Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first real race in my goat today.. and it was awesome to finally see how she did even only with CAI, exhaust and short throw. I don't know what year it was,(newer) but a srt8 pulled up next to me rockin' the grey with black stripes. He had some dirty exhaust on it and from the second he saw me he became interested. We left the stop light and he bit and did a pull to around 55. It was a total tank. Rolled my window down and asked if "that thang got a hemi?!" and we agreed on a 20 roll. I did a pull into 3rd gear and he didn't stand a chance! Felt good to smoke a car that costs 3 times as much as mine.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Those Challengers are tanks. They really are. My ex girlfriends brother had the SRT8. We raced multiple times and I took him every one of them. Like you stated, he paid around 60k for his car, let's just say he was pretty pissed haha

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought they had a lot of horsepower, but i don't know crap about dodge

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
He has the 09 SRT8 which is rated at about 425 hp at crank. His car weighed around 4300 lbs with him in it, with mine weighing in at around 3900. Thats an extra 400 lbs. That definitely becomes a major issue

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
What Challenger costs $60K? The MSRP on a 2011 392 SRT8 (470hp) is just under $44K. I think someone has bein bs-ing you.......

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It was all custom. He had the paint job custom, the navigation system, the high end sound package, custom lowered suspension, custom rims, etc. It was not all from the dealer. When everything was said and done, it totaled to around $60k, I was there when they signed the papers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a darn nice car, and I know they weight alot, but I really thought it would perform better than that.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I was all fired up when I saw the concept Challenger at the auto show. I also scored two shirts for being the only one to answer some old school Challenger questions.

I was dead set on getting the car to match my shirts lol, but then the news was released regarding it being built on the Charger platform. Right then I knew it was over.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I was all fired up when I saw the concept Challenger at the auto show. I also scored two shirts for being the only one to answer some old school Challenger questions.

I was dead set on getting the car to match my shirts lol, but then the news was released regarding it being built on the Charger platform. Right then I knew it was over.

What??? You should be happy its built off of the old Mercedies E-class platform with some of Merc's electronics. That spells quality:D. I think its a shorten in the middle by a few inches Charger platform, just like the Camaro is a modified G8 platform.

The Challenger is still the best looking of the retro muscle cars.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
The Challenger is still the best looking of the retro muscle cars.
Hands down...... :cheers There's an orange w/black stripes one 1/2 mile away at a cabin. Must be seasonal people. You see it coming down the road and there is no doubt what it is....

·
Registered
42 Posts
If he paid 60k then he got Robbed in a BAAAAAD way. You should be able to get one SRT8 out the door for 40ish. 05 and 06 GTO's run 20k At least in my area seattle. The Chally is heavy. I loved my SE when I had it. with the right driver he should be with you or just a VERY VERY small amount behind. It would be good to see from a standstill. Good kill though.

You can't make a 60k challenger on the dodge website with every extra and an 5k in aftermarket rims...They must of really got you on the dealer mark up.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
^^^You obviously didn't read what was stated above. The car was not all from the dealer. It was customized by a custom shop. Of course their not going to go up that high in price right off the lot, but this Challenger was not one bought right off the lot.

Again, I would never pay that amount for this car, but it is one bad ass ride. I can't deny that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't really understand what that means that it was bought from a custom shop. What work was done on it? You also said it was an R/T those sell for 32 base. I don't see 30k in work done to the car, please enlighten me.

My comment was mainly made because you said that the challenger is 3x's the price of the GTO, maybe I misread it and you said that, that one Challenger was 3x's the price of a GTO.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Considering the price our cars are going for right now, yes it is very possible that the Challenger is 3x the price as the GTO. I bought my car used for about $14k with 30k miles on it. A brand new Challenger definitely is capable of costing 3x that price.

You would have to talk to him exactly on what was done to it in specification, but it definitely has over $25k in mods done to it. The rims and tires alone cost him suede like the GTO. It's got 2 12" subs in the back with all new speakers and head unit. HID's on both fogs and headlights. Headers, CAI, Cam and Heads Package, Full Exhaust. The list goes on. You could argue it all you want, but I was there when the papers were signed lol

To make a long story short, the car was purchased off the lot as a base R/T, and was customized by a shop who worked with his father.

·
Registered
42 Posts
lol, I am not upset it just sounds extreme to me. For 25k you should be able to get a Vortech Supercharger 10k installed and tuned, heads and cam (2k) Rims, dropped, sway and suspension for 8k. HED LED's (that change color) 400 installed, CAI and 80mm throttle body for 1000. and were at 21400.

Is it true that they charged him 60, I am sure it is, why would you lie?

But I am saying for 25k in mods he could be in the 10's or 11's. The car is rated at 375 hp and 400tq stock for 25k if he isn't in the 11 range he got jipped especially if he can't out run our lovely cars for that much. Why would his fathers friend do that to him...suspect

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Challengers were EXPENSIVE when they first came out back in 08. I remember pulling into a dodge stealership back then to check out the new 600 hp 8.4L viper. They wanted 50K for the Challenger back in 08. They have a white one with blue racing stripes there now (392, 6.4L). Window sticker says $55,000. Under options list it says "market adjust" with a hike in price under it, like you would see for a gas guzzler tax or something. As long as people are going to pay Corvette money for those things, dodge will keep charging those prices. That's why the make the Uuber pig RT 5.7L 375hp sled with the stripes. It looks like the SRT8, and is priced more for the masses.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you pay 55k for a 40k car you are being ripped off in a BAAAAAD way. Of course the dealer wants to charge you that much, and 100k dodge warrenty will be another 30k if you will pay it. go to the web site and buy one

·
Registered
377 Posts
Had my first real race in my goat today.. and it was awesome to finally see how she did even only with CAI, exhaust and short throw. I don't know what year it was,(newer) but a srt8 pulled up next to me rockin' the grey with black stripes. He had some dirty exhaust on it and from the second he saw me he became interested. We left the stop light and he bit and did a pull to around 55. It was a total tank. Rolled my window down and asked if "that thang got a hemi?!" and we agreed on a 20 roll. I did a pull into 3rd gear and he didn't stand a chance! Felt good to smoke a car that costs 3 times as much as mine.
Nice kill, sounds like a manual with a bad driver if it was that bad. They are slower than the autos anyway.

BTW, ricer math on the "3 times as much as mine" statement.

Those Challengers are tanks. They really are. My ex girlfriends brother had the SRT8. We raced multiple times and I took him every one of them. Like you stated, he paid around 60k for his car, let's just say he was pretty pissed haha
Manual or auto? He overpaid for his car regardless.

Challengers were EXPENSIVE when they first came out back in 08. I remember pulling into a dodge stealership back then to check out the new 600 hp 8.4L viper. They wanted 50K for the Challenger back in 08. They have a white one with blue racing stripes there now (392, 6.4L). Window sticker says $55,000. Under options list it says "market adjust" with a hike in price under it, like you would see for a gas guzzler tax or something. As long as people are going to pay Corvette money for those things, dodge will keep charging those prices. That's why the make the Uuber pig RT 5.7L 375hp sled with the stripes. It looks like the SRT8, and is priced more for the masses.
That "market adjust" is a dealer printed addendum to the actual Mulroney sticker, btw.

The 392 is a nice car, autos will run mid-12s with a 1.9x 60 60ft.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts