Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daughters wedding was this weekend and was looking at a 4 hr round trip. Original weather was spotty so i had planned on trailering it down for convenience sake. The more i though about hauling it and as the forecast improved, i made the decision to drive down. My younger daughter ran chase in the truck as we had just a few things to takes down...:willy:.
Took the surface roads on the way down and was amazed at the mileage if not the speed we got, used less than half tank to do the 95 miles with a passenger. Returned today and gassed up 10 miles out and hit the freeway, loped along at 70 at 2100 RPM thanks to the 2:56 salt flats rear gear and the 70-100 kick would still throw your head back. Had several people pull up next to me and want to talk while doing 70...:lol:. Car performed flawlessly, oil pegged at 60, heat never topped 180 in 80 degree sunny weather...:party:
Wedding was also flawless, the bride was stunning and and the groom although never having driven it hopped in and as soon as i showed him the trick to getting the quicksilver shifter in gear, rolled out from the receiving line and stabbed it down the street. A quick trip around the small town to bring the 12 pack of empties dragging off the license plate frame back battered and bruised, all in all it was a weekend to remember, pics to come as soon as we get them back from the photographers....:cheers

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
X2! Congratulations on a successful event, all the way around. I tell ya, the more you actually drive, the more you appreciate 'salt flat' gears!! It's a good feeling to be 'in the zone' and ready to take off when most cars are beginning to run out of breath.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Congrats on a successful trip. :cheers

That's something that went right on my car too - on the way home running down I-20 at 70 mph/3200 rpm (3.50 gears) with the A/C on and 97 degrees outside, the Beast stayed below 180 the whole time.

Bear

1 - 4 of 4 Posts