Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally did it. I just completed the muffler delete. It took me about 3 hours (I like to take my time, cleaning, painting, etc..) I have to redo the left one (drivers side) tomorrow, I cut it about 1 1/2" too short. I'll weld in a piece to extend it a bit, no problem. I have to tell you this. This mod IS NOT for the faint at heart! I didnt unbolt the mufflers and listen to see what it would sound like first, I just did it. When I started it up for the first time it sounded like a stock car! It's LOUD. I have one question for those that have done this mod. The popping on decel, will this go way or get quieter? I only ran the car after for about 15 min. I dont know about performance gains from this mod, but, dam....it sounds like a fire breathing dragon!!!!:willy:

·
Registered
498 Posts
:cheers

The poping tends to calm down a bit, but not much. Isn't it a nice feeling seeing those tremendous muffs coming off the car???

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hell yeah! Those things are heavy! It was pretty straight forward, except for my mistake. I didnt take into consideration that the 3" pipe would slip OVER the stock exhaust pipe nearest the flange! That's where my 1 1/2" short came from. The right side couldnt be any more perfect. I'm happy! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did! It looked like the "sound deadening material" was concrete!!!:willy:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Popping doesn't go away. Put headers on still popping. Took the SLP bullet mufflers of and put two Magnaflow bullets on, still popping.

Betcha throw some mufflers on soon. :lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you want to mellow the tone out, do like what I did to mine when i did the muffler delete...take out the resonator and replace it with an x-pipe.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update!!!

WoW! I could not stand it any longer! It was just to loud and to "un-refined" for me. It felt like I was driving a 1965 Ford Pick-up. I put my mufflers back on Sun, for now, until I get my LOUDMOUTH cat back. For some people this would be a great MOD, just not for me. I took a ride with my wife to WAL-MART and I could'nt even talk to her. She goes "it sounds like you dont have any mufflers" Dont get me wrong I like it loud, but it didnt even sound good. (for me) anyway thanks for all your help and feedback. :cool

1 - 8 of 8 Posts