Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had to trek all around the metro Phoenix area this week for work, so I've racked up my first few highway miles. Some observations:

1. Boy, did my gas mileage go up! Cracked 20 MPG today for the first time.

2. The hood sure seems to flutter at speed. Driving along at 70 or so, I kept an eye on the driver's side hood/fender cutline. A little wigglin' going on. I wonder if the hood scoops contribute to that, possibly building up under-hood air pressure?

3. For the first time, I was in and out of sixth gear a lot. Anybody but me encounter a popping sound when engaging sixth? I think it's a couple of things. First, the shifter boot gets really taut when you drop into sixth. You could bounce a quarter off it. I think it makes a "whop" sound as it snaps tight. Second, there's something under that boot that makes a sound, too--almost like the sound you get when you put a crinkle in one of those thin, polystyrene drink cups. Maybe there's some insulation under there? Maybe a cable? Maybe . . . I have no idea. Anybody have a theory? If I shift s-l-o-w-l-y from fifth to sixth I don't hear anything, but a normal shift elicits these little sounds.

4. Boy, is the GTO stable! As I was passing some goober on the left, he didn't realize I was coming up on him and he drifted into my lane. I snapped the GTO over one more lane and she came right back on course. Nice!

5. These posts about thin paint are scaring me! My car's filthy right now, so I'll be washing it this weekend. With all these highway miles under my belt now, I'm scared of what I'll find. At least I've tracked down a tube of Impulse Blue touch-up paint.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I haven't noticed the hood on my 04 flutter or dance so it might be an aero-thing from the scoops.

My 04 is plenty stable at high speeds but the stock brakes do suck. I want to get C5 Corvette pads for it, I've been told these fit - I found the stock part number for fronts - 88909667. Does anyone know if rears from the same vintage Vette fit our 04s?

·
Registered
410 Posts
if your hood is fluttering, adjust the hood bumber near the front corner of the hood up a half a turn at a time and see if it helps stop the flutter.

The C5 brake pads help but the GTOs are notorious from having air in the brake lines from the factory. Drop the C5 pads in as soon as you can so you don't have to turn the rotors (they have a larger sweep area - I did mine at 700 miles with no problem) and bring a bottle of Valvoline Synthetic Brake fluid home and flush and bleed the brakes. You may even have to do bleed twice to get all the air out. The C5 front pads drop straight in - the GTO uses the identical backing plate. The rear pads are not interchangable and have not been an issue. Do a search for details.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also had my front pads swapped out with the C5 pads. Since I was around 3k, I had my rotors turned. From what I understand the rear pads on the C5 and GTO are identical in surface area if not better on the GTO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.