Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious, did anyone buy up thier factory warranty? I plan on keeping my car for ....... a while. So when purchasing it I paid over $2k to bump the 3/36 bumper to bumper to 5/75 b2b. I got a little card in the mail to show the extended coverage. My logic was that with 400HP things are bound to bend or break!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Be cautious, some extended warranty companies will try to do anything to get out of paying, and when they have to they use used parts or cheap aftermarket!!!! (I deal with them everyday) There are a few of them out there that are good, however!! :cheers

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I got my 5/75 as part of my price negotiations. The advantage is, if they discount the warranty and you sell the car early, you only get a refund off of the discounted price. In my case I paid full price for the warranty and they discounted the car to cover the warranty cost.
Also I agree with Gtodealer about off brand warranties. A friend purchased a warranty from a company on a car that he bought. They sent a nice packet in the mail, and in it was an offer to put warranties on any other cars he owned. He did that on his two other cars. About two months later his transmission went out on the one car and he called the warranty company to find out they went out of business. He ended up out the cost of three warranties, plus had to pay for a transmission.
Also when you go to a GM dealer with a GMPP they seem to take better care of you.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, this is actually just bumping the factory 3/36 to 5/75. I would agree that aftermarket extended warranties are usually not worth the money, too many exclusions. I had a 5/60 on my last car and was happy to have had it when the AC compressor died. When the finance guy asked me about the warranty I immediatly said no, and while he was punching keys I stated my opinion about extended warranties and when he told me it was the same B2B offered by the manufaturer I couldnt resist.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
Well, this is actually just bumping the factory 3/36 to 5/75. I would agree that aftermarket extended warranties are usually not worth the money, too many exclusions. I had a 5/60 on my last car and was happy to have had it when the AC compressor died. When the finance guy asked me about the warranty I immediatly said no, and while he was punching keys I stated my opinion about extended warranties and when he told me it was the same B2B offered by the manufaturer I couldnt resist.
Exact same thing I got, but with a $50 deductible after 36k/36months. They told me it was worth $1500 because of the deductible, but I think it was 2k without. I'm with you, would never be without it. All it takes is 1 component of this beast to fail in 75k and you get your money back.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took my GTO into the dealer today. After wading through a sea of Q-tips waiting for thier Buicks to get serviced I found my way to the service manager. I asked him about some performance mods for my GTO. His reaction was one of astonishment. He asked me why would I want to do that? I didnt really have an answer for him, I guess he has spent too much time replacing dry rotted tires on 10 year old buicks with 5000 miles. He told me GM will never have anything like that for that car. Whatever. I asked him about CAI's, reprogramming my DIC to enable the shift light, ECM tuning and supercharging. He said never heard of programming the DIC for a shift light, didnt know it had one but it wouldnt affect my warranty. I could do the CAI if I wanted, it wouldnt affect the warranty. As for tuning the ECM, if I did that it would completely void my warranty as would a supercharger. He said if I made any changes that would change the output power of the vehicle it would void my warranty. I can understand the supercharger but the tuning thing really suprised me. Is this pretty standard?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Reprogramming anything in the ECM will void the warranty. The first thing they will do is check the codes. That's why a chip would be better in the early life of the ride. You program the chip to override the ECM. If you bring it in, take the chip out and the ECM will be factory.

If you have the ECM reflashed for about $300, they could reset it to factory if you bring it in.

Dave

·
Registered
364 Posts
JTYLER1604 said:
Yeah - I am paying an extra $15/mo. for coverage up to 48k miles or 4 years. They wanted 20 a month and i said no thanks, then he dropped it down and since they're giving me free oil changes for life, i said what the hell, only another fifteen bucks.
Hey I am about to get my first oil change will they use the recommended Mobile 1?? I also have free oil changes for life.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I bought the 100k mile warranty...which is really only good for ~2-1/2 years of driving for me. The 36k mile standard warranty is pathetic and, frankly, embarrassing when most other mfg go at to 50k.

I only really plan on using it for catastrophic stuff...the last GM I owned (an S10 V6 p/u) threw a connecting rod through the block...

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Groucho said:
I bought the 100k mile warranty...which is really only good for ~2-1/2 years of driving for me. The 36k mile standard warranty is pathetic and, frankly, embarrassing when most other mfg go at to 50k.

I only really plan on using it for catastrophic stuff...the last GM I owned (an S10 V6 p/u) threw a connecting rod through the block...
Ouch, let me guess, the wonderfully designed 2.8....hehehe, I agree about the embarassing 36k warranty, GM needs to pull their heads out of their asses..... :cheers

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
GTODEALER said:
Ouch, let me guess, the wonderfully designed 2.8....hehehe, I agree about the embarassing 36k warranty, GM needs to pull their heads out of their asses..... :cheers
That was the one...

Hmmm...let me re-enact it:

tick...tick...tick-tick-tick-tickticktickticktickticktick BOOM!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.