Pontiac GTO Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The sound Im after is the sound that my old 66 and 67 had... so a Chevy engine wouldnt do it. I just want the same "attitude" that the Mustangs have, with their baby engines.

I only have 2.5" Pypes continually talked me out of the 3", which now I fully regret...

My compression ratio is 10.10 and my cam is healthy. I have Dougs headers.

Yes, I do know that header mufflers are the loudest. I read that long ago and I experienced it first hand... That being said, my low performance vette with stock manny's and mufflers at the back bumper, sounded like a dragster compared to my GTO.

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
All this being said, I shouldve followed my instincts and got the 3". The car is simply quiet, and all joking aside, it's not my hearing. If it was, then Mustangs and Chevelles wouldnt sound loud either.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Keep in mind that the cut-outs are not a diverter valve sending all the exhaust out the cut-out pipes. Some exhaust/sound still flows out the mufflers and tail pipes. Maybe you should just go with uncapped headers...............ah, never mind, you'll just insist that they aren't loud enough.

Got an idea, however. I am willing to post a "Go-Fund-Me" page for you so we can buy you a set of hearing aids and then you can hear how loud the exhaust really is. Whatta ya say???? ;)
I've been asking him about getting his hearing checked for months.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yes as the video points out, there's a substantial and equal volume of exhaust coming out the tail pipes! And as I showed, my cutouts are not just open pipe... they are essentially additional mufflers.

Do you guys really think it's loud? Yes I know that riding a Harley and being a performing bass player for 35 years, has taken it's toll on me, but every Chevelle and Mustang I hear is sooooo much louder.

In the world of muscle cars, people use sound to determine what is the baddest, and Im tired of silently creeping through these car shows, where everyone stares to see the cool GTO, and then struggles to hear it over the Mustang.
Your added baffles and piping may actually be causing it to be quieter inside the car. They may be acting as resonance tubes which can be used to eliminate exhaust drone.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The sound Im after is the sound that my old 66 and 67 had... so a Chevy engine wouldnt do it. I just want the same "attitude" that the Mustangs have, with their baby engines.

I only have 2.5" Pypes continually talked me out of the 3", which now I fully regret...

My compression ratio is 10.10 and my cam is healthy. I have Dougs headers.

Yes, I do know that header mufflers are the loudest. I read that long ago and I experienced it first hand... That being said, my low performance vette with stock manny's and mufflers at the back bumper, sounded like a dragster compared to my GTO.
Do I need to send you another clip of my SN95 Mustang?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think it sounds badass, army!

I often think my set up is too loud. I have janky, booger welded 3" pipes off full length Hedman headers, a DIY H pipe, 40 series flowmasters (those are the 2 chamber ones, right?) and turndowns in front of the axle. Loud as F. Maybe try that next?

In high school I was cruising on El Camino and hit an epic road construction hole I didn't see. bashed both pipes off at the collector...don't know how my oil pan survived. My dad always said carry a coat hanger or bailing wire in the car and man was he right. I rigged the pipes up and drove the car home and it has NEVER sounded better since!!!

Your car is already tall so just run straight side exit pipes off your collectors. That outta cure your afterfire issues too. Cobras do it, so why not a '67?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
You know that the newer Mustangs are adding exhaust noise over the audio system. Make you think you have a great exhaust sound but its coming over your speakers rather than the pipes.

Ford has admitted that its Active Noise Control system, as found in the Ford Mustang, pumps fake engine sounds through the in-car speaker system to replicate the growl of the older models.

Thanks to the EcoBoost engine, the old roar of the four-cylinder engines of the past has been muted somewhat, but to compensate, Ford has revealed that it uses digital audio technology to give drivers a similar aural experience.

"With the EcoBoost engine we have both active noise cancellation and we also amplify the existing engine sound order," said Mustang chief engineer Dave Perciak.

However, he claims that instead of pushing completely fabricated sound through the stereo speakers, the car manufacturer simply amplifies the sound that is already there. "We don't create an artificial sound; we don't pluck one off the shelf; we bring in the real sound, process it, and play it through the car's speakers," he added.

"Today's V6 sounds fantastic, and although the EcoBoost won't sound like a V8, it won't sound like it doesn't belong in a Mustang, either."

How owners of new Mustangs feel about that is unknown, but it has shocked car magazines and websites. Road & Track discovered that if you disable the car stereo system, for example, the Mustang sadly loses its "voice".

·
Registered
855 Posts
You know that the newer Mustangs are adding exhaust noise over the audio system. Make you think you have a great exhaust sound but its coming over your speakers rather than the pipes.

Ford has admitted that its Active Noise Control system, as found in the Ford Mustang, pumps fake engine sounds through the in-car speaker system to replicate the growl of the older models.

Thanks to the EcoBoost engine, the old roar of the four-cylinder engines of the past has been muted somewhat, but to compensate, Ford has revealed that it uses digital audio technology to give drivers a similar aural experience.

"With the EcoBoost engine we have both active noise cancellation and we also amplify the existing engine sound order," said Mustang chief engineer Dave Perciak.

However, he claims that instead of pushing completely fabricated sound through the stereo speakers, the car manufacturer simply amplifies the sound that is already there. "We don't create an artificial sound; we don't pluck one off the shelf; we bring in the real sound, process it, and play it through the car's speakers," he added.

"Today's V6 sounds fantastic, and although the EcoBoost won't sound like a V8, it won't sound like it doesn't belong in a Mustang, either."

How owners of new Mustangs feel about that is unknown, but it has shocked car magazines and websites. Road & Track discovered that if you disable the car stereo system, for example, the Mustang sadly loses its "voice".
My kid had a Fiesta ST (hit a Grand Cherokee head on so the key word is had). That car had the piped in sound too but it wasn't done through the stereo. They had a tube that ran from the intake to the firewall. Basically, a stethoscope to the passenger compartment. Car actually sounded pretty good.

I actually get what Amy is talking about here. Figure the fox body Mustangs from the 80s had a little over 200 horse but the engines sounded massive and way more powerful with hotter than stock mufflers. I'm still thinking he will never get that kind of sound from a Pontiac because of head design. SBF and SBC both have the headers sticking out the side of the head where Pontiac has them bolted beneath.

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
0 series flowmasters (those are the 2 chamber ones, right?) and turndowns in front of the axle. Loud as F. Maybe try that next?
Thanks for the compliment. I actually love the way it sounds now, and it's super quiet in the car.

Yeah, I will say that all of the loud Chevelles I keep mentioning, have turn downs at the rear axle on flow masters, so obviously the tailpipes make a HUGE difference.

At idle, the Violators sound mean, but they just need a little more OOomph! However, with everything Ive tried, the Race Pro's, Cherry Bombs, and Flowmasters, when you get on it, it sounds like the Hammers of Hell. The Violators just make it x10.

My issue with dumping at the axle is that I like the way tailpipes look on classic muscle cars, and I didnt just want dummies there.

Although, now I have the added aesthetic of side dumps, so until I get to see the car outside, in full view, I cant say whether Ill like them.

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
My kid had a Fiesta ST (hit a Grand Cherokee head on so the key word is had). That car had the piped in sound too but it wasn't done through the stereo. They had a tube that ran from the intake to the firewall. Basically, a stethoscope to the passenger compartment. Car actually sounded pretty good.

I actually get what Amy is talking about here. Figure the fox body Mustangs from the 80s had a little over 200 horse but the engines sounded massive and way more powerful with hotter than stock mufflers. I'm still thinking he will never get that kind of sound from a Pontiac because of head design. SBF and SBC both have the headers sticking out the side of the head where Pontiac has them bolted beneath.
Weather is breaking soon, so I'll know this week.

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Still too soon to tell if I like the aesthetic, but I love the sound and performance increase of the open flow!!! I rewelded the collector dumps yesterday, and the afterfire was dramatically reduced, so I obviously had a leak there.

Also, I have a leak at the header on the driverside, but the number four bolt is so hard to remove, that new gaskets will have to wait a bit.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

41 - 52 of 52 Posts