Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i did the rear brakes this morning and buttoned up a few other things and was able to pull the Tempest out for it's first drive under it's own power in 35 years... :grin: of course the first thing i did was goose it and bark the tires, what a beast....took it for a tour of the sub nice and easy , think i will have to raise the rear end a tad or stiffen it up as i have a slight wheel rub on the drivers side, was planning on drag bags anyways. motor is running smooth and new timing chain has it pegged at zero so i set it at around 8 advanced and it idles and starts great no hesitation, did not re-tune carb as i wanted to drive it...will do fine tuning tomorrow. new dynomax mufflers sound great low tone no drone, nice growl when you tromp it. had to pull fan shroud as i found out my fan clutch has a little wobble in it and the 18" fan is tight in the shroud. after three rides with some time in between the temp got up around 200 and a bit over after shutdown. never really got above 30 MPH though and was more just testing everything out.

45 year old car in front of 145 year old house....what can i say i like fixing old things

the one that says its her car had to have the first ride

·
Registered
855 Posts
You done GREAT getting it done in 10 months with all the work you done yourself has got to be close to a record!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy..

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Love it! Congrats! Must feel great. Mines been with the body man untouched for the last 10 months.. I did get a tri power intake at the Hot Rod reunion for $70!! So, I have fresh motivation to get the 66 back and get on it myself. I didn't buy a older 421 tri power intake for $80, probably not my best move, but those things are heavy, lol..
Again, have fun with it and don't let the po po get you..

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Looks great, nice job! I know that's a good feeling, getting it out for the first time. Luckily, it just gets better. :party:

Your a lucky man to have a supportive lady too. Mine likes the old cars, and she even bought my GTO for me in 1993 after we got married. Of course it was'nt quite the same car then.

BTW, what's the aluminum tube in front under the rad? Accusump?

Once again, nice looking ride. :cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Great job!! Man I bet the smile on your face doesn't go away for days...

I've started wet-sanding mine. I forgot to include one critical item in an order that came in yesterday, and of course it's not "readily available" anywhere except at a paint & body supply which aren't open open on Sunday's, so I'm shut down on sanding until at least Monday evening. I did do a couple of other jobs though...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, jumped in my F-i50 to go grab a few hose clamps after the ride and my 5 liter felt like such a slug....lol, i think i am spoiled now all you have to do to turn the tires with the 463 is breath on it, and thats with a 2:56 rear end...this is gonna be fun!!
Alky thats a inline trans cooler, thought the bumper would cover it , i am gonna re-mount after i get the fan shroud to fit correctly so it's not so prominent. heres the motor running the Dynomax mufflers
Jet, I would say get on that car, but you have a nice stable to choose from already, and i know you don't want to rush it, if i was closer i would give you a hand.
What did you forget Bear? sandpaper...:), "forest from the trees", always the little things that throw the biggest wrenches in the works.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
found the source of the offensive intermittent screeching, my brand new flex plate is not true and scuffs the starter hub like a flint every rotation, can i shim it at the torque converter with a washer as the starter has no front/back adjustment?

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Can you "tweak" the flexplate a little while it's in the car?

Or maybe a little grinding on the offending area.

Waiting for the burnout vid lol. :party:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
need a helper to turn the crank while i check clearances all the way around, loosened and pulled starter back and its down to just a tick now, starter is retracting fully and the tooth gap is set correctly so shimming starter won't help. corrected shroud problem by cutting fan blades down 1/4" 72' fan vs. 66' shroud, fits nice and snug now 1/2 in and 1/2 out of shroud.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Look for the shiny spot on the starter and "clearance" it with a grinder. It shouldn't be hitting the bendix if the starter is retracting fully. Mine wasn't retracting as the spring in the solenoid had broke. If you can pull the solenoid out easily, then the spring may be broke.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
What a classy looking ride. Excellent job! My vote would be to replace the flex plate (you don't want to hear that!) or next best, grind down the offending high spot. No tweaking and no washers.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks Jet, took a stone and ground back the tips and clears nicely and no more squeal, did'nt even have top take it out.

Fan with shroud is cooling nicely now also.

Next Bug: TH350 will not upshift from first does the modulator screw adjust the shift point?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
thanks Jet, took a stone and ground back the tips and clears nicely and no more squeal, did'nt even have top take it out.

Next Bug: TH350 will not upshift from first does the modulator screw adjust the shift point?
Good job! Glad to help.
Tranny should shift fine without modulator adustment, unless you already adjusted it. Make sure it's hooked to full vacuum and no leaks. Mine hooks to the port behind the carb. May be a defective modulator, they're cheap, replace and see. It will dump tons of fluid, so have a pan ready. I've moved mine and disconnected it, because it only has short vac lines on a hard line, check that it's connected good first.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
trans is new, i did have it to ported vacuum, will try maniflod vacuum tomorrow, bought it last year, shop said to bring it up when i get it running and they will set the shift point and kickdown cable for me...again thanks for the help. hoping to have it roadworthy for big cruise next weekend....:party:

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
What did you forget Bear? sandpaper...:), "forest from the trees", always the little things that throw the biggest wrenches in the works.

QUOTE]

Love the sound!!! Man that thing sounds beefy :cheers

No, got plenty of sanding pads, couple of interface pads, Dynabrade 3/32" orbit sander --- what I forgot was the hook and loop backing pad for the sander. I know I looked up the part number, just forgot to actually order it. That's what happens when I don't double check an order... oh well.

So today I installed the rest of the pedals, steering column, then started laying in the new wiring harnesses and figuring out what's going to be needed in the way of dash trim, bezels, etc. Also changed the oil in both the other cars and replaced the starter in the truck. It was a minor pain getting out and in -- you'd think that on a full size truck there'd be plenty of room to work but nooooo....

This evening I got to go out to dinner and a movie with my bride and two sons. 'Twas great.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL Bear that was gonna be my next guess....but man do they make reloading easy. Motor is purring nicely now, thought my fan clutch was going ( the little noise in the video) but my pulley bolts had started to work loose so i put some red locktite on and torqued them back down, must have forgot to torque when i did the waterpump. once i get the trans figured out time for some WOT tests....brakes are stopping on a dime now with a good bleed and finally got that retched squeal to stop with Jets help and a grinding stone, thought i had toasted a bearing there for a minute when it became continuous yesterday after the third drive...whew. modified the 19" fan to fit in the 18" shroud nice and tight and i can see the temp drop on the gauge as soon as it gets to 20MPH.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's awesome news Bill....Where are you gonna be at next Saturday...I would love to see this beast in person....:party:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts