Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
That's not the first photo of the car but that's not important. Here's a much better pic of the car:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Groucho said:
Would someone please explain to me what's "Stock" about it? Seriously- I'm curious.
Good point.

The class evolved out of cars which came off the assembly line and were hot rodded to go straight as fast as possible. Back in the 60's, before the class existed, factorys were building all kinds of cars like the Ford Thunderbolt -- basically a stripped car with a gigantic big block in it. Guys would weld a cage in it, frisbee the hub caps into a garbage can, plop an open face helmet on their head -- and go crazy fast right out of the box.

Until a few years ago, cars competing in the Pro Stock class were supposed to have body panels that were identical to a production vehicle -- with the exception of the hood scoop and enlarged wheel wells. The idea was that the car still had a "stock" appearing body -- even though everything underneath was built to go in a straight line. Bob Glidden got fined big time many years ago when the body contour on his Probe was off something like 1/8 of an inch.

Seems to me, though, and I don't have the time or inclination to go look at the NHRA rule book, that this stance has been softened up a bit as the hood, back half of the roofline and rear deck lid don't look anything close to a production GTO body.

Kind of wish somebody would fund the development of a GTO funny car body mold -- as it would be as sleek and aerodynamic as the Dodge Stratus body without looking as goofy as the John Force 2004 Mustangs (because Tim Gibson can't make the aeropig 2005 Mustang competitive in the wind tunnel). Probably won't happen as Chevrolet has already sprung for Monte Carlo molds -- and will sell you one of those bodies pretty much at cost.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Groucho said:
Would someone please explain to me what's "Stock" about it?

Seriously- I'm curious.
I can KINDA see the hood scoops from an 05' too. Well sorta. If you look real hard at the second picture, but they're smaller, and not open. Oh to heck with it.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Wow, nice car. Too bad that P51 Mustang dropped a wing tank in the windshield. I didn't know aircraft fuel was that black. Looks like #2 heating oil.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
Are you talking about that pointed thing that's shaped like your head?
Don't get all upset cause someone called your baby ugly. It is stooopid looking. Perhaps you can identify with that. Be a better what??????

G

·
0 Posts
Wing_Nut said:
Don't get all upset cause someone called your baby ugly. It is stooopid looking.
Ugly? It's an unfinished Pro Stock rolling chassis, not a production car. It's not meant to be cute or bad-ass looking or anything. As far as it being "stooopid looking", countless engineers would probably say the opposite- that it's quite intelligent-looking for what it's designed.

The cone is on the scoop for wind tunnel testing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Go Greg Anderson!

All I hope is that Greg Anderson will do great with the new GTO body this weekend in Denver. Talk about great press for Pontiac and GTOs if he can do it! That Pontiac supports NHRA Drag Racing was one of the top reasons I started looking at the GTO.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Usually people who diss drag racing change their tune after experiencing header flames at night. Look at it this way, folks spend a fortune getting their street cars up to 500, 600 and 700 horsepower -- with huge gains in performance every step of the way. Try comprehending 7000 to 8000 horsepower in the nitromethane classes.

Off to the ALMS race at Sears Point this weekend to see Stu Hayner's GTO (coming off a 4th place finish in a 28 car field at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut) and will be back for Friday night NHRA qualifying the following week to check out the GTOs of Greg Anderson and Warren Johnson (if his is ready). Will stop by and see Phil Burkhart because he's one of my brother's buddies -- so I'll have a chance to razz him on driving a Toyota-bodied car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
drag racing

I agree that the common assumption is that, because you don't turn, drag racing is "easy." I can assure you that driving a drag car is NOT easy. I am working on getting my NHRA Drag Racing license currently, and there is a lot more to it than meets the eye.
And Be_a, tell Phil Burkart that I said hi. He and I have met several times, and he is hilarious, a really nice, funny guy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts