Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while since I posted an update on my Lemans. So here's where I'm at so far. The motor is pretty much done. I have the original 350/th350/7H1 heads with a cast iron 4 bbl intake, Qjet, HEI, Summit 2800 cam. The front suspension is rebuilt with all new rubber bushings, shocks and springs. All new brake lines, calipers, wheel cylinders. The 2.78 rear was swapped out for a 3.36 from a 66 Lemans.

I put in a junkyard windshield from a 71 Cutlass. The rest of the body is still as I bought it - lots of rust, lol. And the interior is still pretty much empty. I bought a bench seat from a 70 Lemans and the dash is untouched. Dash pad is dried up and cracked everywhere.

After 2 1/2 years, I've been dying to drive it. So this past weekend I bled the brakes since I couldn't fight the urge anymore. And Monday I took it out for a quick spin. It drove real nice. I didn't get on it, just wanted to get a feel for it. And the brake booster has a bad vacuum leak so the vacuum port is plugged. I never had a car without power brakes, so standing on the pedal to get it to stop was a new experience. But actually driving the car was a huge step forward for a guy who started out with absolutely no experience restoring a classic car. And its motivation to keep working at it.

So here's the video I took on my cell phone. Its pretty crappy and it sounds a little better if you have external speakers. And forgive me for my comment toward the end. I didn't even know I said it til I watched it later that day :)
1st Drive Video by Icefan71 | Photobucket

·
Registered
322 Posts
Awesome to hear icefan! You will cruise forums for answers for so many questions you will have along the way; and you will cuss and bust knuckles as you know wrenching it all together but it all boils down to one thing.. The excitement you are feeling right now when you finally get it out on the pavement and enjoy it. Its the best part about this hobby!
Congrats and nice job bringing life back to an old Poncho!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I am sure many people here know the exact feelings you were going through, such an awesome feeling after waiting so long and working so hard on some thing you built yourself. I waited over 4 years to get my first drive in on my car and every time I start it up to take it out it feels better than the last. Keep at it

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys. I'm having a lot of fun working on it. Its been a very rewarding experience so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts