Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Vendor
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The collector car hobby in the United States began back in the 1930s, when a small group of auto enthusiasts recognized that there might be historical value in preserving examples of the original “horseless carriages”.

After World War Two, Baby Boomers fueled the hobby’s growth as they collected the cars of their youth. These hobbyists, interested in cars of the 1950s, ‘60s, and ‘70s, often began with rusty worn-out hulks needing complete overhauls. This in turn fed an expansion of restoration shops, aftermarket parts, and the tools and supplies to support it all.

The old car hobby has traditionally preferred factory-correct restorations. Younger generations are bucking that trend. Is that shift helping or hurting values? Read the full article on CARiD to find out!

· Registered
66/67 Pontiac
1,048 Posts
First you can not compare a Black vette with a Tan on tan. You paint the black one tan and the price will drop like a rock.. If you get a plain jane 63 with an unpopular color palette, restomod is the way to go. You have a factory fuel injected 63. You dropped the price in half. I checked BAT for GTO prices restomods were not in the top ten. I dont dont think I am building a Restomod*, more like a Survivor Modified.

· 64-67 Expert
9,659 Posts
Glad I paid peanuts for both of mine 40 years ago and have been driving them all my life and still am. No restorations or resto-mods for me. If I want new, I'll buy new. I want old. I want my GTO's to have the visceral fire breathing personalities that they were born with, warts and all. One thing I've realized is that many people under 50 think that any car with older than 2000's tech is unreliable and cannot be used as transportation. Therefore, it must be 'upgraded' with new tech to be usable. This couldn't be further from the truth.

· Registered
7,373 Posts
Articles like this are really stupid - asinine actually.

I found this engine combo on the web, same engine, lower priced Tremec:

Roush 427 Ir stroker 560hp 535ft/lbs
Tremec tkx transmission which includes Features Quicktime Steel Bellhousing, Internal Hydraulic Release Bearing, RAM Dual Performance Clutch Kit
price
$ 38,500, this includes the installation of the above mentioned power train.

The above engine/trans combo is nearly the price of the restored 1965 Mustang. Duh? What a stupid comparison right off the BAT. o_O

When you spend $200,000 on a resto-mod, how do you even compare it to a like car you only spent $40,000 to restore? Some 30-40 year old clown must have written the article because he/she has no concept of the word "Value."

Hmmm, that would be like doing a resto-mod on a 1965 GTO installing an aftermarket Pontiac 535CI AI engine with RA V top end, 6-speed Tremec, new powder coated custom build frame, Moser 9", Bear 14" 8-piston calipers braking system, QA suspension and coil overs, 19" tires/rims, stainless steel exhaust system, new gas tank/intank fuel pump and lines, and all other needed mechanical parts, custom leather interior, new glass, digital dash, PB, PW, PS, Tilt, 10,000 Watt stero system with blue-tooth and National Defense uplinks, wet bar in the glove box, and assembly, body modifications, and laser straight bodywork/restoration performed by Kindig-It Design and then..............

Comparing it to the selling price of a restored original 1965 GTO by who knows who, but the selling price is $50,000.

This just goes to show you how ignorant people can be when writing articles like this and comparing apples to oranges. If you spend 150K to build a car and get 200K for it, how exactly does that compare to a car someone spent 40K to restore and got 50K for it?

The writer is probably the same type person who still lives at home with their parents because he/she is entitled to, has no clue what responsibility is, does not know how to accept accountability for his/her actions and blames everyone else because he/she is a victim, has a menial job that makes just enough for them to "get by" and has no savings in the bank, buys things on impulse because it makes them feel good and credit card debt never crosses their minds because you only have to pay the minimum, sips on Starbucks coffee, and goes out to eat for each meal unless mother cooks for them.

Yep, welcome to the new generation of up and coming car enthusiasts who don't know the difference between a metric adjustable wrench, a bucket of steam, and blinker fluid. (y)

· Premium Member
310 Posts
Sounds like a restomod is more modern than I thought.
I've been describing my '64 Tempest as a restomod because it is upgraded with A/C, power steering and brakes, 3-speed automatic, and a 428 from 1969. But I guess that doesn't really apply since it doesn't have features that weren't available in that time period. Is that correct?
It is still a regular carb but has electronic ignition module instead of points, and a Dakota Digital dash with dials. It's mostly original otherwise.
So how would my car be considered when I'm talking about it?

· Registered
1,164 Posts
I've been describing my '64 Tempest as a restomod because it is upgraded with A/C, power steering and brakes, 3-speed automatic, and a 428 from 1969. But I guess that doesn't really apply since it doesn't have features that weren't available in that time period. Is that correct?
It is still a regular carb but has electronic ignition module instead of points, and a Dakota Digital dash with dials. It's mostly original otherwise.
In my book, a resto mod is much as you described...at least a few upgrades and a few changes that takes the vehicle noticeably beyond stock. There's surely a fine line in there somewhere, like adding AC, a dual brake master, and a non-born-with paint color. This would keep it from being a restomod, but throw a souped up engine under the hood and it's crossed the line...barely. A resto mod is born at this point and the sky's the limit from there.

The key is in the shortened term "resto-mod"...meaning restored to like new condition, not like factory or "concours correct", but with modifications outside of OEM.

· Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Restomod Lite...looks great, more reliable 😉

· Registered
66/67 Pontiac
1,048 Posts
I think the Term should be RestoModern. cause by definition every classic I had is a RestoMod even when no one ever called it that. Just like SUV should only be applied to AWD soccer mobiles not a 84 Blazer

Can I tell you how much I hate when people apply current terms to things in the past. We had terms for them use them. We dont have to continually refine every thing.

· Premium Member
310 Posts
I think the Term should be RestoModern. cause by definition every classic I had is a RestoMod even when no one ever called it that. Just like SUV should only be applied to AWD soccer mobiles not a 84 Blazer
I like that term. If a car is restored and period correct options are added or colors are changed then resto-mod makes sense. And there are some modern changes that don't provide any modern features but they are just the easiest or cheapest way to get your car working reliably again.

I've seen many cars with full upgrades to modern suspensions, engines, electronics, interiors, fiberglass/aluminum body parts, etc. About all that makes it a "classic" is that it looks like one from the outside at a distance. LOL

I'd take any of them though, as long as I could drive it and enjoy the thumbs-up and waves I get from passing cars.

· Registered
7,373 Posts
I like that term. If a car is restored and period correct options are added or colors are changed then resto-mod makes sense. And there are some modern changes that don't provide any modern features but they are just the easiest or cheapest way to get your car working reliably again.

I've seen many cars with full upgrades to modern suspensions, engines, electronics, interiors, fiberglass/aluminum body parts, etc. About all that makes it a "classic" is that it looks like one from the outside at a distance. LOL

I'd take any of them though, as long as I could drive it and enjoy the thumbs-up and waves I get from passing cars.
If it is just the body that represents the car that it was and everything under the skin has been changed out or upgraded to non-factory...................it should be called a RE-CREATION of the original car.

· Registered
66/67 Pontiac
1,048 Posts
If it is just the body that represents the car that it was and everything under the skin has been changed out or upgraded to non-factory...................it should be called a RE-CREATION of the original car.
I think the quickest way to that is remove outer skin and plunk it on a skinned modern car. I saw one on a friends Youtube channel from Power tour. I think the skin was a road runner on a Hellcat. But if you do that I think you should just turn your Hellcat into a pirate ship and mount a cannon on front.🏴‍☠️

1 - 12 of 12 Posts