried about the gas mileage varying considerably from the EPA posted ratings, either:
a)Get a professional mechanic to fix the issue (or fix it yourself if capable)
b)Accelerate less and choose less congested areas
c)Trade the car in for a car that will offer what you look for... Come on you made a mistake on this car, deal with it...
d)Learn not to care, it has 400HP FOR GAWD SAKE!!! Shut up!

Take the advice as you please...
:willy::willy::willy:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took delivery of my '06 black/black M6 about a week ago and just filled her up for the first time. The first week gave me 16.8 mpg. Hope this improves over time. I have to admit I haven't been too concerned with mileage of late. That accelerator keeps calling my name, especially in 3rd gear on the interstate on-ramp...

·
Registered
98 Posts
jjoakl said:
I took delivery of my '06 black/black M6 about a week ago and just filled her up for the first time. The first week gave me 16.8 mpg. Hope this improves over time. I have to admit I haven't been too concerned with mileage of late. That accelerator keeps calling my name, especially in 3rd gear on the interstate on-ramp...
That's better than I'm getting and I have an intake. I get around 16.3
I've had mine for almost two months now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Who's buying this car for milage? You may need to rethink your buying decision...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mileage not an economy issue

Some of you guys are misreading my question. I wondered why the discrepancy between the EPA figures between the M-6 '05 and the M-6 '06 LS2 as I was picking up on internet "window stickers". CPO'sGTO seem to get it! Further, I was just interested in what other people were getting as a top mileage figure in the real world so I could compare it to my '04 LS1. Since I get 26+mpg cruising, do you LS2/six speeds get 24? 25? 22? Automatics don't directly compare.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.