Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone here for the input on changing oil on a goat.

That said, I just had a few observations. First of all, I didn't realize that the skid plate completely blocked the underside of the engine. No big deal, 4 bolts and it drops right out and you can get to the drain plug and filter. So, beware of that one if you're doing this yourself. Also, it helped that I jacked the car up on the drivers side, since the drain plug is on the right side of the engine. I still dropped the car down to level to see if anything else came out, and there were maybe a few extra drips. So, the secret to draining all the baffles seems to be to jack the car on the left. Again, recommended by a fellow forum member.

The only part that came as a shock to me was how much oil this thing burned. I bought my 05 used, so the dealer did the last oil change, and I did this one at a little before 5,000 miles (since the last one). When I emptied my drain pan, I probably filled less than 4 quarts back into my empty 5 quart Mobile 1 jug. I was surprised how much oil these cars burn. And I'm not exactly easy on it. Again, I read here that they burn something like a quart every 2000 miles, but still didn't expect to see it. So, don't forget to check your oil level between changes, a lesson for me as well.

The only other trick that seemed to work good, was that once I got everything back together, I put in 6.25 quarts of oil, started it up, let it sit for about 10 minutes and the dip stick was exactly at the top. Perfect. And this was on a PF46 filter. Thanks again to the forum members who pointed that one out as well.

Anyhow, that's all I have... Just wanted to share....

Bill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FYI - you don't have to take the skid plate all the way off --- I remove 3 bolts but leave the passenger side front bolt on (loosen a little) and then you can just swing the plate forward and out of your way. Nice for the lazy people like me...that want to do the minimum amount of actual work possible. :)

I haven't noticed any oil burn at all so far in my goat. Got about 4k miles and 1 oil change so far. Maybe the last person that changed your oil didn't fill it all the way up?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I should start changing my own oil; I'm just too darn scared the car might drop on me. I started it once then I just let my dad finish it for me. I guess I'm not comfortable to the GTOs low clearance compared to my 98 Stang

·
Registered
364 Posts
Noraku_6.0L said:
I should start changing my own oil; I'm just too darn scared the car might drop on me. I started it once then I just let my dad finish it for me. I guess I'm not comfortable to the GTOs low clearance compared to my 98 Stang
I've done my vettes oil with it sitting on the ground... :eek:

If I can manage that, changing the GTO's should be a piece of cake. :lol:

Actually, something I've found very handy is a set of Rhino Ramps which you can pick up at just about any auto parts store or Walmart. I just jack up my car and sit the tires on the ramps so there is no danger of it falling on me. :cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
Subdriver said:
I've done my vettes oil with it sitting on the ground... :eek:

If I can manage that, changing the GTO's should be a piece of cake. :lol:

Actually, something I've found very handy is a set of Rhino Ramps which you can pick up at just about any auto parts store or Walmart. I just jack up my car and sit the tires on the ramps so there is no danger of it falling on me. :cheers
I'll be sure to check that out. But I won't have to worry about changing the oil for another month, so I'm focused on a CAI and a good dinotune sometime next week.

·
Registered
127 Posts
a trick that i have discovered that is very handy being that i don't have a jack (other than a hi-lift and the factory one) and the ramps that my buddy has are to tall, i use the curb in front of my house. it is sloped on both ends so i can just drive up one end until the left side of the car is on the curb and it leaves me plenty of room to crawl under the car and helps drain all the oil out of the pan.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Man Thank god My buddy is a service writer at a dealer, He has full use of thier garage and the lifts so I do it there with my GOAT flying in the air, the funny thing about it is You could see me changing the oil of my GOAT at a Nissan dealer!!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
vette68 said:
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone here for the input on changing oil on a goat.

That said, I just had a few observations. First of all, I didn't realize that the skid plate completely blocked the underside of the engine. No big deal, 4 bolts and it drops right out and you can get to the drain plug and filter. So, beware of that one if you're doing this yourself. Also, it helped that I jacked the car up on the drivers side, since the drain plug is on the right side of the engine. I still dropped the car down to level to see if anything else came out, and there were maybe a few extra drips. So, the secret to draining all the baffles seems to be to jack the car on the left. Again, recommended by a fellow forum member.

The only part that came as a shock to me was how much oil this thing burned. I bought my 05 used, so the dealer did the last oil change, and I did this one at a little before 5,000 miles (since the last one). When I emptied my drain pan, I probably filled less than 4 quarts back into my empty 5 quart Mobile 1 jug. I was surprised how much oil these cars burn. And I'm not exactly easy on it. Again, I read here that they burn something like a quart every 2000 miles, but still didn't expect to see it. So, don't forget to check your oil level between changes, a lesson for me as well.

The only other trick that seemed to work good, was that once I got everything back together, I put in 6.25 quarts of oil, started it up, let it sit for about 10 minutes and the dip stick was exactly at the top. Perfect. And this was on a PF46 filter. Thanks again to the forum members who pointed that one out as well.

Anyhow, that's all I have... Just wanted to share....

Bill.
Thanks for sharing. I just did my oil change and I think I'm about ready to share about $150 dollars for one of those kewl, light weight skid plates :eek:

Think it saves about 20lbs and it doesn't have to be removed when servicing the car.

Another thing, I'm not exactly easy on my engine either, but I can't see that I've ever used a drop of oil. Checked the dipstick once a week, at least, and the level has never moved. Maybe I'm a lucky one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.