Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car will be going to a shop in Lockport,Il. Its scheduled to be picked up right before Christmas and he said it should take 4 months. (I figure 5 months). It will cost $20K + parts. (I figure $23K + parts). If it comes out closer to his numbers I'll just be happier. I am going to use Ames parts, if someone has had better luck with others, let me know for I will be starting to get my order together as soon as my shop and body manual arrives. I know I want white interior now I just have to decide on a body color. Am thinking Marina Turquoise, Blue Charcoal, or Fontaine Blue. Decisions, decisions! :willy:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
His shop labor rate is $50 an hour, a lot cheaper than the other 3 estimates I got and I know a guy who had his 1957 T-Bird done there and it turned out very nice and close to the estimate. Theres body work, engine work, and interior work too. Basically the car is going to be stripped to body and frame, bushings between body and frame replaced, media blasted top and bottom and undercoated. Engine will have all the rubber gaskets replaced along with the head gaskets, water pump, carb rebuilt, radiator, front and rear suspension among other things and the interior will completely be replaced. Lot of work.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks crustysack. I am going though the Ames catalog and making out an order list now and then going to cross reference everything to the PDF I downloaded from there. Its easier for me to deal with a paper book in the begining.
Sorry Eric, its going to be some shade of blue, probably marina turquoise.

Also is it a good idea to change the rear axle seals and bearings or just leave them alone? Nothings wrong with them, the car moves fine. Just thinking of things to replace now while the car is being done. Parts look relatively cheap but I dont know the labor involved with it.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
thats not included in the price already:willy: just kidding- have they ever been done before if not now will be the time and it will be a lot less to service than to fix something that breaks

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Thanks crustysack. I am going though the Ames catalog and making out an order list now and then going to cross reference everything to the PDF I downloaded from there. Its easier for me to deal with a paper book in the begining.
Sorry Eric, its going to be some shade of blue, probably marina turquoise.

Also is it a good idea to change the rear axle seals and bearings or just leave them alone? Nothings wrong with them, the car moves fine. Just thinking of things to replace now while the car is being done. Parts look relatively cheap but I dont know the labor involved with it.
I agree the Parts Place web site isn't easy to use but then neither is Ames. I too like a book and I only have the Ames catalog at this time. I should order a Parts Place catalog...:rolleyes: Anyway, once you get a list with part numbers, call the Parts Place. That's what I did and they know by the Ames or manufacturer's numbers what you want and will get you a price. You could save a considerable amount on shipping by picking the parts up instead.

Marina Turquoise with the Parchment interior will be a knock-out...:cool

Axle seals and bearings are a pretty easy preventive maintenance item to do now. Change the gear lube too and the front seal while you're in there. Then it's all done.

I can't believe crusty didn't address you're body shop "estimates" but you should have a written statement that they will call at a certain dollar amount for your approval to go ahead. An "open wallet" approach without any contract could be a shock later.
Good luck.......post progress pics....:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just found out from a friend that if I buy online from a place in state I will have to pay sales tax so I will buy from Ames. Sales tax is quite high here in Illinois and even more in Cook County. Well I finished the list for today, so far its up to $5300 in parts and I still have the interior and the engine to do plus everything I forgot and am unaware of. I am figuring a 9K order including Rally 1 rims. I'll get 8% off so that should cover shipping. Engine should be easy, just belts and gaskets, engine harness, battery cables, tune up parts and maybe a carb rebuild kit. Interior will be close to 2K.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
If it was me and I had a 9k order with 1 vendor, they would be discounting it at least 10% AND free shipping. Call them and see what they offer and then tell them what you would like. The Parts Place was going to provide free shipping to a terminal here in the cities if I placed a $3500 order. I'm sure Ames will work with you for that kind of coin.....:willy:

Are you going with PUI or Legendary for the interior ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PUI. Is that the better of the two? Thanks for the advice of calling them, I was going to do that anyway but I am happy for all your advice. For me this is a once in a lifetime adventure. :)

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
The top grade of PUI is on about the same level as Legendary but Legendary has traditionally been a little more accurate on color and fit. The down side of them is that they only focus on seats and door panels. I don't know if they provide headliners, I haven't looked into that. They will provide carpet but it is the same manufacturer that all the rest sell too and it is less expensive on a big order.
Last year, right about this time, a rep from Legendary posted on here with a 10% discount on orders placed before the end of the year. Maybe we will hear from him again...:)

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
what level of`resto' is the shop going to do to the car

(i'm busy searching for a camshaft so i'm in a hurry),i do autobody repair/restoration and have for 30 years next month,,the way it's gone around here is 5 huge shops battling tooth and nail for the collision work,4-5 shops doing `street rod' work,,,that leaves ME doing muscle cars era cars,witch,,IS MY era,i charge 25.00 and often i spend more time on something than i feel i can bill,,,,,,,,,,but i'm booked thru the end of the year

i'm NOT hammering you for your job just trying to get a handle on it,it `sorta happened' this way to me,HAD a downtown shop full of unhappy employees,wife hated the biz due to the employees;),,,i started a fishing guide service but of course,kept doing autobody work at my house,,one `shop' did the same thing;burned out on dealing with adjusters,low profit margins/parts nightmares he bought a place out of town and does street rod stuff,the employees `flag' the hours the end of the day and that's what the customer [email protected] 50 per no `grand total' price(open end) witch also doesn't seem fair to the customers=?

my take is the lack of downtown overhead should dictate a lower flat rate,,anyway,,the way last year went i'm EMBRACING resto work with no desire to go into town and do crash work,i get one every couple weeks and that's enough,current crop in the shop is;65 mustang convert strip repaint,78 ford hiboy 4x4(have it as long as i want) R/R chrome color change two tone,74 nova strip repaint,one of 4 i'm doing for the same guy and a 64'? fairlane,hey i better go call that guy!!!,,,,,,i forgot him the last 2 days!!,,,,,,,,,it's a fabulous ford dec.!;)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts