Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think its only a matter of time before we will start seeing ethanol for our vehicles here in the US its widely used in foreign countries such as S. America. Just think of it all that high-octane flowing through our goats injectors I am liking the sound of that...:lol: Hopefully conversion is not bad.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Other then the "green" aspect of what use is it going to be. It's my understanding that there is more "energy" in a gallon of gas then in a gallon of ethanol. Also, less mpg. Hopefully, one of the experts on this board will help explain this one for the rest of us.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You will yield the same amount of power with a gallon of ethanol as you will a gallon of gas.

I think what you might have heard is that there is more energy required in producing a gallon of ethanol over a gallon of gasoline...which is true.

Gas has to be pumped and refined, whereas ethanol from corn has to first be collected off the crops, fermented, then extracted. This does take work, but with more work comes more jobs :)

Ethanol is considered cleaner than gas, which is confusing to alot of people considering it still releases emissions. The reason it is considered 'green' is because it it Carbon Neutral - meaning the amount of carbon dioxide release is the amount of carbon dioxide converted back to clean air by the plants it came from.

Problems with Ethanol: It takes more work to produce than gas, so unless there is a low demand for gas, government tax breaks, or a more improved process for extracting ethanol, it may have trouble competing with gas. It will also require a high amount of ethanol to meet demand in the US (a corn field the size of Iowa...which is not Unrealistic, but would take years). South America uses less gas, so ethanol doesn't have as much of a problem competing there...in the US with our high demand for fuel, it may have trouble keeping up.

Any car can be converted to using ethanol by reprogramming the car's computer. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ricekiller said:
Any car can be converted to using ethanol by reprogramming the car's computer. Hope that helps...

Less not forget that it takes more than a retune to run E85. The fuel tank, lines and feed system will require an upgrade as well. E85 will absorb moisture from the air, this in turn creates a condensation problem within the fuel system. Also, it washes the oil off of the cylinder walls during normal operation, which can cause engine problems for 'stored' vehicles. Something to keep in mind.....

E85 is a great thing, but it requires a conversion, not a retune. :)

:cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
lotaguts said:
I think its only a matter of time before we will start seeing ethanol for our vehicles here in the US its widely used in foreign countries such as S. America. Just think of it all that high-octane flowing through our goats injectors I am liking the sound of that...:lol: Hopefully conversion is not bad.
Since when is South America a country?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Corn based ethanol is a waste of time. Too much energy required to make it. The Brazilians are producing ethanol from sugan cane. They're also permitted to drill for oil in their own country -- so they're now energy independent. Imagine giving OPEC the finger -- and meaning it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I hope they never put that ethenol crap in premium gas. Ethanol doesn't have as much energy as gasoline, so you'd loose power and get worse mileage. Isn't this the crap they put in "winter blend" gas up north? From what i hear it makes the cars run horribly and get around 2-5mpg less. Yeah good idea on how to save gas, let's make everyone's mileage worse.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
CrabhartLSX said:
Octane doesn't have as much energy as gasoline, so you'd loose power and get worse mileage.
Crab, are you the Professor or Gilligan?

Saying that Octane doesn't have as much energy as gasoline is about like saying that H2O won't freeze at the same temperature as water.

That premium gas in your tank is 93% Octane and 7% Heptane (plus a volumetrically small amount of additives). These are both hydrocarbon molecules produced from "cracking" crude oil.

Heptane has seven carbon atoms and will ignite with relatively low compression.

Octane has eight carbon atoms and can be compressed much more without spontaneous ignition.

This is why a higher compression engine requires higher Octane content. This wasn't the case back in the days when oil companies were allowed to add tetraethyl lead to the soup. But, that's another story.

Why high compression engines? Well, in a normally aspirated engine, higher compression = more power all else being equal.

Your friendly Exxon fuel engineer blends the two molecules to get just the right resistance to detonation for your GTO thereby extracting maximum dollars from your wallet.

As for ethanol in cars, seems like a waste of good moonshine.:D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ethanol has fewer BTUs (Enegry) per gallon than gasoline by about 10%. BTUs are units of energy based on heat. Ethanol is used in high smog ares as a part of the blend in gasoline because it carriers its own oxygen therefore burning with less cabon monoxide as well as no sulfer. In many areas you are using ethanol in your gas now whether you know it or not. One of the biggest problems getting the most energy out of ethanol is that it has a much higher octane rating than gasoline. It requires therefore higher compression for optimal energy extraction. Most gasoline engines including ours do not have high enough compression to best utilize only ethanol. It also doesn't work that well in the cold therefore E85 has 15% gasoline to help an engine start. In the olden days maybe today as well there were drag classes for alcohol powered cars. These cars had really high compression.
The kind of alcohol that is really bad on fuel system parts is methanol. This is made from natural gas for the most part and not used much.
The notion that it takes more energy to produce ethanol than comes out of it is false. Basically right now there is an increased demand for it there is not enough production capability. Plants are being built but take a cpouple of years to site and build.
It takes energy to drill for oil, pump it transport it,refine it, and transport it to where you buy it.
The biggest energy input for ethanol is probably the fertilizer. The sun is free. There is less energy in transportation of the corn as most of it is grown within about 100 miles of the distillery. Natural gas is used in the distillation process although I am not sure whether it takes more energy to distill mash per gallon or to crack crude. There is some transprotation enegry cost to get the ethanol to the refineries but probably no more than used to move gasoline around.
I guess I would rather pay a farmer in Indiana to grow corn than pay somebody in the middle east or South America for oil.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Ricekiller said:
You will yield the same amount of power with a gallon of ethanol as you will a gallon of gas.
More misinformation.......

The Btu is a standard measure of energy. One Btu is equal to the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one pound of liquid water by 1 degree Fahrenheit at its maximum density, which occurs at a temperature of 39.1 degrees Fahrenheit. One Btu is equal to approximately 251.9 calories or 1055 joules.

Energy content of Gasoline = 114,132 Btu/U.S. Gal.

Energy content of E85 (Ethanol) = 83,263 Btu/U.S. Gal.

83,263 / 114,132 = approx 73% of the energy in a U.S. gallon of E85 that is contained in the same gallon of unleaded gasoline.

While the energy content alone would indicate a larger impact, most studies quote about a 10% drop in mileage with E85.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wing_Nut said:
Crab, are you the Professor or Gilligan?

Saying that Octane doesn't have as much energy as gasoline is about like saying that H2O won't freeze at the same temperature as water.

That premium gas in your tank is 93% Octane and 7% Heptane (plus a volumetrically small amount of additives). These are both hydrocarbon molecules produced from "cracking" crude oil.

Heptane has seven carbon atoms and will ignite with relatively low compression.

Octane has eight carbon atoms and can be compressed much more without spontaneous ignition.

This is why a higher compression engine requires higher Octane content. This wasn't the case back in the days when oil companies were allowed to add tetraethyl lead to the soup. But, that's another story.

Why high compression engines? Well, in a normally aspirated engine, higher compression = more power all else being equal.

Your friendly Exxon fuel engineer blends the two molecules to get just the right resistance to detonation for your GTO thereby extracting maximum dollars from your wallet.

As for ethanol in cars, seems like a waste of good moonshine.:D

woah did i seriously write octane? i meant ethanol.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
Corn based ethanol is a waste of time. Too much energy required to make it. The Brazilians are producing ethanol from sugan cane. They're also permitted to drill for oil in their own country -- so they're now energy independent. Imagine giving OPEC the finger -- and meaning it.
+10^3

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Wing_Nut said:
Corn based ethanol is not a waste of time. Properly aged in charred oak barrels, it can be really smooth and much cheaper than that fancy store bought liquor. Very important to the F-body / mason jar crowd. Junior Johnson is very disappointed in you.

Does this mean that when we go to the pumps to fill up we should take a beer stein with us? Will fill er' up take on a new meaning? 5 gallons for the goat and a quart for me? Sucking on the gas pump nozzle will be common place.
:party:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Wing_Nut said:
Corn based ethanol is not a waste of time. Properly aged in charred oak barrels, it can be really smooth and much cheaper than that fancy store bought liquor. Very important to the F-body / mason jar crowd. Junior Johnson is very disappointed in you.
I have been pwnz3d. :lol:

:cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like Don and Wing Nut's answers... I don't really understand them, but I like them. Mostly because I think they are saying that I was on the right track.

Public service message... don't drink and drive... my wife's out there on the road and that's dangerous enough without adding in drunks too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.