Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked through the OM for the recommended milage for the first oil change and all it mentioned was that the driver info panel would let me know when it was time. I always thought that the initial oil & filter change should be made at a much shorter interval than post break-in changes. Does anyone have any suggestions on the mileage for the first oil change or do I let the driver info panel tell me?

Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
I initially changed my oil at 1000 miles and then again at 3500 using the free oil change tickets I got from the dealer. I then switched to a good synthetic oil at 6000 miles (Amsoil 0W-30, Mobil 1 0W-40, Royal Purple 5W-30, etc). This is a good time to change the transmission (M6 only) and differential fluids also. I recommend Royal Purple 85W-140 (need 2 gts) for the differential. It does not need any friction modifier and owners report it quiets the rear end and improves the limited slip differential (LSD) performance. I'd also use RP Syncromax in the transmission (4.6 quarts). It is designed for manual transmissions. You will get much smoother shifting. RP is available at your local NAPA store. I've also read that GM automatic transmissions do best if you use regular transmission fluid vice the synthetics.

·
Registered
222 Posts
After Break-in of 505 miles , I also Changed the oil/filter at 1052 miles . My belief was always to make the first oil change at 500 miles on all my previous cars so I doubled it for Mobil One. The Oil change was FREE at the dealership were I bought it (actually they claim FREE oil changes for the life of the car). Cost would have been $55 +- for 6.5 qrts of Mobil 1 ... BTW the service writer said with my mostly highway miles I could probably go till 6000 miles till the next change. MY feelings at this point is that Mobil 1 and 5000 miles between changes seems correct.

What are others owners getting for M1 mileage before the electronic reminder says it's time to service ???

·
Registered
160 Posts
I, too, changed @ 1000 miles.

I will change again @ 3500, then around 8500 (we'll see).

For my extended warranty, I have to change @ MFG recommended service intervals. In carefully reading the manual, all it says to do is change when the car tells you to. I imagine my typical interval (5k miles using Mobil 1 5W30) will be more often than the sensor tells me to. I wish it had an oil life display (like my GTP has) instead of only the dummy light.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My first oil change and I'm impressed

Right or wrong I waited till almost 3k to change my oil. Did so today at 29xx miles. Mobil 1 5w30 K&N H1007 oil filter. First it was relatively easy. Not as easy as the 02 V6 Camaro but much easier than my 94 4.6L Tbird and much easier than any V8 GM product I've ever driven.

I hadn't actually looked under the goat yet as I was still so impressed with everything topside. I had heard mention of the skid plate but I'm impressed. Easy to remove but sturdy look. Everything underneath impressed me compared to the 02 camaro and all my previous cars... Seems to look like everything was built strong/tough, thought out.. i was impressed that the socket that fit the skid plate was the same size as the oil drain plug... In the US the engineer who let that happen would be fired lol.... Everyday I'm more and more impressed by this new breed of goat.

Course, I never thought I'd pay so much to get my oil changed and still have to crawl under there myself.. but.. cheap insurance.... engine life thingy or not.. i'm changing at 3k unless a really good convincing argument comes along.

I'm old and stuck in my ways I guess..

I plan to put synthetics in trans next time and the diff also (dealer suggested 7500 for diff.. figure it won't hurt to do it at 6k...

Just next project is wading thru the different brands to get my opinion of the right choice.

I'm love my goat.. so glad I didn't buy a pony.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I normally do my first change at about 1000 miles, and then follow the manufacturers recommendation after that. I feel better getting the initial change done just to make sure any stuff left over from the initial break in of the car is removed, either from the oil pan or the filter. :cheers

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 1000 mile oil change reasoning seems sound to me. The first 500 miles is where most of the "wear in" metal debris occurs from the rings getting set and a bit more comes from the liners and and a small amount from the bearings and valve train. Changing at 1000 miles should get most new engines past this stage with the oil filter still able to clean the oil without bypassing. Changing again at 3500 miles, as SJ suggested couldn't hurt either.

Anyway, that is what I've always done with new engines in cars I have owned and have had good luck with them. So, with that experience and recommendations I received on this forum, I changed the oil in my goat at 1027 miles. The reason I asked the question in the first place was that I thought it very unusual that the OM didn't mention that the initial change interval should occur before the oil change light came on. Not a good practice IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Mobil 1

So what's a good buy for a quart of Mobil 1? Today I picked up a 6 pack at the local Pep Boys for 4.49 a Qt. (with a coupon) I see its normally 5.54 a Qt. I went to a few other auto parts places and they are all charging in the 5.50 range. Any other good grade synthetics out there for less expensive?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought a 5 quart container of Mobil 1 for 19.97 at Walmart along with 2 additional quarts for 4.88 each.. That's the best price I've seen. Much better than Autozone (where I picked up a K&N oil filter for 12.99... only place in town that stocks them).

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
goatsandstrats said:
I bought a 5 quart container of Mobil 1 for 19.97 at Walmart along with 2 additional quarts for 4.88 each.. That's the best price I've seen. Much better than Autozone (where I picked up a K&N oil filter for 12.99... only place in town that stocks them).
Guess where I'm headed.

·
Registered
364 Posts
GTO judge said:
Any other good grade synthetics out there for less expensive?
I can't quote prices online, but I will say that the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program prices for the AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 5w30 are lower than what you have posted above and the AMSOIL consistently outperforms Mobil 1 in testing, both independent lab and used oil analysis.
Comparative Oil Test
AMSOIL vs Mobile 1 Oil Test

If you are interested in the Preferred Customer Program and have any questions, please don't hesitate to drop me a line at [email protected].
:cheers

·
Registered
498 Posts
1st oil and filter change was done at 2k using a K&N filter and Royal Purple Racing 21, $8.50 qt (vicosity similar to OEM). A quick dyno run showed 8hp just from the oil! My local speed shop does all work, including oil changes. They only charge $15 bucks for their time plus oil and filter. All the mechs there love the car. It was a slow Saturday so the strapped her down again to see if the oil made a difference for FREE

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
goatsandstrats said:
I found K-Mart carries a 4 qt container of Mobil 1 for 18.99. That equates to 4.75 per quart. I've seen it on sale in my area for 4.49 per quart. Regular pricing of it is 5.49 per quart. My dealership has agreed to let me bring them the oil, and filter and they will change it out for me for just the labor cost. I've always changed oil myself but, I've read on here how much of a bastard the skid plate can be to handle so for a few bucks to change it out and dispose of it, well I'll see how it goes. I'm guessing a quart of Mobil 1 at the dealership is probably in the 7-8 dollar a quart range... They want 65.00 to change oil, yea right :willy: I'll check Walmart too, and AMSOIL.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just did my 1st yesterday @ 570 miles using Mobile 1 5W-30 $4.99 qt @ WAL-MART and AC Delco PF 46 $6.99 Dealer. Now I have a question. Why does the manual and dealer say AC Delco PF 46 and I pulled a PF 44 off the car? Not a big deal but it kind of threw me for a second.

·
Registered
143 Posts
GTO judge said:
I found K-Mart carries a 4 qt container of Mobil 1 for 18.99. That equates to 4.75 per quart. I've seen it on sale in my area for 4.49 per quart. Regular pricing of it is 5.49 per quart. My dealership has agreed to let me bring them the oil, and filter and they will change it out for me for just the labor cost. I've always changed oil myself but, I've read on here how much of a bastard the skid plate can be to handle so for a few bucks to change it out and dispose of it, well I'll see how it goes. I'm guessing a quart of Mobil 1 at the dealership is probably in the 7-8 dollar a quart range... They want 65.00 to change oil, yea right :willy: I'll check Walmart too, and AMSOIL.
Walmart charged me $32 including the oil and filter to change mine. They used a decent Fram filter, maybe next time I'll take a better one. Can't beat that price.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
10w-30?

I know the manual calls for 5w-30, but I got 10w-30. In all my 32 yrs of driving it's all I ever used. The manual does say don't use 40w or higher, nothing mentioned about 10w. It says 5w is the recommend weight. I trust 10w is ok? Anyone see a problem with this for the LS 2?

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
vmax said:
Walmart charged me $32 including the oil and filter to change mine. They used a decent Fram filter, maybe next time I'll take a better one. Can't beat that price.
I know there are places cheaper..... however in many places ya got flunkies workin' in them shops. You know the ones; the guys that will get in your car with crud and grime all over them, grease on their hands, and shoes, and no paper floor mat....And then you get in your car and notice the very grime on the mechanic is now on your seats, floor mats, steering wheel, and dash, etc....... Last week at Pep-Boys I seen a guy bring around someone's car from the service bay to the parking lot... He had more grime on him than probably did the floor ... I cringed at this guy getting out of that car. Had this guy delivered my car to me in that grime ball condition, fireworks would fly....I'm sure there are dealerships that this practice goes on, but from my experiences with different ones over the years, MOST treat your car with more respect than these other shops....I'll pay a few more $ for this service. This goat-o-mine is the pampered one. For my older vehicles, I'd take a chance..Not with the goat.

·
Registered
937 Posts
GTO judge said:
I know there are places cheaper..... however in many places ya got flunkies workin' in them shops. You know the ones; the guys that will get in your car with crud and grime all over them, grease on their hands, and shoes, and no paper floor mat....And then you get in your car and notice the very grime on the mechanic is now on your seats, floor mats, steering wheel, and dash, etc....... Last week at Pep-Boys I seen a guy bring around someone's car from the service bay to the parking lot... He had more grime on him than probably did the floor ... I cringed at this guy getting out of that car. Had this guy delivered my car to me in that grime ball condition, fireworks would fly....I'm sure there are dealerships that this practice goes on, but from my experiences with different ones over the years, MOST treat your car with more respect than these other shops....I'll pay a few more $ for this service. This goat-o-mine is the pampered one. For my older vehicles, I'd take a chance..Not with the goat.
Judge, I have been taking both of my cars, whatever they were at the time, to America's oil express for years. They have NEVER spilled oil on the engine, are polite, vacuum the carpet, tire pressure, et al. Took my goat in for its first change. All the pit boys were oogling, everyone loved it. I trust these guys to do it right, they always have, but that oil change cost me almost $70 bills. Hope its worth triple the price.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.