Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just be sure and use a clean, wet washcloth to clean them. The finish is really no different than the painted finish on your car, it will scratch just as easily. I would not use wax due to the high temps, just keep them clean...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree with bergenfelter. Just take the time each wash to run the cloth around the outside. Also, I have a wheel detailing brush that I swab around the inside as far as I can get up the pipe (geez, does that sound nasty). LOL. Mine stay shined up. I would not wax them, it can not handle the heat and will probably yellow and bake on.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I am an avid user of Stoner Car care products. I use their glass cleaner on the tips. Mine shine like a mirror.

Incidentally, for you guys that like the shinny look on tires, their More shine less time tire dressing is the best I have ever used and I have used MANY. They shine even after driving all day. Takes a few rain storms of driving for it to wear off too.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Good Ole WD-40 works as well as anything out there and is less expensive. It will not harm the finish. I've been using it for over 30 yrs and never had a problem with any car.

Sometimes the bug goo is hard to get off. I get off what I can and then use a spray wax to loosen up the rest. It comes right off.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Just used a claybar for the first time last night. It really smooths out/removes junk from the paint surface. Never heard of a claybar before this forum....

Also got a few microfiber towels. Wife doesn't understand why I'm so anal about washing them and where they're supposed to be stored (near the car!).

·
Registered
388 Posts
chrisGTO said:
eagle one Nevr-dull works great
I washed mine today, and thought, "when it comes time, I'm going to hit those with Nevr-Dull," but mine is not Eagle-one. It is the same thing I used in the Army and detailing my bikes.

I'm not familiar with the Eagle One product, but I purchased mine at a local True Value hardware store...$4.49 for a 5oz. can of wadding...and it will last a long time.

Gerry

·
Registered
137 Posts
Much like the honda spray cleaner/polish I mentioned on a another thread, I have another motorcycle cleaning product that I would put money on is better than anything else you can use to clean metal/chrome/etc. It's called a "classic cloth" and it works unbelievably well. It's an actually cloth coated in some sort of chemical wax type stuff...it feels kind of greasy to the touch. Well you rub it all over a metal surface, the harder you rub the better it works...it'll leave a greasy film over the metal. Let it sit for a few minutes and remove/polish the surface w/ a microfiber cloth. The cloth will get BLACK marks all over it from the oxidization and dirt being removed. I use it on my gold chain too...works soooooo good. I used it on my rims, the frame on my bike, any unpainted metal surface.
Classic cloth...get on eand you'll see what I mean.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.