Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out what is hype and what is the best performing with the least amount of mess and damage. I know I need one, hopefully I'll never need to use it. What do you use? What is a good choice? What isn't?

·
Registered
704 Posts
get one that works at any angle, even upside down. Just lost (totaled) a car to a fire and used 3 (three) powder ABC 5 lb ones. could not put it out because car was too low to get extinguisher underneath rear by fuel tank and still keep extinguisher vertical (upright) so it would work properly.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
:agree I lost a beautiful 65 Satelite to a nitrous fire years ago. Get the best setup you can.

And some insurance, I only had liability on that one. :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
No extinguisher is going to work upside down. All modern extinguishers use a syphon tube that goes to the bottom of the cylinder. This allows the pressure to push the product out of the valve at the top. If you invert the ext. it will allow all the pressure to escape. Holding it sideways will at least let some of the product out. Best to keep upright.

·
Registered
704 Posts
actually the c02 ones and some halon can be in any direction, particularly if they have a hose. just not the powder ones.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The CO2 exts also have a syphon tube. In the upright position liquid CO2 comes out of the discharge tube and imediatly turns to a gas in the form of a white cloud thha turns to dry ice snow upon discharge. If you invert it you will just get unseen vapor that may put out a little fire. In the inverted position you will get a much longer blast of just vapor. During this inverted discharge the cylinder will get colder and colder untile the cylinder gets ice on it. The pressure will get lower until the bottle gets so cold that some of the contents may turn into dry ice in the cylinder. Liquid CO2 in a cylinder at about room temperature will generate about 800 PSI vapor pressure such as in a cylinder used to dispense beer or carbonate sodas from a dispenser.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts