Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an o6 with about 1100 miles on it, the oil looks good,
is it really necessary to do an oil change early?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have an 06 and changed mine early. Mainly because this was my breakin time. All new parts breaking in together mean small metal pieces in oil. I'm sure my filter caught it all but I did it just to be safe. From now on I'll be doing it every 4-5000 miles. Alot of differing opinions but we're using synthetics so the usual 3000 miles old school changes are not necessary. However you make your own call. Here's a link and this site also has some good info. http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42106 Good luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I changed mine at about 1200miles. My thinking was that during breakin there is some blowby while the rings are seating resulting in combustion gasses and acids contaminating the oil as well as small amount material generated as mating parts initially wear in. Beyond that oil is not too expensive compared to the price of my new toy. I also changed the tranny fluid and differiential around 4000 miles. I decided to use MOBIL 1 Dextron III in my M6 and Mobil 1 75-140 + plus the GM friction modifier in the differential. Enjoy your new GTO I love mine. By the way mine burned 3/4 qt. in the first 1200miles. I now have 5300miles on the car and about 1300 since my last oil change with nearly zero oil consumption so don't panic if it uses some oil in the first several thousand miles. :cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
I changed the oil (Mobil 1), trans and diff (Royal Purple) after 1000 miles. Sometimes there are remnants of metal shavings from the manufacturing and the initial break-in.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Like I said check it out yourself. Alot of opinions here. Get the facts and make your own call. Thin line between good maintenance and wasting your money. Good luck however you go.:cheers

S

·
0 Posts
I agree with Ironman. I changed mine at 1000 miles and after my next I will be putting synthetic in and doing it every 5K. To each his own though...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Holden said:
I did mine @ 1K & 3K thats as far as I got. Gna change every 3k Dont care what they say.
I did the same

·
Registered
148 Posts
I bought the GM magnetic drain plug for my car, check it out on ebay, comes from the factory on corvettes and other LS6 cars.:cheers

CORVETTE ZO6 C5 GTO C6 LS1 LS2 LS6 MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUG
* FREE SHIPPING CAMARO FIREBIRD FREE SHIPPING * Item number: 8040935454

·
Registered
850 Posts
I changed mine when I hit 1000 miles...all GTO's have synthetic in them from the factory so I'm sticking with the Mobil 1 and I'll change it every 3000 miles from here on out!

·
Registered
290 Posts
GoatGirl I've got to ask. You work at a dealership. What does your service manager think about this?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Ironmancan said:
GoatGirl I've got to ask. You work at a dealership. What does your service manager think about this?
I actually talk with the technicians...they recommend that ANY new car gets it's first oil change at 1000 miles for the reasons that are stated in this thread. A lot of people don't know the damage those little metal shavings can do to a vehicle over time. As for synthetic versus regular oil, that depends on how long you plan on keeping the car and the amount of miles you drive. I use my goat as my daily driver and I put on average 15000 mile a year...plus, I don't plan on getting rid of my GTO....syn for me was the logical choice. Even if I was only using it as a recreational car, I would still have used syn only because syn is used at the factory...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sorry, I meant what does he recommend concerning how often you should change your oil when using synthetics?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Again, it depends on how you drive it...I'm hard on my car and he told me I could get away with it every 5000 miles but I'm anal...I'll still do it every 3000 miles! I was the same way with my Benz...

·
Registered
65 Posts
OOPs!
I waited to change mine until I hit my first scheduled maint. at 3k. I noticed an immediate increase in my gas mileage. Weird huh?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts