Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this is a new vehicle to me I am not sure if this is normal or not.
A4 Transmission in drive fully stopped, the engine idle drones rather loud inside the cabin. The rpm seems to be around 550.

Is this drone normal?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I agree. This is a frigin 350 ol pushrod engine under the hood, and tends to rumble a bit. I don't know about the math but a eight cylinder should rev like half as mutch as a four banger.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drove a few other 06's before this one and don't quite remember if there was the hum at idle. Probably because my adrenaline was going.

It seems if the idle was a bit higher, the drone would go away. It is just resonance at the particular rpm when stopped at a light.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I drove a few other 06's before this one and don't quite remember if there was the hum at idle. Probably because my adrenaline was going.

It seems if the idle was a bit higher, the drone would go away. It is just resonance at the particular rpm when stopped at a light.
You bought a muscle car! The designers worked really hard to get that rumble at idle. Don't get stressed at the occasional shake from the engine at idle either. That too, was no doubt part of the muscle car ambience that the Holden designers were going for. Sort of like an engine with a hot cam trying to cope with idle speeds.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the last 6 years I have been driving Luxo Barges (Chevy Avalanche's) and have gotten used to the quiet smoothness.

I am still learning about the newer GTO's and what is normal or not.
I know the rubbing on the strut of my front tires is definetly NOT supposed to be there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts