Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded in my 2003 Cobra for a 2005 GTO A4 today, and I have a few first impressions to report.

First, I was amazed at how much smoother and quieter the Goat is than the Cobra. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it sure is nice to be able to drive down the highway without having to have the radio at full blast just to be able to hear it.

Second, although a lot of folks on the GTO boards have raved about the seats, I did not find them to be markedly better than those in the Cobra.

Third, the build quality is SO much greater in the GTO. The panel gaps look great (you mean I'm not supposed to be able to stick my finger inside the dash?), and the whole thing feels much more tightly screwed together.

Fourth, and this may seem trivial, but the padding on the drivers side door, where my elbow rests, is outstanding. The Cobra's door was hard plastic, and after a long drive, my elbow would hurt.

Fifth, it's real fast, but everyone knew that already, right?

In sum, I am not going to bag on the Mustang/Cobra. It was a great car, despite the quality control issues, and I enjoyed it. I still have a 2000 Mustang GT that somehow avoided the QC problems that plagued the Cobra, and which has been solid as a rock. The main reason that I picked up the Goat was because of the availability of an automatic transmission; the rest is just gravy. Thus, count me among the few folks who love both the Mustang and GTO, and will never rip on either.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
75coug said:
I traded in my 2003 Cobra for a 2005 GTO A4 today, and I have a few first impressions to report.

First, I was amazed at how much smoother and quieter the Goat is than the Cobra. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it sure is nice to be able to drive down the highway without having to have the radio at full blast just to be able to hear it.

Second, although a lot of folks on the GTO boards have raved about the seats, I did not find them to be markedly better than those in the Cobra.

Third, the build quality is SO much greater in the GTO. The panel gaps look great (you mean I'm not supposed to be able to stick my finger inside the dash?), and the whole thing feels much more tightly screwed together.

Fourth, and this may seem trivial, but the padding on the drivers side door, where my elbow rests, is outstanding. The Cobra's door was hard plastic, and after a long drive, my elbow would hurt.

Fifth, it's real fast, but everyone knew that already, right?

In sum, I am not going to bag on the Mustang/Cobra. It was a great car, despite the quality control issues, and I enjoyed it. I still have a 2000 Mustang GT that somehow avoided the QC problems that plagued the Cobra, and which has been solid as a rock. The main reason that I picked up the Goat was because of the availability of an automatic transmission; the rest is just gravy. Thus, count me among the few folks who love both the Mustang and GTO, and will never rip on either.
I went from an 02 C5 Z06 to the GTO for about the same reasons. I can't believe how much more refined and how much quieter the Goat is. If I had driven the 2 back to back with no idea which one was 55k versus 33k I would have really screwed up.
I was acyually looking at the padding on the door armrest today also. It's really something that they spent the dollars to make that work.
I'm not a big fan of the base 4.6 2v, But really like what Ford did with the Mach 1 and the awesome Cobra. So I'll give a 2/3's on that.
Welcome to the Club.

·
Registered
109 Posts
75coug said:

I think the seats will really show their quality once you go on a 300 mile road trip. I've been in a lot of different cars for long trips and this was the first one that didn't leave me tired and sore. Where the Cobra seats in the '03 different than in the earlier non-superchared models or Mach 1?

·
Registered
50 Posts
muohio said:
I think the seats will really show their quality once you go on a 300 mile road trip. I've been in a lot of different cars for long trips and this was the first one that didn't leave me tired and sore. Where the Cobra seats in the '03 different than in the earlier non-superchared models or Mach 1?
I cannot vouch for the seats in the earlier Snakes but the Mach-1 seats were the best Mustang seats I ever sat in and I big reason I bought the car (That and the Shaker hood)... The 03/04 Cobra seats were too tight in the bolsters for my big American ass.. The Mach 1 seats are unique too the car and are not over bolstered. The standard Mustang seats are junk. In turn the GTO seats are the best car seats I have EVER sat in... I would like to have a recliner in the house as comfortable as these seats.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I love the seats as well... The only problem I have is when I have to carry the beeper (sometimes I have to take call where I work). When getting into the car, the damn thing jabs me in the side... **OUCH**

:party:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.