Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. The final #'s are in and I am saddened by this.

I just got off the phone and I committed to an extra 20 cars.

We will be recieving out last GTO's in June. My dealership committed to an extra 20 above our normal 36 allocation.

So 56 GTO's are all I will have from Holden.

Man I am bummed out right now.

Anyways.... If you know somoene that is interested send em my way.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So GM will no longer make any for 07 ? Wow wont this kill the value of this vehicle ? Its wierd beause in my area south fla dealers seem to have a hard time keeping them on the lot with the exception of a few they seem to sell like crazy.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lotaguts said:
So GM will no longer make any for 07 ? Wow wont this kill the value of this vehicle ? Its wierd beause in my area south fla dealers seem to have a hard time keeping them on the lot with the exception of a few they seem to sell like crazy.

Actually in my opinion it will increase their value. ESPECIALLY in the private sector.

The only time it hurts your resale is if they close down becasue of poor sales or poor quality. Neither is the case for the GTO. It sells excellent considering the amount of marketing it has. It was never planned to be a long term project, nor a high production vehicle. Although GM was hoping to get to close to 20,000 a year. The Aussies could not deliver their expected #'s

I personally like this fact. It will only make our cars more valued in the years to come. Hell in 20 years they will be extremely rare and many will more than likely have no idea what they are.

GM hopefully will use the GTO as the Pontiac RWD Sports car produced at the Zetta plant. But, to my knowledge, I do not think there have been any offical word on that.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Does this mean that there ABSOLUTELY will NOT be a GTO for 2007????

If this is the case, I am actually happy about it.... think of it this way. GM will not come out with a new body style, which means ours will never look old.

Collector value is now going to go up considerably.

In 10 years what will be worth more money. A 2005 GTO or a 2005 Mustake.

I'm cool with that!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's a good news bad news kinda deal. Good news, resale values will stay strong. There were lots of people that wanted the car but could not afford the $30K price tag. They will however keep resale values strong as there will be lots of buyers (demand) for a limited car with around 35,000 total built. i predict resale will hover in the 15-20K range for a long time. Bad news, factory parts will dry up faster than a mud puddle in the Arizona dersert sun. GM will not keep parts around for a car with limited sales numbers like the GTO. 3 year run, less than 35,000 total, when the initial supply of parts runs out on slow moving items or when the tooling wears out on replacement items that moved a little faster, look for the part to be discontinued. And do not count on much help from the aftermarket. The only parts with widespread availability will be the LS2 stuff everything else will be scarce.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LS2FAST said:
Does this mean that there ABSOLUTELY will NOT be a GTO for 2007????

If this is the case, I am actually happy about it.... think of it this way. GM will not come out with a new body style, which means ours will never look old.

Collector value is now going to go up considerably.

In 10 years what will be worth more money. A 2005 GTO or a 2005 Mustake.

I'm cool with that!!!
:agree 100%

Yes. No 07 GTO. Holden has already shut down the plant(I think)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
theamcguy said:
It's a good news bad news kinda deal. Good news, resale values will stay strong. There were lots of people that wanted the car but could not afford the $30K price tag. They will however keep resale values strong as there will be lots of buyers (demand) for a limited car with around 35,000 total built. i predict resale will hover in the 15-20K range for a long time. Bad news, factory parts will dry up faster than a mud puddle in the Arizona dersert sun. GM will not keep parts around for a car with limited sales numbers like the GTO. 3 year run, less than 35,000 total, when the initial supply of parts runs out on slow moving items or when the tooling wears out on replacement items that moved a little faster, look for the part to be discontinued. And do not count on much help from the aftermarket. The only parts with widespread availability will be the LS2 stuff everything else will be scarce.
They will have to keep them for a minimum of 10 years. They one of the big parts distributers will pick up the parts. Also....ALLOT of this vehicle will be in the new camaro.

·
Registered
46 Posts
dealernut said:
They will have to keep them for a minimum of 10 years. They one of the big parts distributers will pick up the parts. Also....ALLOT of this vehicle will be in the new camaro.
That's a fallacy, urban legend. The manufacturer can delete a part any time it wants. In their initial order they order enough for build a stock for replacement. As the replacement stock falls each number is evaluated for restock. Those that sell well get restocked those that don't get dropped. If the tooling needs to be redone that figures into replacement cost. There just will not be enough numbers to justify GM keeping replacement stock around for very long. Sorry I've seen it before and it will happen with this car too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
theamcguy said:
That's a fallacy, urban legend. The manufacturer can delete a part any time it wants. In their initial order they order enough for build a stock for replacement. As the replacement stock falls each number is evaluated for restock. Those that sell well get restocked those that don't get dropped. If the tooling needs to be redone that figures into replacement cost. There just will not be enough numbers to justify GM keeping replacement stock around for very long. Sorry I've seen it before and it will happen with this car too.
Sorry, but I hate to disagree. It is LAW that the manufacturer must be able to supply parts for seven years after discontinuation date. This does not mean they have to make new products, or retool, etc. It just means they must meet the supply and demand for that time frame. So technically if the GTO is discontinued in 2007, then GM will have to be able to provide service parts for it until 2014. Now with that said in 2014 their stock will be very slim if any at all, and they may have to ship from cross country or form Australia (where they shipped my gas pedal from). But the part will have to be available.

·
Registered
454 Posts
lotaguts said:
I can't for the life of me fiqure out how it would "kill the value of this vehicle"

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have the Car an Driver review of the 04 GTO on my TIVO, and even back then they said that GM planned to make the GTO for only 3 years. You never know, the GTO may survive. Time will tell. If they build that new Camaro I'll be happy, and since my 04 GTO is such a rare car, maybe they will trade me straight up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm surprized that this isn't a bigger thread then it is yet. Maybe its just me, I had no idea that the GTO was destined for a 3 year lifespan. I get the impression that GM has no confidence in promoting the GTO, but would rather fall back on its same old tricks. I was glad to see the Camaro come to an end. It was about time for a change of pace, the mullet stigma of a Camaro drove me to consider anything else that had decent performance. If the goat hadn't come along I would have ended up with a G35, 350Z, or Dodge Magnum. I'm glad to see the GTO, Charger, and Challenger, you can keep the tired, old, unoriginal camaros and mustangs. I'm just glad I got one while I could.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
6.0GTO said:
I'm surprized that this isn't a bigger thread then it is yet. Maybe its just me, I had no idea that the GTO was destined for a 3 year lifespan. I get the impression that GM has no confidence in promoting the GTO, but would rather fall back on its same old tricks. I was glad to see the Camaro come to an end. It was about time for a change of pace, the mullet stigma of a Camaro drove me to consider anything else that had decent performance. If the goat hadn't come along I would have ended up with a G35, 350Z, or Dodge Magnum. I'm glad to see the GTO, Charger, and Challenger, you can keep the tired, old, unoriginal camaros and mustangs. I'm just glad I got one while I could.

The GTO was never really supposed to compete with the Mustang or fill in for the lost Trans Am. It was meant to be a low production seller. In this case the car succeeded. The LS1 was the only GTO they had a hard time selling and that was because GM opened their mouth about the LS2 coming out so everyone waited. Hell I was one of them.

The marketing was low on the car becasue there was not enough supply of the car to justify marketing. Marketing cost millions of dollars and it makes no sense when they only have 12,000(approx) of a car produced each year.

Could the GTO sell better? Yes. Absolutley, without a doubt. Simple marketing would more than double the cars #'s in sales. But that would only waste marketing money on cars that need the help,(like the G6 and the torrent).

You will not see many commericals on the Solstice for the same reasons. It would just not make sense $ wise.

I would love to see the GTO made at the Zetta plant. It should be extremely similar to the car we are in structurally. But the skin will be different.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LS2FAST said:
Sorry, but I hate to disagree. It is LAW that the manufacturer must be able to supply parts for seven years after discontinuation date. This does not mean they have to make new products, or retool, etc. It just means they must meet the supply and demand for that time frame. So technically if the GTO is discontinued in 2007, then GM will have to be able to provide service parts for it until 2014. Now with that said in 2014 their stock will be very slim if any at all, and they may have to ship from cross country or form Australia (where they shipped my gas pedal from). But the part will have to be available.

:agree .... according to the manager of our parts warehouses in the south east region, the cars must be held for 10 years based on federal law.

However, that is pure stock parts and there will be no updates to the mechanical aspect of them. So from what you are saying theamcguy you are partially correct. But I assure you we still have all parts for our Oldsmobiles and they went away with the DoDo quite a long time ago.

But I can guarantee that one of the parts distributers out there will pick up the GM's shares of the parts when the time frames go up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.