Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, only the second night of owning, and finally got passed 500 miles at about two in the morning.

I pull up to a toll both at the same time as the guy next to me does, I look over and it is a STI. I know these things are like a bat outta he!! outta the hole, My gate opens first, I see him looking at me, I wait for his to open and we go. Just like I expected he blew me outta the hole. Got about three to four lengths on me, then at about 75 the tide started to turn, by 95 we were even, both took it up to about 130 and I had a good 10-15 car lengths on him. Slowed down to the speed limit and let him catch up, he gave me a thumbs up, as I did to him as well, we rode together for about 20 miles, he got behind me gave a flash of the lights and exited the highway.

This was a blast, this is what having a car like this is all about the guy was friendly as was I. If you respond to this please do not call the STI a "ricer" or a boy race car. The car has balls (just not as big as my new Goat). I couldnt have beaten this guy in my 05 Mustang GT that I just got rid of, I was convinced that the Mustang was about ready to fall apart at about 110, had it up there once and it was scary.

Fun race and nice kill if I do say so my-self. Anyone on here had an STI? Is it normal for them to stop pulling hard around 100? It seemed like around 95 Is where the goat really started going.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have never driven either car, (waiting until later this year to look for an 05 GTO) but the 1/4 mile times and mph tell it all. The STi comes in at 100 mph while an 05 GTO comes in at 107+. It goes to show the STi relies on gearing and AWD while the GTO relies on good old American (AUstralian?) muscle.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This BS still continues. YOU BEAT A 4 CYL CAR!!!!!! A G0D Dmm 2.5 liter. You get no props here. Toast a car with a V8 then talk.

In addition he beat you to 95 but you called the thread First Kill STI :rolleyes: ?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
blue05 said:
Last night, only the second night of owning, and finally got passed 500 miles at about two in the morning.

I pull up to a toll both at the same time as the guy next to me does, I look over and it is a STI. I know these things are like a bat outta he!! outta the hole, My gate opens first, I see him looking at me, I wait for his to open and we go. Just like I expected he blew me outta the hole. Got about three to four lengths on me, then at about 75 the tide started to turn, by 95 we were even, both took it up to about 130 and I had a good 10-15 car lengths on him. Slowed down to the speed limit and let him catch up, he gave me a thumbs up, as I did to him as well, we rode together for about 20 miles, he got behind me gave a flash of the lights and exited the highway.

This was a blast, this is what having a car like this is all about the guy was friendly as was I. If you respond to this please do not call the STI a "ricer" or a boy race car. The car has balls (just not as big as my new Goat). I couldnt have beaten this guy in my 05 Mustang GT that I just got rid of, I was convinced that the Mustang was about ready to fall apart at about 110, had it up there once and it was scary.

Fun race and nice kill if I do say so my-self. Anyone on here had an STI? Is it normal for them to stop pulling hard around 100? It seemed like around 95 Is where the goat really started going.
The STI didn't stop pulling, the massive hp that you have comes into play at about 80 and at that point weight is less of an issue. Advantage GTO.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
II-Savy said:
This BS still continues. YOU BEAT A 4 CYL CAR!!!!!! A G0D Dmm 2.5 liter. You get no props here. Toast a car with a V8 then talk.

In addition he beat you to 95 but you called the thread First Kill STI :rolleyes: ?
An extremely fast four. With a large turbo, and 300hp, and less weight and much better traction. This wasn't a good kill, it's a great kill. Especially in an open hwy area where it's safer, and you both enjoyed it and were friendly about it. This is what it's all about.
Now go find the sucker that bought your old Mustang and suck the headlights outta that Ford when you blow him away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would have to agree with the last post. When its all wheel drive it makes a big difference. I am ashamed to say I lost to an all wheel drive v6. When we left off the line, my back end was all over the place (traction control was off) and the all wheel drive just went in a straight line. I am pretty sure I could have gotten him, but after slipping and sliding (on a busy 6 lane road), I was not in the mood to try. Again a good "kill".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good kill... And in the spirit of the US Aussie Hybrid I raise a Fosters :cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
II-Savy said:

In addition he beat you to 95 but you called the thread First Kill STI :rolleyes: ?[/QUOTE
take your butt whipping like a man if he lines it up he gets smoked, 1cyl 10cyl it doesn't matter the sti is turbo charged 300hp........U GET MUCH PROPS GOOOOOOD KILL :party:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
II-Savy said:

I beat my boyfriend driving my old 05 Mustang GT. Last I checked I would consider that a good kill as well. Did that one tonight, the guy who wanted to buy the car backed out, and now I am stuck with this piece of crap for a little while longer. Last I checked savy this was a V8, can we talk now.

I know that the STI is only a four banger, but it is turboed to around 300hp and it is all wheel drive, this thing would rip a Ferrari outta the hole. I am not ashamed. I guess that this is the difference between you and I, I am a true car enthuasist, while you are only able to appriciate a car with a big engine. I love all cars, and when you can take a small engine and put out that much horsepower I should say that I am impressed. Again I guess that I just like cars. I am new to this board, and so far I think that I like everyone but you.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Well, I guess beating Formula One race cars wouldn't count either as they're only cheesy four bangers, too.

I smoked a kid in his Mom's 4-door Toyota Corolla tonight. Stock wheels (complete with hubcaps), TRD sticker, coffee can exhaust, and a rear wing that would make a SuperBird blush.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Great kill!!! STis are darn quick.

Besides all the other factors already mentioned, by 80mph the aerodynamics start to really come into play, so the HP advantage + good aerodynamics become crucial. The Goat's Coefficent of Drag, if I recall corectly, is around 0.31, which is a very respectable #, and better than the Subaru's (and its frontal area isn't too bad either, although probably a bit larger than the STi's). At those speeds the biggest factor is that the force due to aerodynamic drag increases as a function of the square of the speed. STi's gearing advantage (a big one) becomes less of a factor, while its higher driveline friction starts to become a real parasite. So, scientifically at least, it all makes sense . . . Congrats on being a good enough driver to prove Isaac Newton and Co. correct once again. :cheers

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
II-Savy said:

You make it sound like 4 cylinder cars aren't fast. We all know that the Evo and STi are quick as hell off the line. But like blue05 said, if you were a real car enthusiast, you would appreciate, as well as respect, the performance of other cars out there. By blue05 knowing what the STi was capable of doing, she had a slight advantage. Maybe that's why she didn't give up after witnessing the known launch advantage of the STi. If the STi driver knew as much about the GTO as blue05 knew about the STi, he probably would have ended the race shortly after he pulled away at the start. But he didn't. He kept going, the strength of the GTO came into play and he lost. End of story. A kill is a kill. If a school bus rev me up at the light, I'd race it (just kidding).

Look man, stop sipping on that Hater-Aid and give props where props are due.

If you want to challenge a "just a 4 cylinder car", I know someone with a SRT-4 that ran 11.1 at California Speedway. He only dynoed at 600 hp to the wheels. But don't worry. It's only a 4 cylinder. If you continue to underestimate these 4 bangers you're gonna eventually get your feelings hurt.

Great kill bluegto :cheers

·
Registered
156 Posts
Everyone is missing the point. I will maybe one day own an STI or a GTO. I love them both. Point is the STI is MAYBE 250 to the wheels. Maybe. It's just not a good compair.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
II-Savy said:
Everyone is missing the point. I will maybe one day own an STI or a GTO. I love them both. Point is the STI is MAYBE 250 to the wheels. Maybe. It's just not a good compair.

I was not comparing, I was saying that I raced one and beat it, and I was happy about beating it because I know that the car is fast and I raced a few of them in my 05 Mustang GT and lost every single time to it, I would not mind putting an STI in my garage at all to help me get around in these cold snowy winters in Chicago.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pwraddict said:
Speaking of the snowy winters in Chicago, how was your GTO in the weather?

Just got it three days ago, so I dont really know yet, and I dont think I will be finding out. It will go into storage Nov1st, and come out Mar 15th

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
II-Savy said:

Hey Not-II-Savvy, so a Lotus Elise can't possibly be a real car? After all, it's powered by a Toyota 1.8L 4 banger that pumps out only 190HP @ 7800 RPM to the rear wheels. And the torque is only 138Ft/Lbs @ 6800 RPM. And it weighs less than 2,000 Lbs Sir Isaac!!!!!

There are many many ways to make a car go fast and you apparently have been able to comprehend only one.

The STI and Evo are great accomplishments. Not my cup of tea, too small, noisy, poor ride quality, and a little too boy/girl racer for me. But they are fast, well engineered, and well built for what they are. Who cares how they get that performance, Turbo's...All Wheel Drive. Someone had a different idea about how to make a car go fast.

Almost any decent all wheel drive car will pull any 2 wheel drive car for the first few feet. If there is sand, water, leaves, ice, snow, it only gets worse for us 2 wheelers. So those little cars have a very valid formula for speed.

Just ignore Sir Isaac blue05.

PS
Sorry about the screen name. You just hung that big grapefruit out there and I had to take a swing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice, I used to own an 04 STi. I beat every car I lined up against on the street. If launched and well driven they are rediculously fast 0-80mph or so. It was nice that the STi continued to race up to XXX mph. Most STi owners would have given up the race at about 80mph and called it a win.

It's nice to see how that top end power of the 05 GTO left the STi waayyy back at higher speeds.

·
Registered
156 Posts
BLACK05GTO said:
Nice, I used to own an 04 STi. I beat every car I lined up against on the street. If launched and well driven they are rediculously fast 0-80mph or so. It was nice that the STi continued to race up to XXX mph. Most STi owners would have given up the race at about 80mph and called it a win.

It's nice to see how that top end power of the 05 GTO left the STi waayyy back at higher speeds.
It's all good.
I like the elise.

I think the top end power which left the STI behind was primarely attibuted to the fact that the GTO has the larger V-8 engine with more tq, more cyl more...everything. This is my only point. The GTO SHOULD have won because of this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts