Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
This was discussed a bit in a different thread, I believe the consesus was:

Synthetic oil comes in this engine when the engine is in a Corvette, so anytime you feel like investing in the change, go for it.

I did my car at about 500 miles, that seemed to be a nice round number that "fables" claim the engine is broken in.

I don't know about your area, but when I brought mine into the Oil Master's place they were falling all over themselves to work on the car. What a treat!

--- Larry

·
Registered
53 Posts
You should be good to do your changes according to the owners manual.

The public has been brain-washed into believing that oil needs to be changed every 3,000 mile by the quick oil change places. This simple not true. Changing the oil more often than recommended is just a plain waste of money. There are studies that have shown... that the Moble One oil will pass oil analisys test after 18,000 miles of use. That's the whole point of synthetic oils.... excellant lubrication and long lasting.

Lots of Corvette people fall into this trap... through fear. They call it cheap insurance... just in case. This is like buying Hurricane Insurance in Montana. It's a waste. An engine is an engine... oil is oil... the oil doesn't care what the name of the car is.

Do your first oil change as required by the manufacture. I currently change mine about every 10,000 miles or once every year... what ever comes first.

·
Registered
63 Posts
George8211 said:
"oil needs to be changed every 3,000 mile" by the quick oil change places. This simple not true. Changing the oil more often than recommended is just a plain waste of money. There are studies that have shown... that the Moble One oil will pass oil analisys test after 18,000 miles of use. That's the whole point of synthetic oils.... excellant lubrication and long lasting.

Lots of Corvette people fall into this trap... through fear. They call it cheap insurance... just in case. This is like buying Hurricane Insurance in Montana. It's a waste. An engine is an engine... oil is oil... the oil doesn't care what the name of the car is.

Do your first oil change as required by the manufacture. I currently change mine about every 10,000 miles or once every year... what ever comes first.
True the synthetic oils last much longer than the old "dinosaur" oils did as far as lubrication qualities go, but one has to remember that the oil still gets contaminates (DIRT ETC) in it and therefor needs to be changed almost as often as the old stuff does.

Its up to you how often you want to change it but remember that an oil change is real cheap compared to an early engine overhaul. JMHO. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
2004 GTO said:
True the synthetic oils last much longer than the old "dinosaur" oils did as far as lubrication qualities go, but one has to remember that the oil still gets contaminates (DIRT ETC) in it and therefor needs to be changed almost as often as the old stuff does.
If that's true... why do we purchase oil that is 500% more costly, just to throw it away... lets just keep using the oil stuff. That's like buying a loaf of bread for $10 instead of $2... that will get the same use.

For some reason the public is falling for this... and I don't understand why :confused .. .. .. Most of the contaminates that end up in the oil are metals from the engine itself. This is most noticable during break-in as the metal parts are wearing together to form smooth mating and sealing surfaces.

It is the oil filters job to trap these contaminates and filter them out of the flowing oil. Depending on how far you go inbetween oil changes... you may need to do an oil filter change by it self.

Its up to you how often you want to change it but remember that an oil change is real cheap compared to an early engine overhaul. JMHO. :)
This is what some of the Vette guys say (above). I'll just ask this question out right. When was the last time anyone has personally seen an engine that needed to be rebuilt or replaced becuase of broke down oil??? I'm not talking about engine damage from over revving, damage from low oil, or from never changing the oil.

Keep in mind the oil analysis test... is measuring the contaminates that you are referring to. The tests showed at 18,000 it was time (not late ... time). I'm not going to run 18,000. I'm doing about 10,000, just like many other manufactures recommend for their synthic oil cars. Merceedese and Porche... 10,000 and 12,000 mile between oil changes, they have been doing this for years... using the same oils we use.

This is not a GTO site... but check it out, these guys do lots of miles !!!

(I removed the link from my post... there was too much whining going on in the thread... some people in there get it... and are doing extended changes, but most. Are doing this "It's cheap insureance thing").

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm not going to get into a flame war here. I'm just stating a fact that no matter what type of oil you use, It gets dirty! I have been in the automotive industry for 30+ years and have seen MANY internal engine parts fail from excessive wear caused by dirty oil. Also the idea of using the best quality oil you can get for your particular application (either synthetic or otherwise) is only a good thing. cars are not an inexpensive item and to protect them to the best of your ability is always a WISE choice. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didnt Mean To Start Such A Debate

in my buick i changed it every 2500 because if the turbo charger bit didnt put synthetic in it just conventional oil , went 120000 miles on it and never burnt a drop of oil , my gtp manual said to change it when the car told me or think it was 12000 miles or one year , otherwise the computer would tell me with its oil life monitor , well i changed it every 5000 or so used synthetic. now my moms volvo the crooscountry with the turbo says 7500 miles and you dont need synthetic. if you follow the manual you cant void the warranty as long as you show proof you maintained your oil change. i have to look at the manual if i put synthetic ill go 7500 miles and if i go conventional ill just change it every 3000 or so . oil filter? i guesss gm oil filter would be best? now we gonna start oil filter arguments lol .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.