Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the fenders off. One fender was a replacement and had the 3/8 stamped nuts on the studs, the other -which was original as far as we know, had compression clips in the holes, the emblem studs were just pushed through them. So which is original and correct?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
727 Posts
Do the press-in clips look like these?:

https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/Detail_Web?part_num=C101A&order_number_e=MzMxODcyMg%3D%3D%0A&web_access=Y

These pressed-in "barrel" clips are aftermarket replacements.
You can get 4 of them for $2.00 from Ames Performance.Ames Performance Engineering, Classic GTO Parts, Firebird Parts, and Full Size Pontiac restoration parts.

It's not very noticeable, but the barrel clips don't allow the emblem to fit tightly to the fender; the emblem will sit slightly "proud" of the fender surface (about 0.030").

I have used both clip styles on various cars over the years. You can't beat the convenience of the barrel clips, but I prefer the OEM style nuts because I can get the emblems snug against the fender and therefore less likelihood of snagging car wash rags and polishing cloths on the emblems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes they were barrel clips, as we were taking the fender off it became apparent that it was a replacement. I can see that the barrel nuts are very handy though and these were fit fairly tight, I didnt notice any difference from the nuts on the other fender but im sure there are many instances where this is not the case.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts