Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a stock 400-350 hp with automatic and was looking to install new exhust from pypes from manifold to rear tips. was wondering if system with cross pipes hang any lower than stock and any more difficult to install.anyone recomend pypes or other systems. Thanks Tony g

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can not answer your first questions, but I can say I would NOT do the summit racing dual kit from the headers back to the bumper ... EVER AGAIN 2 1/2" kit sucked!! had to cut and weld and re- engineer to get it to hang nice and tuck up and exit decent. For just a little more cash I could have had a shop fab one up and sip a lemon-aide while I watched.... I have read the stock type kits are better.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was looking to do this in the off season as well. 1970 Conv with the 400/TH400.
I have similar questions as Tony.
X pipe versus No X pipe?
Any thoughts on the X pipe versus the X Change with the provision for cutouts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pypes

do x pipes give much improvments in preformance. still undecided sound like i would like the h pipe sound better put single flowmaster on my 1995 tahoe and like the sound

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
I'm running the Pypes 2 1/2" X-change system on my car. It is going to be a little lower because the X has to clear the drive shaft. If you want to hear what it sounds like, search youtube for "BearGFR" or "Bear's GTO" to find several videos of it running in various situations. So far I've not had any ground clearance issues.

You can see a pretty good side view of the system in this "launch" photo.

And a few others...

The angle on this shot makes them look lower than they really are. In actuality, the flange on the dump outlet is within 1/8" of hitting the floor pan so it couldn't really go any higher.

Bear

1 - 9 of 9 Posts