Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
unbelieveable, I know, but it's in there. got the sucker christmastime last year, then waited on the backordered flamethrower III coil, got that two days before i shipped out and...long story short, 11 months later it's finally in the car.

first off, many many thanks to 68greengoat for helping me out along the way and answering my dozens of emails to get this thing installed.

now on to the good stuff,

seriously wish i'd done this earlier. car fires over without a hiccup now, just crank, vrooom, and smooooooth idle. engine became way more responsive to my throttle inputs. had to take her out for a quick spin of course, and found very quickly that the responsive throttle would translate to lots of squeeling rubber. :D the rev limiter kicks in right around 65 in 1st gear which is a helluvalot of of fun (but should probably wait till after a rebuild before i go pushing it too often.

the install went slow (as i mentioned i had tons of questions), and the best recommendation i can make (sorry troy, i'm disputing your knowledge here) is to put the rubber grommet in from the bottom of the distributor first, then snake the two pertronix wires through the top. had to lube the grommet up a bit with some oil i had laying around, but it got in there eventually. also, managed to pull a back muscle reaching from the fender to the center of the firewall, not sure how to avoid that but hey...just a warning.

one other thing i found interesting is how much quieter the exhaust got. smoother running yes, but surprised it toned it down.

i'll be running her out to san antonio this weekend (if i fix the gas gauge before then) so will let you all know whether the claims of improved MPG are true or not.

so once again, thanks to green goat for the help along the way, now i just need to get my new intake set up and a posi out back. think that'll be enough for me :cool

·
Registered
481 Posts
I just put in the pertronix ignitor I and it now doesn't take as long to fire up, 2-3 cranks compared to 5-6 it use to. I'm wondering if I should add the coil as well though.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
You haven't got the intake and carb on yet?? That will really wake the car up and kill the MPG, lol..
Without a gas gauge I would estimate 10 MPG, have a spare five in the trunk and go. Fill it up when it gets to half tank and adjust the MPG based on that. The 2 barrel should get good mileage. Congrats on the ignition upgrade, nice.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Thanks Steve! Always willing to help out where and when I can....:)

I did the wires thru the grommet b/4 installing the grommet, because for me, it worked out the best. I tried installing the grommet first, but for the life of me, I couldn't get the wires thru. Ya, stretching out to reach everything was a pain, literally. Well worth the effort tho.......:cheers

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
x - get the coil, the flamethrower III only ran me about 35 bucks, but the backorder damn near killed me.

jetstang - i got about 14 mpg highway before the ignitor, sky's the limit! haha. The intake is heading to the shop to be blasted and anodized, just need to pick a color, after that it'll go on there and i'll never have to worry about cleaning it again :)

goat - hey what can i say, younger eyes maybe?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I bought a pertronix II about two months ago, still haven't gotten around to putting it in. I need to get my butt in gear and do some work before it gets too cold outside.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
I don't know why you young guys are reaching into the engine bay. Yank that sucker out and install on the work bench... Work smarter, not harder...:lol:

Next time you have a spare hour or so, pull the plugs and open the gap to .045. That will utilize the extra voltage of the coil and it will almost squeal the tires in nuetral....:cheers

Yes, waiting 5 months for the coil sucked...:eek:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I agree with TMP, mark the location of the vac can and the rotor, pull it out, repair, and drop it back in, make sure it flushes to the manifold, it it doesn't then it's not in the same location as it's not engaging the oil pump shaft...
What are they claiming out of the coil? I put an accel on my 5.0 Mustang thinking I would pick up a .10th or so, didn't do anything. Quality coils, as other ignition parts all add up, but I don't think I would run out to get a hipo coil unless I had extra bucks to burn, thats if the car is running good with a newer stock coil, if it's old, then get the best you can..

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Don't pull it out unless you have too!!!
Trust me on this. ;)
...and with distributors too. :D
For the love of god, pull it out.. It will save you tons of money in the long run.. Make sure you lube the lobes while you have it out, smooths everything out, but that's if you have points. No lube required for electronic ignition..:cheers

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
I agree with TMP, mark the location of the vac can and the rotor, pull it out, repair, and drop it back in, make sure it flushes to the manifold, it it doesn't then it's not in the same location as it's not engaging the oil pump shaft...
What are they claiming out of the coil? I put an accel on my 5.0 Mustang thinking I would pick up a .10th or so, didn't do anything. Quality coils, as other ignition parts all add up, but I don't think I would run out to get a hipo coil unless I had extra bucks to burn, thats if the car is running good with a newer stock coil, if it's old, then get the best you can..
If I remember correctly, the Flame Thrower III is rated for 45,000 volts and a stock one is around half that ?

I learned that it's better to pull it out than regret not doing so for 18 years...:(

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just want to add my $0.02 here...

pulling the distributor requires just as much bending and stretching as i performed putting in the pertronix, maybe more. The biggest issue was determining the "best" way of putting it in. knowing what i know now, i could drop in a pertronix ignitor III in about 15 minutes, 20 if my hand cramped, which would be about as painful as pulling the distributor off.

you guys can take this as me saying "i'll put one in your car for a 6 pack" :cheers

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
I just want to add my $0.02 here...

pulling the distributor requires just as much bending and stretching as i performed putting in the pertronix, maybe more. The biggest issue was determining the "best" way of putting it in. knowing what i know now, i could drop in a pertronix ignitor III in about 15 minutes, 20 if my hand cramped, which would be about as painful as pulling the distributor off.

you guys can take this as me saying "i'll put one in your car for a 6 pack" :cheers
I'm looking at getting 3 for all my other cars now so, say for a case you'll put them all in ??
Just let me know what time your planes lands so I can pick you up....:seeya:
Oh yeah, I haven't bought beer in 27 years. What brand do you like ?

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
As far as the coil. For the Pertronix 3 they request you have a coil that's rated at .32ohms or greater. To get the full potential out of the module, I would put in a hotter coil than stock.

As for the dizzy. I saw alot less hassle putting the module in w/o pulling the dizzy than pulling it and trying to get the dizzy back in it's proper location. But that's just me.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts