Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and waiting to get the car in the garage, so Friday night when I got home at 12:30am from work, I decided I needed to just get out there and do something. Ended up removing the hood and pass. fender, and all but one bolt on the driver's side. Was trying to be quiet. :rofl:
Saturday went out and did some more. Got the other fender and both wheelwells off. Removed the back seat. Strange thing was it wasn't even attached AT ALL. Just sort of lying there. Removed the engine compartment wiring harness, only had to cut a couple of wires. Since I am not reusing it, I wasn't too worried. :willy:
Oh, I also got the doors off. Was wanting to either build something or at least use the engine hoist, but decided heck with that and just did it. Not as easy as it used to be, but didn't kill me either.

Sunday I figured I have to get it into the garage now. So I greased the caster bearings on the dollies as much as I could, and surprisingly the car rolled easily. As long as I didn't want to change directions that is. :( So I had to position the casters for each direction change. But the car is in the garage. :party:

So I piddled around a little more. Got the front seat and all seat belts and all carpet out. Only a little surprise waiting. Guess it could have been worse. Not sure if I have a picture here at work of it or not, found a couple of orange colored sheet metal pieces attached to the passenger side floorboard/toe area. Maybe a foot by a foot or less.

Oh, speaking of surprises, I found out that the trunk floor had been fiberglassed on the outer portions. So I will definitely be replacing the trunk floor. Not sure yet if the smaller one piece will be enough, or if I will have to replace the whole thing. Also in the trunk, I was looking at the hinges seeing what to remove since I will be using a fiberglass lid, and happened to touch underneath the panel that sits between the trunk lid and the bottom of the rear window. The visible upper side looked fine, so I was extremely surprised to find serious rust holes on the in the trunk portion of this. :( Guess that is another panel to replace.

And it has begun. :cheers

Russ

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's see if this works.
I have a bunch of pictures on Image Shack, but I think it will be easier to post them from my home computer.
Here is a picture of the passenger side floor with the patch in orange.
Russ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, haven't stopped working on it. Keep removing stuff, keep finding rust thru. :eek:
Got the interior almost completely stripped. Headliner, rear package tray, heater stuff on the inside, and that is about it. Then glass and rear bumper then off comes the body. I hope.

Have found quite a bit of rust in the front floor pans near the toe boards. Even another orange patch on the driver's side.

Oh, can anybody explain why a Lemans would have a Tempest tire load chart on the inside of the glove box door? I think all that is original, but have no way to be sure.

Here's a few more pics.

Russ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OOPS, hadn't realised I haven't done an update here.

Well, got the body completely stripped except for the rear seat belts, which may end up having to stay, having problems getting them off, and the e-brake cable. Got all the mounts removed more or less, let's just say the ones still attached to the frame are not attached to the body anymore. Needing to replace panels makes life easier sometimes.:rofl:

Hoping(expecting) to get the body lifted off this coming weekend. Just need to declutter the garage a big more so I can manuever the engine hoist. Got a tow strap to use with the hoist. Not sure where I am going to put the body though. May have to roll the chassis outside and get a tarp to cover it with for now.

So now let's see if I can attach pictures or not.

The first one is not my car, but is from Hot Rod, Street Rod, and Muscle Car Mega-site -- Hotrodders.com if I remember right. This is how I will be doing the bottom of the body.

Russ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it will be once I get started. Going to be an interesting learning curve for me. Might be awhile though, not sure when I will be able to start buying the replacement panels. Just got a bill for my recent heart tests. Almost $600. So much for my upcoming bonus check. :-(
You would think for that kind of money they could have at least found something wrong.

Russ

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
more progress

Forgot to update here from last weekend.:eek:

Got the body off the frame and on jackstands for now in the garage. Frame is stripped except for the front suspension. Engine, trans, and rear end are sitting on the garage floor. Frame is still stuck outside on the driveway.

I didn't get any pictures of it all neat and organised, was running out of daylight thanks to the clock change and needed to get it all cleaned up.

Wasn't bad doing it by myself. I first used floor jacks to make sure it was completely disconnected from the frame, and then used the engine hoist and a tow strap wrapped around the floor.
2 things to note if you are going to do this.
1. Move the strap as far back as you can.
2. Center the strap on the hoist instead of having it lopsided.
Both of these I didn't do.

I don't think I have any pictures of the body on the hoist here at work, will try to post some from home.

Now to get a bottle of gas for the mig and hopefully some panels.

Russ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Forgot to update here from last weekend.:eek:

Got the body off the frame and on jackstands for now in the garage. Frame is stripped except for the front suspension. Engine, trans, and rear end are sitting on the garage floor. Frame is still stuck outside on the driveway.

I didn't get any pictures of it all neat and organised, was running out of daylight thanks to the clock change and needed to get it all cleaned up.

Wasn't bad doing it by myself. I first used floor jacks to make sure it was completely disconnected from the frame, and then used the engine hoist and a tow strap wrapped around the floor.
2 things to note if you are going to do this.
1. Move the strap as far back as you can.
2. Center the strap on the hoist instead of having it lopsided.
Both of these I didn't do.

I don't think I have any pictures of the body on the hoist here at work, will try to post some from home.

Now to get a bottle of gas for the mig and hopefully some panels.

Russ
Congrats on your progress. Can't wait to see some of that old metal come off and new metal put back on. Look forward to seeing some updates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've seen guys use some wood bolted to the body to help lift the sections.
Keeps everything from flexing.
Nice job though..not easy to get a heavy body off frame.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Thought about the wood, but saw enough people on the net who didn't use it with a Lemans/GTO so I decided it wasn't worth messing with.

An engine hoist really helps if you are doing it alone like I was/am. Something else I learned from reading these forums. :)

Russ

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Josh, I might be hitting you up for some panels.
Just kidding.
:)
Man, you never think about rust out there, and here it is a given. Hard brake lines corrode here. Someone gave me a car that needed brake lines. Being from Phoenix I just automatically thought they meant the rubber lines. Nope, the steel. Sheesh. People drive cars here that out there wouldn't even be worth taking to the desert for target practice.
Oh, that reminds me I need to get the kit Summit Racing has for steel lines. Forgot all about that.
Russ

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmmm, somebody moved this.
I didn't put it here in the restoration section because I am not restoring it. oh, well.
Russ

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, did some stuff over the weekend. Mainly trying not to cry. Cut out most of the trunk floor that I am sure the replacement panel covers. Found more rust and lots and lots more fiberglass. Have yet to do more with it.

The rear of the car where there is like a seam(pinch point?) going across the back from side to side (top of bumper covers this) is totally rusted. This was skillfully covered with bondo up to more than a 1/4 inch thickness.Sigh. About did me in, but I am feeling better about it now.

Getting tired of finding more rust, want to get started fixing rust.

Got pictures on my home computer, will try to remember to update this.

Russ

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Keep plugging away Russ, sometimes it seems like a daunting task when all you end up with at the end of the day is a bigger pile of parts and mores holes in your car, but believe me when your done you will have to pinch yourself when you see whats sitting in your garage.....and its that much more fulfilling knowing you did it all yourself.....:cheers

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like you know exactly what I am feeling.
Hoping to be putting replacement panels and patches on before Christmas, have to see where we are on the budget. My wife became a first time grandmother this summer, so she plans on spending a bit on the baby. Hopefully I get a little.
She keeps asking what I want for Christmas. I keep telling her Summit Racing. :)

Thanks,
Russ

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, got a replacement firewall Saturday. It doesn't have the body mounting area on it, looks like they may have been removed, signs of spot welds are still there. But I don't mind, for $50 I still think I got a great deal. Just a little more work than I had hoped for.
Not sure yet, but looking closely at the old firewall, I think I am just going to cut out the bad sections and replace those with the new. I think it will be better to keep as much orginal metal as possible from a strength perspective since I am not a welder. Tunnel looks good, as does all of the part above the two big holes. So I think I can just do what would be the equivalent of the replacement transition panels that I have seen. Floor up to below the two holes.

Have also seen replacement cowls, both entire piece and just the outer. I think I need the entire piece on both sides, again probably just the lower half, although the driver's side may be easier to just do the whole thing, there is more rust on that side that I have found. So far, at least.

Speaking of welding, depending on how I pick it up I may just glue the car together using a product called "Fusor". The company that makes it makes all sorts of stuff including seam sealers, plastic to metal adhesives, etc. Not the cheapest thing to do, but if I suck at welding it will be lots cheaper than having to re buy replacement parts for the ones I ruin.

I have been building model car kits since I was like 4 or 5 years old. Would be funny to glue a real car together like a kit. :)

Russ

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Never heard of Fusor :confused kind of scary prospect, But if you don't "take" to the welding, then maybe talk to some local body shops or welders, some of those guys would be happy to come out and give you a hand for a nominal fee. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts