Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on HWY 270 East near Edwardsville IL when a guy in a 2000 ish WS6 pulled up next to me at about 65. We did three runs from 65 to about 115 and I got nosed out every time, less that a quarter of a length. I could tell he had exhaust, and had the pillar gauges. anyone have any expierence with a stock WS6 that could give me a base line of what this guy may have had?
I drive an 05 6 MT completely stock at the time.
Thanks

·
Registered
730 Posts
what's wrong with you boys and the ws6's? i drove a 02 ws6 and it didn't feel all that impressive compared to my goat. just remember these car are around and mods for them are easy and cheap. they have a solid axle we don't. good luck next time. get some mods and be prepared. win some lose some :cheers

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Koman's right. Mods come alot easier and cheaper (and there are more available) for the F-bodies.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was on HWY 270 East near Edwardsville IL when a guy in a 2000 ish WS6 pulled up next to me at about 65. We did three runs from 65 to about 115 and I got nosed out every time, less that a quarter of a length. I could tell he had exhaust, and had the pillar gauges. anyone have any expierence with a stock WS6 that could give me a base line of what this guy may have had?
I drive an 05 6 MT completely stock at the time.
Thanks
He probably had a head/cam package. Most LS1 F-bodies get that or a nitrous kit. Every once in awhile you will run across some that are supercharged or twin turboed. Sounds like its time to mod yours. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He probably had a head/cam package. Most LS1 F-bodies get that or a nitrous kit. Every once in awhile you will run across some that are supercharged or twin turboed. Sounds like its time to mod yours. :D
I was thinking he had at least a cam. I have never heard before or since a T/A that sounded like that one. As far as mods go, I have installed the Brute Force CAI, and as soon as the fundage allows, a Corsa Touring Cat back is planned along with a short throw shifter. Any other relatively inexpensive mods that will net some sort of power?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was thinking he had at least a cam. I have never heard before or since a T/A that sounded like that one. As far as mods go, I have installed the Brute Force CAI, and as soon as the fundage allows, a Corsa Touring Cat back is planned along with a short throw shifter. Any other relatively inexpensive mods that will net some sort of power?
Depends on what your term of inexpensive is. :lol: I would also suggest getting headers, cam, and a good tune. That and what you are planning on getting will make some good power. :cheers

·
Registered
289 Posts

If that WS-6 had a head/cam combo, it would've destroyed the Goat. Sorry, just the way it is. He prolly just had a few minor bolt-ons. It's a drivers race stock for stock.......

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
If that WS-6 had a head/cam combo, it would've destroyed the Goat. Sorry, just the way it is. He prolly just had a few minor bolt-ons. It's a drivers race stock for stock.......
I had an 02 and an 01 LS1 Z28. 1 was a stick and the other an auto. It takes a lid and a catback for the LS1 F-body to equal a GTO. That comes from owning both. If you put headers on the F-body it's a winner, but close. Add gears which most do and the GTO is in trouble.

Stock for stock though the LS1 F-body is a few tenths behind.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had an 02 and an 01 LS1 Z28. 1 was a stick and the other an auto. It takes a lid and a catback for the LS1 F-body to equal a GTO. That comes from owning both. If you put headers on the F-body it's a winner, but close. Add gears which most do and the GTO is in trouble.

I didnt get a chance to talk to the guy because he and his girlfriend were too busy laughing at me and they took the next exit off the highway. I guess I was just irritated that I got beat by such a small margin, and that car sounded very mean. Almost pissed off! :D
There is always next time I guess...

·
Registered
289 Posts

In a perfect world, w/ flawless drivers', yes the GTO will be couple tenths quicker. But on the street, where most races take place, (and even on the track) it's a driver's race.......

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
HUH?????

Bone stock my GTO with me driving went 12.895. Most of the time I ran 13.1. My 2002 Z28 that was modded went 13.1 on the same track as my stock GTO. Same driver, same track, similar weather. My lid , cat-back and tune were good for a half second on the Z28. I know that to be fact from all the records I kept and the amount of passes I made in that car. My Z28 put 335 RWHP down and was definately quicker than most F-bodies. Might be the driver, but the facts are it was very strong. So we have the same driver in both cars, and it wasn't a drivers race till the Z28 got modded.

Now if what you're saying is that 2 cars that are within a half second of each other are a drivers race, I'll give you that. I raced a 2005 Corvette last night at the track. I cut a .003 light and he cut a .425 light. I got a 1.98 60' and he got a 2.24 60'. I ran a 12.84 he ran a 12.91. At the end of the day I was over 7 cars and .5 ahead of him because of the driver. So I guess if the Z28 has a driver that cuts .4 better at the light and knows how to launch his Z28 better than the GTO guy it is a drivers race. But the reality is the GTO wins unless it's driver loses due to his skill level.

·
Registered
289 Posts
HUH?????

Bone stock my GTO with me driving went 12.895. Most of the time I ran 13.1. My 2002 Z28 that was modded went 13.1 on the same track as my stock GTO. Same driver, same track, similar weather. My lid , cat-back and tune were good for a half second on the Z28. I know that to be fact from all the records I kept and the amount of passes I made in that car. My Z28 put 335 RWHP down and was definately quicker than most F-bodies. Might be the driver, but the facts are it was very strong. So we have the same driver in both cars, and it wasn't a drivers race till the Z28 got modded.

Now if what you're saying is that 2 cars that are within a half second of each other are a drivers race, I'll give you that. I raced a 2005 Corvette last night at the track. I cut a .003 light and he cut a .425 light. I got a 1.98 60' and he got a 2.24 60'. I ran a 12.84 he ran a 12.91. At the end of the day I was over 7 cars and .5 ahead of him because of the driver. So I guess if the Z28 has a driver that cuts .4 better at the light and knows how to launch his Z28 better than the GTO guy it is a drivers race. But the reality is the GTO wins unless it's driver loses due to his skill level.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Generally speaking, any car that is within up to .5 second quicker or slower than another car can overcome it's disadvantage/advantage with driver skill, etc. W/ just a few bolt-ons, I beat a Ford Lightning twice in a row. Stock Lightnings are low-mid 13 sec trucks. My 350Z was mid 13's at best. The win was a very narrow one mind you, but a win nonetheless.....:D

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Exactly my friend bought a brand new 02 WS6 M6 took it to the track and ran a 13.5. He was not the greatest driver but more practice he could have gotten it down lower than that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts