Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
462 motor on stand waiting for paint to dry so i can start assembly and i need to get the other disc brake assembly done tomorrow before i start engine, one phase at a time, need to borrow Harley mech across the streets box press to get front bushings and ball joint out and in then the susp/undercarriage and brakes will be complete, called friday and said gas tank is ready at strippers, had all the rustproof removed so i can spray it Zinc silver, will have all major parts to complete here within the next few weeks, get a great discount at aoutozone under friends bus account for the nuts and bolts stuff

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes mike, vinyl, headliner and carpet will be black, the pic of trunk is the original barrier blue, (notice cocked jacking instructions, guess thats how you know it is factory installed, you know we would all be measuring in even from all four edges before burnishing it on to remove every air bubble....lol) i had just a slight bit of metallic added to the mix and just had to overspray and clear the jambs after scuffing them up, dash was a little more work, need to get pad restretched, hate having to bite the bullet for 250 on that one, may try and do it myself, only thing i have not done myself is machine work on engine....thats a sweet looking camaro, grew up on firebirds, wish i had kept them 69'/76'/79' and a fun as hell 71' nova sleeper

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
30% done, 250% to go - lol. I bet a lot of time is blown just waiting.

you got that right, made the mistake of tabbing up all my E-bay and various expenses last night....OUCH!!!!, lucky i am not charging myself labor

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
you got that right, made the mistake of tabbing up all my E-bay and various expenses last night....OUCH!!!!, lucky i am not charging myself labor[/QUOTE]

I used to tally receipts and know where I was at. Now, I don't really manage receipts, and I just make up a number as to what I think I spent, makes me feel better, and keeps me right on budget!! :cheers

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
you got that right, made the mistake of tabbing up all my E-bay and various expenses last night....OUCH!!!!, lucky i am not charging myself labor[/quote]

I used to tally receipts and know where I was at. Now, I don't really manage receipts, and I just make up a number as to what I think I spent, makes me feel better, and keeps me right on budget!! :cheers
When I did mine I just stopped counting them after 10 grand. ;)

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used to tally receipts and know where I was at. Now, I don't really manage receipts, and I just make up a number as to what I think I spent, makes me feel better, and keeps me right on budget!! :cheers[/QUOTE]

Jet, Thats the premise is was working on, should have stuck with it...lol. Have all major parts in shop or on the way to finish it up. Busy weekend, Finished suspension and disc conversion, have to swap out front tires the 245/60 R15s will catch the front fender if i hit bump in corner, trying to find Dunlop GT 205/55 R15 NOS since they stopped making them, 245's will be spare backs, and the rake should give it a mean stance with the stock springs. Cleaned and swept shop, blew out any remaining sand from car outside and washed everything down with dawn to get any greasy hand prints off, organized and checked all engine parts, finished painting everything, soldered gas stem in and painted my gas tank (anyone have diagram of how sending unit goes back in). Picking up ignition from getting re-curved tomorrow, Lunati cam came in, along with 3 row core alum radiator. need to drop the trans and get it to a friend to check it out tomorrow, new U joints when i put it back in, will have to deal with the peg leg when i replenish funds in the spring. Kid that works for me is going to wire for the stereo and speakers tomorrow, really hoping to get this thing fired up before the snow starts to fly, but trying not to rush it, especially with the things i am new to like engine work. Will update pics when i start assembly

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
been plugging away between work and have the lower end assembled on the engine, had a little hold up with the rear seal (first two were wrong). while i was waiting was able to paint the inner fenders and hood jambs so i wont have to spray them over the new engine and it gave me a chance to test the adhesion of the Matrix paint and clear over the epoxy base. Also sourced a TH350 locally and modified a quicksilver ratchet shifter (have you seen what they are asking for his/hers?...OUCH) to fit the original console, still working on the indicator have an idea to get a fiber optic dot to float under the correct gear. Also picked up the final pieces of the interior a couple of original front armrests base and pads for 10.00 so only repop parts will be vinyls seat covers, headliner and carpet have legendary on shelf for after paint. picked up 65' corvair original buckets in perfect driver condition one small tear (repaired easily) they are the same cores as 65' GTO so i went with 65' seat vinyl and 66' door panels, besides how can you not love the 65' seats with the diagonal pipes and logo on all seats. also picked up second pair of badges doing a cloisonne black fill on the Tempest and red on the custom will keep my originals just that. Wired car for sound and built speaker cabinet to bolt up under package tray cutouts without modification, amp mounts under cabinet with 2-6x9 3-ways and one 8" sub in center hole all JBL - GTO series, fronts are mounted behind air vent grills, head unit and EQ in glovebox with remote and i-phone dock in console box all wired to second battery in trunk independent of original wire harness...take a look and let me know what you think

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g372/instg8ter/1966 Tempest/

1 - 20 of 49 Posts