Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Refresher: I had removed the rotten right cowl to frame mount last year and bought a replacement in OK. I cut the mount off the replacement section of floor today so I can attach it with screws to hold the body on the roto.

Both the mounting bolts were rusted off on the left side but the mount is solid. I had to cut out the rotten toe board to get access to the mount nuts from inside.

I cleaned it up as best I could and sprayed a lot of Eastwoods Rust Converter all over in the mount. Once it dries, I can recage the new nuts and the front will be ready for the roto.
...:cool

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love project threads :)
Lots more to come. The entire floor from those mounts to the tail lights will be replaced.:eek:

·
Registered
944 Posts
I can't even imagine how much work that's going to be. Way back when, in body shop class, I replaced a trunk pan and small section of floor - HATED IT.

Some people got it and some don't. But hey - this 'you work and I watch' is kind of nice :rofl:

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
This is the hardest/worst part of the restoration. I do not have the skills,heart, or courage needed to undertake something of this magnitude. Give me a blown up engine or trans any day of the week!! On the upside, this '67 GTO is on the way back, and it's only UP from here! Nice going Mitch, and the photo's are greatly appreciated. A huge help to the hobby posting thresds like this!
Jeff

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Wow

Looking Good !!

Love the pictures.

Glad to see this come together. Can't wait to get there myself.:cheers

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made a serious leap of faith today and cut out the right door post.....:eek:

Here's what it looks like on the inside....not much left of 5 layers of metal.

I gave up trying to get the outer rocker panel out of the cowl on the replacement piece. That sucker is welded to 3 braces inside the cowl. I would've had to drill ALL the spot welds out and completely dis-assemble it. The rocker is like new, so the new one will butt weld to it under the step plate. Not sure what I will do with the other side. It's in about the same condition and I didn't get a replacement cowl cutoff for it....:(
Here's the replacement mocked up for final fitting/trimming.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually your patch looks like it fits better then I expected it would.
Are the three upper hinge bolt heads torched off?
No, the bolts are there, just a little hard to see with the lighting.
I should have it near perfect in another hour. The 2 punches sticking out of the hinge bolt plates are my reference points for alignment.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More progress; Final fit of the post

After another hour of sand blasting and rust converter treatment, all the weld seams are cleaned of paint and sprayed with copper weld thru primer. I clamped it in place and tacked it pretty well.

Test fit the door to make sure all the hinge bolts went in and the door lined up. It looks good to go....:)

Welding still needs some improvement and there's a lot to grind off but it's an integral part of the body now...:D

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
nice looking job. i like to use the weld thru primer on the backside of panels. places you cant get to after its all welded up. like pinchwelds that are sandwiched together. im sure you know mig welders are sensitive to contaminents. i like welding bare metal when i can, then etching primer when the grinding is done. looks like you are definitely saving one from the boneyard.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Very nice. Feels good to take your time and have the parts fit together just right for welding. It really makes laying down that nice bead even more satisfying when you know the piece you just fitted up is in right and in to stay. Love that feeling!:cheers

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I've spent more time chasing parts and working on the roto than the car lately but I'm still plugging along. The roto had extension arms bolted in place for a Firebird, so I welded nuts over the holes to use pinch bolts and made them adjustable. There weren't any side braces on the main T post either and I wasn't comfortable with that, so I had a set cut and welded them in. Also changed out the tiny 2" casters for the 5" I bought.

My Miller MiG is so easy to use....this is a vertical up weld.

Wednesday, I drove 155 miles rt for a left kick panel cut-off. Here's what I have now.

Replacement I got yesterday.

I made door opening braces too but forgot to get a pic with them installed.

Braces installed.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No turning back now !!

I got the front mounted on the one roto end that is right and lifted the body off the frame with my floor jacks.

Thought I took a pic of it right after rolling it out but apparently it didn't work. Here are all the joints where pieces of another frame(s) were grafted on. Unbelievable, the frame was made from 7 pieces !!!!!

After 15 minutes with the torch, it is reduced to manageable pieces to throw on the scrap pile outside.

I'll re-use the reinforced upper control arms and frame braces but the rest can find a new home.

Wow, I've never had a car sitting without a frame before. What madness compels people to do this stuff ???

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Man, I can't believe the amount of patience you have, Mitch. :eek: It's awesome there's guys like you that can resurrect a goat from the dead. Keep up the great work!!:)

1 - 20 of 198 Posts