Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In my last thread, I mentioned I had wanted a 'gift for myself' on my birthday. I had sold my 03 Mustang (bright yellow gt convertible) for a Buick Rendezvous. Bored to death with a practical car :rolleyes: I test drove a Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, Cadillac CTS, and had my eyes on the new GTO.

I knew that the LS2 400 horsepower engine would be ALOT, but I wasn't sure what the car around it would be like. I scheduled a test drive for a black automatic (so my girlfriend could drive), and headed out to the nearest dealership. Leaving the cozy leather seats of my Buick SUV, I was surprised to feel that the seats in the GTO were BETTER! The attractive red interior was very easy on the eyes, and there was nothing cheap about the build of the interior. This surprised me, being used to the cheap leather seats and plasticy interior of my previous 03 Mustang. The seats really fit you in snugly, and the car around you is proportioned just right. The Mitsubishi I drove was so cramped I had to take off my jacket to feel like I had more room. Being 6'1, this interior was nice...

The dealer told me to listen carefully to how the stock exhaust sounded as I turned it on. Wow :eek: , there is NO doubt there is a big motor under the hood just waiting for you to open 'er up! I grinned somehow without even knowing it...it just came. So I pulled it out of the parking space and eased it out of the dealership, as an old man in a large Buick zipped right into the lot and took up the whole road nearly hitting the car! I slammed on the brakes (which work plenty well) and the dealer commented 'yeah, we have alot of old people here, they drive pretty crazy!'. Once I collected myself, I pulled out onto a two lane open stretch of road going downhill. At first, I was carefully driving down the road enjoying it in moderation...and I hear a 'c'mon!' from the backseat. The dealer wanted me to see what it had. I pushed the pedal down halfway, felt it speed, then pushed it all the way down to the floor. The car screamed all the way from 45 to 80 in seconds! Just feeling it go so fast and so smooth made me say 'h o l y s h i t!'. I don't normally cuss when my girlfriend is in the passenger seat next to me, I usually reserve the cussword for one of those moments that really deserve it when I am around her. This was definately one of those moments! I looked in my rear-view mirror and see our little dealer in the back seat with a huge grin on his face...kinda looked like this --> :D

The road winded around the edge of Wright Patterson AFB, where there is lots of open road with C5 galaxy's flying overhead. It was the only sunny day we had all month, and it just so coincidentally happened to be on the same day I scheduled the drive. Having the car on such a beautiful day was liberating! I felt like with this thing I would own all...leaving that Eclipse I test drove earlier well behind in my side-view mirror like it didn't even matter anymore. I once said 'wow, that's fast' when test driving the Eclipse, but the fact that this car was so amazingly fast drew a curseword right out of my mouth means the Eclipse doesn't even compare!

Eventually I had to pull over and let my girlfriend drive. It was hard to do, but seeing how much fun she had in the thing made it all better. She is normally a 'sane' driver, but something about that car made her into a NASCAR racer. I can't believe how comfortable the thing is. It is a really well built car! There is not one thing I don't like about it!

On the way back I was telling my sweetheart about how awesome that car was. It came up how there were crazy people out there who didn't like it because it didn't 'follow it's heritage'. Annetta said 'Yeah, everything about that car was great!'. We then agreed that moving forward with the GTO was much better than looking behind. I just can't get myself to like the new 'retro' Mustang...or even worse the 4 DOOR Charger! I say leave the accidents to Ford and Dodge, and we'll take our GTO for ourselves.

Now I just have to wait for my birthday, and we'll see what crazy idea's I have then :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Didn't we tell you that it would be irrisistable? I've had mine nearly a year and a half and still smile while driving it, especially when giving it to someone who clearly doesn't deserve a license. June is a long ways off yet, hope you have better self control than I do, 'cause I know I couldn't take that wait.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I swear, the GTO must pump heroin thru the vents, cause when I took it for a test drive i was hooked, there was no way I could leave there without it. And now, everytime I get into it, I end up with that same ear to ear grin as I did the frist time. The best thing you could do for yourself is buy it like the rest of us did, you will not regret it. The longer you wait, the longer the doubts will cloud you judgement of wheter or not to get it. Thats why I just said hell with it and signed the papers on the spot, before the rush wore off and the reasonable part of my brain could stop me. Besides, just think about how sweet it would be crusing down the raod thinking to yourself, I can beat that one and that one and that one. lol This could be you -->:cool

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trust me, it is all too tempting to get it now. However, this is Ohio and (not including this weekend) there are salt on the roads, snow and slush. It would eat right through a nice GTO. Also, I owe more on my Rendezvous than what it's worth, so I need to get that figure balanced rather than stacking that onto the cost of a GTO.

By June, I should have the Rendezvous paid down to what it's worth. That also gives me 6 months to sell the damn thing as well...since I can get more from someone else than at a dealership. The weather by then will be nice and sunny, and a GTO will be more enjoyable. A speeding ticket comes off my insurance in March, and my insurance will also drop because I will be 25. Therefore, what better time to get a goat.

I want to probably get my hands on a used 05, unless GM does the red tag on an 06 by then. Do you still think they'll have new 05's on the lot by june this year?

·
Registered
194 Posts
ForsakenNoob said:
Trust me, it is all too tempting to get it now. However, this is Ohio and (not including this weekend) there are salt on the roads, snow and slush. It would eat right through a nice GTO. Also, I owe more on my Rendezvous than what it's worth, so I need to get that figure balanced rather than stacking that onto the cost of a GTO.

By June, I should have the Rendezvous paid down to what it's worth. That also gives me 6 months to sell the damn thing as well...since I can get more from someone else than at a dealership. The weather by then will be nice and sunny, and a GTO will be more enjoyable. A speeding ticket comes off my insurance in March, and my insurance will also drop because I will be 25. Therefore, what better time to get a goat.

I want to probably get my hands on a used 05, unless GM does the red tag on an 06 by then. Do you still think they'll have new 05's on the lot by june this year?
I don't blame you about the salt and snow crap, mine is parked for the winter, Ii still see a couple 05's sitting at a lot everyday when I go to work, so you might be able to find one, I mean I got mine back in June and they had an 04 on the lot for $25k.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
ForsakenNoob said:
They will be around but you will have to search for them and not be particular on color. 05 used with low miles might be the better option.

·
Registered
305 Posts
As a 6'1'' individual as well I fit fine in the back, too.

Whenever I get someone bitching about getting in the back seat, I have two things to say:

1. I don't ride in the back so I don't give a s***.
2. Have you tried getting in the backseat of a Mustang? 'Nuff said.

And driving an '05 the next thing they say is "Does this seat going any quicker?'

And I say "No Daniel-sahn. You must exercise pa-shunce"

·
Registered
32 Posts
dealernut said:
Why do you say that? I am 6"1 265lbs and I fit fine in the back.
However, you probably wrote your response from the back seat beacuse you are still stuck there. ;)

Just kidding. I'm actually glad to see tall folks saying that the back seat is usable. It will help me build the 'family case' (like a business case, but you show usability instead of profitability) to buy a GTO this year.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
ralniv said:
However, you probably wrote your response from the back seat beacuse you are still stuck there. ;)

Just kidding. I'm actually glad to see tall folks saying that the back seat is usable. It will help me build the 'family case' (like a business case, but you show usability instead of profitability) to buy a GTO this year.
The "family case" you speak of is locked in with one thing(from my experience). Let the Case # take the car to work one day and watch all of the case's co-worker fondle the car and tell her how good it looks/sounds. Then your case is solved.

<whispers>
trust me it works

·
Registered
9 Posts
ForsakenNoob said:

try www.insurance-quote-free, my girl cost $200 because of speeding ticket way back from CA and see how other known insurance company are pricing..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.