Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not obsessing like some have accused me of, i am just interested and am new to this car. yes, i like to get great mileage on the highway, but i realise the limitations of that with this car. i actually am quite impressed with it's mileage considering. so there............i'm done with MPG questions!!!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
If it makes you feel any better for the 3 weeks before I had my car in the shop I was filling it up 2 or 3 times a day at around $52 a tank. I just love to drive alot and very hard what can I say.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Today in Huntington beach I saw the most vipers I have ever seen in one place before. Granted it was on a dealer lot outside, but there were 5 parked in a row. With gas the way it was it makes since why so many are still sitting on the lots.

·
Registered
388 Posts
enjracing said:
i'm not obsessing like some have accused me of
Well, nobody accused you of murder or anything...and the term obsessing has many degrees. I get accused of obsessing over stuff. No big deal...just other peoples opinions. Might I suggest that if you have mileage concerns that one thread will do just fine, not two in as many days. You might try sprinkling in posts on how easily this thing will do 100 or how much fun it is to smoke the tires :rofl:

I do have a question for you though. How much is this performance tune going to cost you? If it saves you 1 MPG, it will be easy enogh to figure out how long it would take to realize your return on that investment.

Gerry

·
Registered
137 Posts
This may make you feel better too. The basic truth is...no real sports/muscle/tuner/FAST car gets good gas mileage. You have to weigh all the positives and negatives of each car you're looking at and decide if you want to give a little in the MPG factor for more exclusivity, power etc. (such was the case for me w/ the GTO) I was looking at an RX8 and a subaru sti. Guess what? The 1.8L rotary takes premium like our car, plus it needs a quart of oil every 2-3 fill ups! That is costly. Not to mention this car only makes 238 horse and only gets a shade over 20 MPG in mixed driving....that is CRAPPY considering. However, other than a 94 NSX I've driven the RX8 is easily the best handling car I've ever been in hands down. A popular misconception about the turbo 4's in subarus is that they make good power and get great gas mileage, not so. MY good friend drives one, and he babies it most of the time, and he gets about 19 mpg. SOOO you have a V8 American beast that'll crush most (if not all) cars in it's class/price range in power, styling, exclusivity, and fit and finish. CHEERS TO YOU...good decision.

·
Registered
83 Posts
"Might I suggest that if you have mileage concerns that one thread will do just fine, not two in as many days."

:agree
My point exactly. You dont have to make various threads for the same thing, or create another thread to apologize for that matter either. Just common thread etiquette. No need to be so defensive. If you still want to talk about something you know you already posted, just bump the thread, or continue the conversation on the original thread again. Then it wouldnt look like "obsessing" so to speak. No need to apologize...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm pretty aware of performance and all that goes with it. like i have said before, i raced formula cars and touring cars professionally all around the globe for a decade. that is not what my questions or concerns have been about, though whether i am a race drivrer or not, has nothing to do with the fact that i wanted to know more about the MPG potentials of this car. let's face it, gas prices will be going into the 4-5 dollar racnge in the not to distant future, so i want to know what to expect. but yes, you are all correct, how good can it get for a 3,800 lbs. car with 400 hp? what we get is impressive considering. maybe there should be a section in here for MPG "obsessors" like me!

·
Registered
388 Posts
enjracing said:
maybe there should be a section in here for MPG "obsessors" like me!
Nah, just keep posting to your original thread. Each time you do, it will raise it to the top of the topic list and people will see what you've added to the original thread. If you post multiple threads, it hurts you, IMHO. After doing that a few times, people just will not know where to respond to you, and you will not get as many responses.

FYI, on the way to work today, I did two 100 MPH runs, and on the way back home, I did three...one was at least 120. After my reset yesterday, my average was still over 21 MPG.

Gerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.