Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Factory wheel discoloration and hairline cracks

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jpalamar 
#1 ·
2005 with factory 17's - never seen winter or salt

Drivers rear wheel has discolored and looks light gold in comparison to other 4 wheels. It also has a bunch of little cracks like it has a clear or protective coating that is failing if your up close to it.

I cleaned it with wheel cleaner many times and no change.

Is there a coating on the wheels and what is it?

Anyone know what the issue might be, if this is common (must not be as I couldn't find anything in forums on)

Also looking for a way to fix myself or place hopefully in MN to get it refinished?

Might be cheaper to just buy a used on but mine is fine other wise and I prefer to not be wasteful.

Thanks for your time!

#2 ·
factory 17s are painted alloy...(probably clear coated as well)...usually when I see the goldish color it is from brake dust that wasn't removed (can be corrosive) and some wheel cleaners, especially when put on a warm or hot wheel can etch the finish...

If one of these is your issue, the wheel refinisher should be able to fix you up for not a real lot of cash...good luck and let us know the outcome...

Bill

#3 ·
Ok so painted and then cleared - good info!

Now I have something to work off, I'll make some calls this week.

---
Side notes:

Wheels are always cleaned with Turtles Wax Ice car wash when I wash the car and never have left brake dust on. Only used Mother Tire car wash after discoloration issue started which I like for my truck rims. Yeah some stuff it to abrasive.

I did get some salt slush on the wheel last winter in the garage it was parked next to my truck and I stepped in some slush pile that fell of the truck and splashed that rim and tire only, I washed it off immediately with water but can only figure that caused the issue if it is a painted finish.

Thanks!

#5 ·

I did get some salt slush on the wheel last winter in the garage it was parked next to my truck and I stepped in some slush pile that fell of the truck and splashed that rim and tire only, I washed it off immediately with water but can only figure that caused the issue if it is a painted finish.

Thanks!
I drove my car through several winters and rarely washed it when it was cold. My wheels didn't have these issues. Sounds like a factory defect.

Eitherway, I'd get them powdercoated. Probally will cost the same as having somone come out and do an 'okay' job on site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.