Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I said, this is my first post on this forum, thrilled to have a Goat !
I have purchased a two owner 1967 2 door HT, originally equipped with the 400 HO/ Hurst His/Her automatic. The original 400 is long gone, and now has a 389 in it. My question is, down the road, if I decided to try to locate a 67 400 HO (YZ code I believe) for the GTO, what are the acceptable date variances between car and engine? I realize that it wouldn't be the original numbers matching but could be "correct". Also, what are the chances of finding a YZ code 400, and were they exclusive to GTO's? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Welcome to the Place!! You do know we will want to see pictures !! Check date code on the 389 to see if it is a GTO engine might get lucky. With a 2 owner car it may not be to molested. Can you find the 2 owners and check with them, sometimes you get lucky and the engine is still setting in a corner of the garage.Finding a correct # block will be a job. It would need a build date of 2 to 3 weeks within the body date of the car. Then heads, intake date codes must be the same for the block, will you idea. Not impossible just a lot of work. Where you out of??? Les

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
X2. Depending on which plant it was produced in, engine dates can precede the build date of the vehicle by quite a bit....I would say a month or two. HO blocks are not super common, but I have seen them. Be prepared to pay $$$ for the one you need. You may, however, get lucky. Welcome aboard!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome. I won't really have any information that would be helpful until I pickup the car next weekend. The second owner (1976 - present) did tell me that the original 400 blew up in the early 90's and was replaced with a freshened up 389 out of what he believed to be a Bonneville. Hopefully the heads, intake, exhaust manifolds, carb, etc. were taken off the 400 and transplanted onto the current mill. He thought that the 389 was as strong if not stronger than the original HO 400. That kind of puzzled me.
I will post pics and have more information in about a week.
Thanks

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Goats, the 389 I have in my '65 GTO was/is stronger than the 428 that preceded it, and will run circles around the 400 in my '67 GTO. It has a bigger cam and more compression, but it has worse heads, less cubes, etc. than the 400. Every 389 I've driven over the years ran very strong. (probably due to high compression). A little old 389 will surprise a lot of folks....especially of the Chevy and Ford variety!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So tell me.....how difficult would it be to find "correct" block, heads, etc? I realize it will never be numbers matching, but how much less is a nice 67 "correct" GTO worth than an original one?
Just trying to figure out the direction I want to take with the car. It has a 389 4 BBL, would be a nice driver as is or I can try to find the "correct" 400 for it. It's a low option 400 HO with his/hers, gold with black vinyl top.
Thanks in advance.
John

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
So tell me.....how difficult would it be to find "correct" block, heads, etc? I realize it will never be numbers matching, but how much less is a nice 67 "correct" GTO worth than an original one?
Just trying to figure out the direction I want to take with the car. It has a 389 4 BBL, would be a nice driver as is or I can try to find the "correct" 400 for it. It's a low option 400 HO with his/hers, gold with black vinyl top.
Thanks in advance.
John
I always answer this sort of question with something like this: What are you going to do with the car? If it's for you to enjoy, then who cares what anyone else thinks it's worth? Build it for yourself and have a blast. :cheers If you're building it as an investment (i.e. building it for someone else), then as close as possible to original is almost always going to be "worth" more. How much exactly is very difficult to predict - so much depends on the current market and who's buying. Try watching the various collector car auctions on TV and checking web sites that sell classics for "similar" cars to get a ballpark estimate.

Bear

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
These cars are no fun and are completely worthless unless they are 100% matching numbers.

Nothing else matters. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Welcome! :party:

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Wecome to the forum Goats Rule.
I too have a '67 Goat. The 400 HO 3 sp auto, I have all of 3 miles on mine!
Without the help of the kind folks in this fine place I doubt if it would be running. :)
Once again Welcome!!
:cheers

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts