Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When one small project leads to a bigger project, which leads to a bigger project... etc.

I promissed the wife that I was not doing a frame-off for many years, but was hard to convince her of that after she saw this. It started as simply pulling the old 400 for a new 455 build. What a great time to detail the engine compartment a little! Well, one bolt leads to another then to 200, and you get this...

Oh well, made me smile. But I had to promise her I would not be posting pictures to the "restoration thread" here on the forum anytime in the near future!

I do need to do a little research for good paint options, etc. to obtain a decent looking finished project.

If you are still reading :) what recommendations do you have for cleaning/degreasing the frame without making too big of a project out of it?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Actually, last year it happened to me.... a simple engine pull to clean it up check it out and repaint went from 200 to well over 2,000 $ job.... one thing led to another, once the engine was out I could not see putting back old parts.. 99% was replaced under hood. 40 years of people doing it all wrong.... well, it wasn't going back like that. Every day I was ordering parts and running to NAPA it seemed. When it was all done? Glad I did it.. now its done.

The plan was to do this this winter that next winter and then eventually all would be completed in due time.. Well, this led to that and that to that.. I called it the accelerated Git -R-Dun program. This is actually the first winter I had it I am not working on it accept detailing and some minor things. Now once I can convince her I need that '67 rag top I can start over again.... she will eventually warm to this proposition..... maybe

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Go rent a power washer :D

Bear
Actually that is what I did once the engine was out and the car in the drive. I blasted the grime and painted mud and dirt away most of it anyway.. I bagged off areas I didn't want wet and carefully power washed everything. I got it to bare metal in most areas, it eliminated a lot of sanding. Once dry I applied degreaser brake cleaner to prep the surfaces for primer and paint. Turned out rather well for a novice. The Eastwood paints applied still look fresh and new.

Pics before is after power washing and before sanding and grinding, the cooling lines and hoses motor mounts etc were old and replaced after new paint applied. The AC hose clamp was also removed and replaced with the proper bracket since the car never had AC.

Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator as the primer was used then their Extreme Chassis Black on the chassis and chassis components, then their Underhood black on everything else.

P1020067.JPG P1020068 (2).JPG P1020098.JPG P1020099 (2).JPG P1020100.JPG

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I was going to clean up the front clip only, but when I saw the front body bushings, I knew I was going to now separate the body from the frame... 5 years later... still plugging away and not driving it...ugh!

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
5 YEARS?? Yikes. When I pulled my engine in March of '11 for a reseal job, I almost fell into "just going ahead and pulling the body to do the rest of the undercarriage". Glad I didn't. I just did the engine compartment and steam cleaned the underside and left it at that. I've put almost 4,000 fun-filled miles on the car since then, and am driving it every week, just as I've always done. I can't imagine having a GTO but not being able to drive it for years on end. But, a LOT of people I know are in that exact same predicament. It's all about your priority, and life can get in the way sometimes. Good intentions soon get sidetracked, loose focus, and then run out of steam. The key is, to delegate a small amount of time to work on the car every day or week no matter what....and it'll get finished. Like keeping in shape with exercise. It has to be regular. That's the only way that I know of, short of having unlimited spare time and no commitments, which is pretty rare!!! Good luck bolting it all back together!

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Eric, My friend Bill's GTO that was finished about 2 years ago took us 3 years to do. I think for most mortals, with time/money constraints, 3-5 years is pretty typical. I got him "motivated" to get moving on it....like Mr. GFR, Bill's car had been sitting for 20 years...When we were done, he had his 21 year old son drive it, and the boy had never seen it run prior to that his whole life!!! Priorites being what they are, timeframes are different for everyone. The goal is not to get overwhelmed and burn out. Speaking of overwhelmed, good luck on the household reconstruction and wishing you a great Holiday season and short work of all of the 'stuff' you're dealing with.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
:agree Amen to that! Here's a photo of my older son, taken when I started on the restoration:

When he saw the car move under it's own power for the first time in his life, he was 27 years old. He was also the first person to drive it, other than me. It was cool that he got to help me build the engine though...

Bear

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
For the record, I haven't lost motivation. It's been the usual time/money. I'm still gung-ho about it! This Spring looks like the finish line! Or is it the starting line?

·
Registered
111 Posts
:agree Amen to that! Here's a photo of my older son, taken when I started on the restoration:

When he saw the car move under it's own power for the first time in his life, he was 27 years old. He was also the first person to drive it, other than me. It was cool that he got to help me build the engine though...

Bear
Bear, Thats really cool. Thanks for sharing.
Just getting started on a suspension rebuild on my dad's 70. (bushings, springs, shocks)
Haven't torn into anything like this before. Hopefully it's a small enough project I can get it done in the off season.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, pressure washing would make sense but... I may not see above freezing temps for a while now. However, all it would take is a saturday with temps hovering around 30, push the car on to the concrete pad outside, wash, and put back in for the thaw. It would help some to hook the hose to hot water in the house (only 3-seaon water at garage). It does not take long for the hose to freeze when running 120ft to the shop!

By the way, great photos Bear! My oldest is 20, and it does fly by in a real hurry!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've had my 69 for 16 years, and drove it last on July 4th, 2003 when my oldest boy was just over a year old. Then it sat in the driveway for four years. When I was tired of watching it rust and bleed fluids on the driveway, I got it running enough to get it in the garage. It wouldn't idle, so it literally did a burnout all the way up the driveway into the garage.
The plan was to replace the body mounts, drivers quarter panel, get the trans rebuilt, and get it running again. Well.....it needed alot more than I thought, and I took it down to the frame. Six years and a few thousand more dollars than planned, it is about to make some noise again!! My oldest boy is almost 11 and is more excited than I am about getting it running again. We will see how excited he is when it comes time for sanding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts