Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a '68 GTO convertible with a 400 running a quadrajet. The engine was rebuilt before I got the car in 1996 and the only information that I was given about the build is that "It was set up to run on unleaded gas." That, of course, is before we had ethanol. I now live in a place where it is difficult to find non-ethanol 93 octane; pretty much my only choice for non-ethanol gas is 87 octane. The car runs on it but acts like the Bat-Chute is deployed. I'm hesitant to switch to 93 octane with ethanol in it because of the damage it can do.

So I'm curious to know how others have handled this. All replies are welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts

·
64-67 Expert
8,840 Posts
Confused about you getting a '68 in 1966. Have heard some shady mechanics say 'set up for unleaded gas'. As a retired journeyman auto tech, the only concession to unleaded gas in later cars is hardened valve seats in the cylinder heads. What 052 said on the E-10. I've been running it for years in my GTO's because nothing else is available. And ours is 91 octane and now $7 per gallon here in CA. And it boils at about 140 degrees, too. Good stuff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Confused about you getting a '68 in 1966. Have heard some shady mechanics say 'set up for unleaded gas'. As a retired journeyman auto tech, the only concession to unleaded gas in later cars is hardened valve seats in the cylinder heads. What 052 said on the E-10. I've been running it for years in my GTO's because nothing else is available. And ours is 91 octane and now $7 per gallon here in CA. And it boils at about 140 degrees, too. Good stuff.
Sorry. Old guy brain fart. I meant 1996....I corrected it in my post above. But thanks for your reply. I should add that the car ran great on 93 octane non-ethanol...when I could get it.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Replace all your fuel hoses with new ethanol resistant rubber. Replace the carb accelerator pump with one with a ethanol resistant seal.

Use a fuel stabilizer when not driving the car for a few weeks or more to keep moisture from accumulating in the tank.
Any recommendations on brand or vendor for ethanol resistant rubber hoses? I can't seem to find any that clearly state they are safe with ethanol gasoline.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Any recommendations on brand or vendor for ethanol resistant rubber hoses? I can't seem to find any that clearly state they are safe with ethanol gasoline.
As a rule, neoprene or any synthetic stuff will resist alcohol. If your car is going to sit for extended periods, then I would specifically look for synthetic hose.

Yes, as has been mentioned, ethanol/ alcohol attacks rubber, but only when left to sit.

It also attacks aluminum, which is what our carbs are made of, yet there's no need to panic, so long as it's not left to sit.

Anyone with a car that sits for extended periods, should be using ethanol specific fuel stabilizer for storage, and then running their car once every two weeks, so that moisture and evaporation do not have a chance to hurt things.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Thanks, but how do we know it is ethanol resistant? My problem is that I find “modern” replacement fuel line but then the fine print actually says it’s not ethanol resistant.o_O
If you're running the car, you're fine. Just use this.
Bottle Liquid Bottle cap Ingredient Fluid

Lucas Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers was developed to specifically address issues associated with using ethanol based fuels. This applies to E-10, E-15, E-85, pure ethanol and any mixtures in between including gasoline. Our Product is completely soluble in all ethanol fuels and will not harm filters. Lucas Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers contains effective additives to prevent rust and corrosion associated with the use of ethanol fuels.
Key Benefits

• Cleans injectors, valve seats, combustion chambers and other critical fuel components
  • Stabilizes fuel and prevents varnish & gum formation in ethanol and gasoline
  • Combats deposits and protects your engine oil lubricants from the harmful effects of alcohol combustion

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
View attachment 154652
Lucas Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers was developed to specifically address issues associated with using ethanol based fuels. This applies to E-10, E-15, E-85, pure ethanol and any mixtures in between including gasoline. Our Product is completely soluble in all ethanol fuels and will not harm filters. Lucas Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers contains effective additives to prevent rust and corrosion associated with the use of ethanol fuels.
Key Benefits

• Cleans injectors, valve seats, combustion chambers and other critical fuel components
  • Combats deposits and protects your engine oil lubricants from the harmful effects of alcohol combustion
Someone on the forum was recommending Red Line Complete Fuel system cleaner. Was that you Army? If so, why did you switch products? Maybe it was someone else?

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
View attachment 154652
Key Benefits

I was wrong. It was LeMans Guy that was recommending it. Some relevant information here too...

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Someone on the forum was recommending Red Line Complete Fuel system cleaner. Was that you Army? If so, why did you switch products? Maybe it was someone else?
No, that was @Lemans guy

I have no experience with Redline products, but I do have 100% faith in the advice of lemans guy.. who is the one who helped my set my detailed timing curve and wagner PCV valve.

For my own personal experience with ethanol:

Aside from 25 years of testing fuel for the government, my family has owned a campground and marina for just as long. So we had dozens and dozens of hedge trimmers, chainsaws, leaf blowers, augers, chippers, edgers, pressure washers, mowers, jet skis, tractors, and boats.. all being used/ abused seasonally. Lucas was what I always used and held in high regard... along with their fuel system cleaners, and specifically their gun oil, which Im a big fan of.

That being said, from what I understand, Redline is a much more comprehensive fuel treatment, so if I were interested in a complete service to the plugs, valves, rings, etc... it's what I would use.

If I were simply concerned about degrading ethanol, the cheaper Lucas is what I would use.

I have augers and generators that sit for many years with ethanol in them, using the Lucas.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
I've been using Startron Enzyme and Stabil 360 or Storage, so far no issues that I know of. I store mine from the end of October until it's decent out in Northern IL which can be middle or end of April, starts in the spring with one pump of the throttle. I do put a bottle in then fill it up right before storage and then a dose every fill up, I also have a heated garage.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I've been running E10 in my car since I got it 10 years ago with no issue. You cannot get any grade of gas here that doesn't have ethanol in it (even 87 octane). As others have said, make sure to have the correct fuel lines and run stabilizer. Mine has an Edelbrock carb that doesn't seem to care that there's ethanol in the fuel.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Ames will have it as well as any auto parts store.

IF anyone else has concerns about old fuel lines, this is what I tracked down as reportedly being ethanol resistant. I'm sure there are other options. I bought some to start replacing lines, starting at tank and working forward. Not exactly stock appearance but close enough for my standards.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have a '68 GTO convertible with a 400 running a quadrajet. The engine was rebuilt before I got the car in 1996 and the only information that I was given about the build is that "It was set up to run on unleaded gas." That, of course, is before we had ethanol. I now live in a place where it is difficult to find non-ethanol 93 octane; pretty much my only choice for non-ethanol gas is 87 octane. The car runs on it but acts like the Bat-Chute is deployed. I'm hesitant to switch to 93 octane with ethanol in it because of the damage it can do.

So I'm curious to know how others have handled this. All replies are welcome.
Just had my 400 rebuilt and the machinist, hos old & cranky, told me due to the Ethanol you should run fuel injection thats what its made for not carbs, I cant afford it I have the 3 dueces setup which I hear is a nightmare to keep tuned. He did say if you can look for a marine gas station they dont have to use ethanol gas, theres one here in Nor Cal

1 - 20 of 30 Posts