Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was an '05 Evo, no special edition or anything, just regular ol' plain Jane Evo. I had met the guy before and we talked about the cars a little. He actually test drove a Goat before he got the Evo, but couldn't get the dealer to deal with him. Apparently the dealer told him that the Employee discount deal didn't apply to GTO's, and he wouldn't come off the $33,000. ANYWAY, he came out to our meet tonight. Afterwards I was turning right, back to my place and he was going straight. I get on it around the corner, and the next thing I know, there is Evo all up in my rear veiw and he gets up next to me and says, "We gotta make a run or two!" And I couldn't disagree, so out to "the spot" we go.

We make a couple 45 rolls on the way out to "the spot" and I put a solid 2.5 cars on him to 100 both times. He thought it was more like 3, but I always underestimate the gap. Then we get out to "the spot" to make a couple runs from a dig.

Run 1: I spin CRAZY through 1st and a little of 2nd, but he bogged so he only had 1 car on me. I pulled past him in 2nd and then on to about 2 cars by 110ish.

Run 2: He has an AWESOME launch, and I spin again, but feather the gas and hook up and start to pull. THEN I miss second :rolleyes:.

Run 3: I launch REALLY easy with a fair amount of clutch to keep from spinning and he bogs. I hear him yell an explative over both of our cars, but he still gets a car on me, but I reel him back in like the 1st run, but take it to 125, and 3 cars.

So 5 runs, GTO 4 Evo 1. But he is an awesome guy, and he asked me if I'd take him for a ride at the meet on Tuesday, and I couldn't say no, as long as I get a ride in the Evo. Hopefully he'll get some mods on it soon and we can run again. Those things BLAST off the line when its driven right. I mean I expected that, but damn, I've never seen it on the street! :eek: I wish I would have hit second on that 2nd run, it would have been interesting.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Imagine the damage you could have done with a set of drag radials!! Great kill though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Great Run man!!! :cheers
Yea I have yet to run against an EVO, most of them seem to know what a GOAT can do so they keep their distance,
My Brother has a 04 Subaru WRX STI and I have yet to race him I think I can take him.
And my causin is coming home next week for leave from being shipped to the Hurricane Katrina relief. He said he's going to drive his 97 Supra home from his base in Arizona, hopefully thatll be a good run!!!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
First of all, Nice kill :cheers

Yeah the power and the reputation of the goat as being a badass is truly getting out there. I guess a lot are realizing that the weight of the goat isn't that big of a factor after all. I keep hearing about how light other cars are, the all wheel drive, blah, blah, blah. When you factor in the power to weight ratio, the 400/400 that the goat has on tap, makes it on par if not better than most cars you wouldn't think of. Let's use a C5 as an example.

Mind you these are only averages so the numbers can vary. Also I don't want to hear about modded rides. When you test drive a car, it's stock. And what you feel during the test drive is what make you decide to buy the car. So what's modded out there isn't a factor now.

'05 GTO
3760 lbs. 400hp/400tq
3760 divided by 400 (for hp and tq) = 9.4 lbs per hp/tq

2000 - 2004 C5
3320 lbs. 350hp/350 tq. I could use the 345/350 rated '97 - '99 but I won't. But if you're wondering it's 9.62
3320 divided by 350 (for hp and tq) = 9.48 lbs per hp/tq

The Vette weighs in a bit heavier. Yeah, you couldn't feel the weight difference, but on race day every bit of weight counts. But regardless of that, they're pretty even.

Now the race comes down to the driver, weight of the car and driver, gearing, aerodynamics, etc. I'm sure that some of the losers are going, "How did that heavy bastard beat me?" Well, if they do the simple math, they'll see how.

As far as reputation. On the open freeway I pull along side an STi. I was in 3rd gear of course at around 65 mph as I was preparing to engage. The guy wouldn't even look my way let alone race. Countless '05 GT drivers have done the same... NOTHING! I was going along at a good clip one afternoon and I was coming up on a C5. The guy saw me coming and tried to take off but he had no chance because I was already moving pretty good. And as I approached and passed him, he let off and stayed at least a mile behind. A guy that I stomped in his SL500 pulled beside me in traffic one day in his Maxima and yelled to me, "Man that's one of the baddest rides on the streets". As we met again down the road, he says,"Oh, I remember you now. You beat me pretty bad one day when I was drivin my Benz". But we both understood that his ride is heavy and under powered compared to the goat. He was pretty cool but regardless he said he was pretty pissed that I had beaten him so easily. He said that because of the ass whooping I gave him, he's gonna buy a GTO. Look like we're gonna have another member of the family pretty soon :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a hard time getting people to run too. Also its hard finding races that are gonna be close. They are either alot slower or alot faster. Its cool and all to just unmercifully whoop someone, but its much more fun to have a fender to fender race that you have to work for. I raced my friends '01 Cobra and we were DEAD EVEN from 55-120 when I INCHED ahead. And I mean literally inches. That was a good race (he has a bunch of mods). Now when people start running their mouth its fun to destroy em, but most people are cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
First of all, Nice kill :cheers

Yeah the power and the reputation of the goat as being a badass is truly getting out there. I guess a lot are realizing that the weight of the goat isn't that big of a factor after all. I keep hearing about how light other cars are, the all wheel drive, blah, blah, blah. When you factor in the power to weight ratio, the 400/400 that the goat has on tap, makes it on par if not better than most cars you wouldn't think of. Let's use a C5 as an example.

Mind you these are only averages so the numbers can vary. Also I don't want to hear about modded rides. When you test drive a car, it's stock. And what you feel during the test drive is what make you decide to buy the car. So what's modded out there isn't a factor now.

'05 GTO
3760 lbs. 400hp/400tq
3760 divided by 400 (for hp and tq) = 9.4 lbs per hp/tq

2000 - 2004 C5
3320 lbs. 350hp/350 tq. I could use the 345/350 rated '97 - '99 but I won't. But if you're wondering it's 9.62
3320 divided by 350 (for hp and tq) = 9.48 lbs per hp/tq

The Vette weighs in a bit heavier. Yeah, you couldn't feel the weight difference, but on race day every bit of weight counts. But regardless of that, they're pretty even.

Now the race comes down to the driver, weight of the car and driver, gearing, aerodynamics, etc. I'm sure that some of the losers are going, "How did that heavy bastard beat me?" Well, if they do the simple math, they'll see how.

As far as reputation. On the open freeway I pull along side an STi. I was in 3rd gear of course at around 65 mph as I was preparing to engage. The guy wouldn't even look my way let alone race. Countless '05 GT drivers have done the same... NOTHING! I was going along at a good clip one afternoon and I was coming up on a C5. The guy saw me coming and tried to take off but he had no chance because I was already moving pretty good. And as I approached and passed him, he let off and stayed at least a mile behind. A guy that I stomped in his SL500 pulled beside me in traffic one day in his Maxima and yelled to me, "Man that's one of the baddest rides on the streets". As we met again down the road, he says,"Oh, I remember you now. You beat me pretty bad one day when I was drivin my Benz". But we both understood that his ride is heavy and under powered compared to the goat. He was pretty cool but regardless he said he was pretty pissed that I had beaten him so easily. He said that because of the ass whooping I gave him, he's gonna buy a GTO. Look like we're gonna have another member of the family pretty soon :D
:agree
You're about a 100lbs heavy on the C5. I tried when I had my GTO to get someone with a stock C5 to run me at the track. I couldn't. They just didn't want to know that the LS2 GTO is at the equal to the C5 in straight line performance. The way I saw it was C5 with 2.73 gears and an a4 would get beat. A C5 with 3.15 gears and a4 would be drivers race with slight advantage to the GTO. C5 6m would have an advantage over the GTO, but be so close as to be a drivers race.
But weight does matter, the C6 weighs 3130 and has the same LS2 and there are guys bone stock running 12.4's. Most are 12.8-12.9 while the GTO most run 13.3-13.4. Some guys have cracked the 12's but are the rarety. Guy's with DR's and a few mods run 12.6-12.8 with the GTO, but with the C6 and the same mods you get to knock on the 11's door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
big_mike said:
but hey, at least GTO guys pay a LOT less than that C6 guy...
I gotta tell you what I did the other night. Woke up and couldn't sleep. Went out to the garage to check out the car. I didn't have the key FOB with me so i couldn't open it. Pissed I went back and grabbed the Fob and walked back to the car. I grabbed number 2 which I hadn't programed yet so it didn't say hi to me on the DIC. So now that it DIC'd me off I had to get FOB 1. I got to wondering what would happen if I walked up to the car with both in the same pocket. Out of 12 times it found FOB 2 eight to four over FOB1. Toys, that's why you get a Vette.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
707GTOLS2 said:
My Brother has a 04 Subaru WRX STI and I have yet to race him I think I can take him.
If he can drive no u can't. I'll race any stock GTO in my area. Also an EVO on a roll is a joke u should have beat him by way more than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
InsaneSTi said:
If he can drive no u can't. I'll race any stock GTO in my area. Also an EVO on a roll is a joke u should have beat him by way more than that.
You mean a "Slow Turbo import"?
SLOW!!

I figure 3 cars from 45-100 is about right for a car that is supposed to trap about 4 mph slower than me. And just so you know, 3 cars is a mighty big gap to pull for a 50 mph race, so no, I DON'T think I should have pulled more. If you are trying to belittle my car or driving ability I think the numbers I put down at the track speak for themselves. Not that I am a stellar driver by any means, but I think me and my car can hold its own. Now I can understand you being jealous and upset because you have a weak pancake motor, but why be a jerk about it? ;)

More on topic, STi's are MARGINALLY faster than Evos, and even in the magazines, the GTO's trap a good bit higher than the weak Scooby's, so you should not have ANY problem at all with an STi from a roll OR a dig... even if you spin.
fergyflyer said:
while the GTO most run 13.3-13.4. Some guys have cracked the 12's but are the rarety.
12's aren't that hard. The only thing is that most people have yet to run in the cold. My car was built in June, so this is its first cold weather (well aside from when it was transported from the factory in Victoria to the boat). Many people haven't had the chance to get to the track with 60 or even 50 degree temps. I went a 13.08 at 108.75 when it was mid-high 70's and I know I'd go 12's if I could run when it gets cooler. But unfortunately I'll have a tune next time I run, so I won't get to be in the stock 12 second club. 97-00 C5's should be a really good race but end in a GTO victory, but 01-04's would be a tough call. C6's and C5 Z06's are just plain out of reach.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
I got a 12.895 at 109 out of mine with only 2000 miles on it. Temp was around 60-65 and the sun was out so it hooked up real good. So the GTO definately has 12's in it stock.
I was at Gainesville in 50 degree weather, but it was night and I couldn't get traction and when I finally did I smoked the clutch real bad.
The main point I was trying to make was about weight. Someone said weight doesn't matter because of how much power the GTO has. Well it does matter. A 500lb lighter C6 is about a 1/2 second to .7 quicker. A little bit is the aerodynamics, but mostly it's weight.

Now to the STI and EVO guys, Your cars will beat a stock Mustang GT from a dig. Your cars crush 350Z's. They handle like Go-Karts and are close to the limit as to the amount of fun a manufacturer should be able to sell. When it comes to a GTO, stock for stock, with decent drivers the GTO beats you in a 1/4. An 1/8 it's real close, I'd probably put my money on the STI. Traction and weight cannot overcome horsepower and aerodynamics for very long.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
fergyflyer said:
Someone said weight doesn't matter because of how much power the GTO has. Well it does matter.
If you're referring to what I wrote you need to read my post again. The point I was making is that the power to weight factor ALWAYS have to be considered. Simply put, the horsepower and torque of the 3760 lb. '05 goat is what allows it to outrun the lighter, lesser powered STi and Evo. My explanation should not be that hard to understand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
"Mind you these are only averages so the numbers can vary. Also I don't want to hear about modded rides. When you test drive a car, it's stock. And what you feel during the test drive is what make you decide to buy the car. So what's modded out there isn't a factor now.

'05 GTO
3760 lbs. 400hp/400tq
3760 divided by 400 (for hp and tq) = 9.4 lbs per hp/tq

2000 - 2004 C5
3320 lbs. 350hp/350 tq. I could use the 345/350 rated '97 - '99 but I won't. But if you're wondering it's 9.62
3320 divided by 350 (for hp and tq) = 9.48 lbs per hp/tq

The Vette weighs in a bit heavier. Yeah, you couldn't feel the weight difference, but on race day every bit of weight counts. But regardless of that, they're pretty even."

>You SHOULD compare the 2005 (c6) vette to the '05 GTO and not the C5 vette. I agree you should compare stock vs stock...because once the Mod factor kicks in all bets are off!...But part of comparing FAIRLY is comparing same year autos.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
DaVette said:
"Mind you these are only averages so the numbers can vary. Also I don't want to hear about modded rides. When you test drive a car, it's stock. And what you feel during the test drive is what make you decide to buy the car. So what's modded out there isn't a factor now.

'05 GTO
3760 lbs. 400hp/400tq
3760 divided by 400 (for hp and tq) = 9.4 lbs per hp/tq

2000 - 2004 C5
3320 lbs. 350hp/350 tq. I could use the 345/350 rated '97 - '99 but I won't. But if you're wondering it's 9.62
3320 divided by 350 (for hp and tq) = 9.48 lbs per hp/tq

The Vette weighs in a bit heavier. Yeah, you couldn't feel the weight difference, but on race day every bit of weight counts. But regardless of that, they're pretty even."

>You SHOULD compare the 2005 (c6) vette to the '05 GTO and not the C5 vette. I agree you should compare stock vs stock...because once the Mod factor kicks in all bets are off!...But part of comparing FAIRLY is comparing same year autos.
Wrong answer. Not once have I heard a guy with a C6 talk smack. But clowns in C5s think their Vettes can't be beat by a GTO. Besides I was just using an example of comparable power to weight ratios to show how close they were. What's up DaVette? You haven't been around in a while to give high praise to the Vettes in a while. In a jacked up kind of way, I missed rebutting most of your posts :D .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
NO...RIGHT answer! (Perhaps its because C6s haven't been around long enough to talk smack ;) )

Though if what you state is true, then Mods do count. You can't try to compare fairly just on your terms. With your thinking, why not compare a C3 or C4 to the 05 GTO? :rofl:

This is how I read your post...you attempted to compare two "equal" type HP vehicles stock for stock on power. Your intention was to show the 05 GTO is equal or better than the C5. Well, I would say, in general a C5 is faster than an 04 GTO, a C6 is faster than an 05 GTO, and 05 GTO is probably faster than a C5...hey it has 50-55 more HP...no surprise huh???

Now if I started with that comparison you made and used a C6 vs an 04 GTO...boy would I hear it from you wouldn't I?

Hey, I am pleased I am here for you to rebut me :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
That wasn't the issue. Well the hijacked issue anyway. You can compare any cars you want. I could say my car is faster than a 1988 Civic DX. That is true... plain and simple. It is a fair comparisn because there is no unfair benefit given to either side. The only point being made or rather conclusion trying to be reached is whether or not an '05 GTO is faster than a C5 vette. More accurately, an 01-04 Corvette. We all know C6's are faster than 05 GTO's the same way 01-04 C5's are faster than '04 GTO's. We're not saying the GTO is better than the Corvette in general, simply comparing the '05 GTO to a C5.

You think if I pulled up on a 20 year old kid in an '04 C5 on a deserted 4 lane highway and I revved at him he would roll down the window and say, "Hey, is that an '05? Oh nevermind, I was going to race you, but our cars aren't of the same model year. Sorry dude!"
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top