Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been wanting to take my old goat to the track ever since I got it. My brother always said my Altima would have beat his goat. Well, it's mine now, so I got the chance to see.

I only got to run once due to lots of track drama, but it was fun. I spent alot of time talking with the guy in front of me in the staging lanes who had an 04 silver GTO. Since we had nothing but time to kill, we managed to arrange it so that we could run against each other. We both thought it would be cool. I told him to not embarass me too much. Well, I got lucky.

He had run a 9.3 (1/8 mile) right before I got there. I was hoping to be able to run low 9's, so I figured it'd be a fairly even race.

Well, apparently, at the line, I think he got a little overexcited about running against an old school GTO, and he gave it waaay too much gas off the line. In the video you can see the smoke as a result. Me ... I boosted my rpms to about 1500, and then floored it when the light turned green. I was on drag radials, but at street pressure. I had to let off at the top of second, as I STILL haven't rejetted my carb, and I was leaning out ... as a result, I ended up with a very unremarkable 9.63 with a 2.1 60'.

The 04 kid (I say kid - he was probably 27 or so, but I'm nearing 50) was pretty cool. I'll need to get back there and give him a rematch (and a chance to redeem himself) after I rejet my carb.

here's the link to the video: YouTube - 70 GTO vs 04 GTO

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
So, I've been wanting to take my old goat to the track ever since I got it. My brother always said my Altima would have beat his goat. Well, it's mine now, so I got the chance to see.

I only got to run once due to lots of track drama, but it was fun. I spent alot of time talking with the guy in front of me in the staging lanes who had an 04 silver GTO. Since we had nothing but time to kill, we managed to arrange it so that we could run against each other. We both thought it would be cool. I told him to not embarass me too much. Well, I got lucky.

He had run a 9.3 (1/8 mile) right before I got there. I was hoping to be able to run low 9's, so I figured it'd be a fairly even race.

Well, apparently, at the line, I think he got a little overexcited about running against an old school GTO, and he gave it waaay too much gas off the line. In the video you can see the smoke as a result. Me ... I boosted my rpms to about 1500, and then floored it when the light turned green. I was on drag radials, but at street pressure. I had to let off at the top of second, as I STILL haven't rejetted my carb, and I was leaning out ... as a result, I ended up with a very unremarkable 9.63 with a 2.1 60'.

The 04 kid (I say kid - he was probably 27 or so, but I'm nearing 50) was pretty cool. I'll need to get back there and give him a rematch (and a chance to redeem himself) after I rejet my carb.

here's the link to the video: YouTube - 70 GTO vs 04 GTO
Way to go, BobG. What type of engine, cam, etc. are you running in your "old school" goat? In the video, you totally blow the '04's doors off. Also, is "Mayberry" a real town? Regards, Paul.

·
Registered
465 Posts
haha, yah that guy either needs to learn how to pick tires, or has NO idea how to launch a car. LOL I love to see the old goats beat up on the new ones. Wish i wasn't so scared for my baby every time i race her. Maybe i should do a 455 swap, and save the car's original 389, hmmm......

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys. It's basically the stock 400. I've got a Holley 650 Spreadbore on it that I need to rejet. And it's got an aftermarket aircleaner on it. (the stock dual snorkel is in the garage, as is the Qjet.) I've got the stock 3 speed TH400.

Yes, based on that run, I did literally blow his doors off, as he ran a 12 something. Had he been able to launch, he would have taken me.

Mayberry is my nickname for where I live. It's actaully Shelbyville, KY, a town of about 6,000 about 1/2 hr from Louisville.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Thanks guys. It's basically the stock 400. I've got a Holley 650 Spreadbore on it that I need to rejet. And it's got an aftermarket aircleaner on it. (the stock dual snorkel is in the garage, as is the Qjet.) I've got the stock 3 speed TH400.

Yes, based on that run, I did literally blow his doors off, as he ran a 12 something. Had he been able to launch, he would have taken me.

Mayberry is my nickname for where I live. It's actaully Shelbyville, KY, a town of about 6,000 about 1/2 hr from Louisville.
I'm with Tri Power, my Goat runs well and I get a little nervous when I push her hard. I'm having a retirement house built in Fort Mill, SC this year, with plans to retire within three years, so I'll be moving to "another Mayberry" shortly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts