Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I don't normally do much racing on the roads, but last weekend I was out on a nice 4 lane stretch with no other cars around when a 04 cobra popped up in my rearview. He caught up and pulled up next to me, we slowed down to about 60, I dropped it into 3rd, he gave the signal and we took off. Now my exhaust is pretty loud (just deleted resonaters and put in bullet mufflers) and his was really loud, but over all that all I heard was his supercharger spooling!! I got a short jump on him for a few seconds, we were bumper to bumper till I had to shift into 4th, I held on for a few more seconds and then he started to pull away.
We ran one more time and it was the same thing and I pulled up next to him after the second time and gave him a thumbs up.. he smiled and yelled 500 Horse Power and pointed to his car.
I don't know what all he did to it, but other than the exhaust mine is stock so I was pretty happy that he didn't just blow me out of the water!! lol

·
Registered
356 Posts
The '03-'04 Cobras are very responsive to even the simplest of mods...many appear stock but are actually putting out a lot more than factory. Be careful. By the way, sorry, but I just have to do this: :party:

Of course if you were BOTH running forced induction then you would have had a good chance at taking him.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If Grey-Goat were running Forced Induction also... chances are pretty much 100% he would have blown by the Cobra. Gotta love the perks of already having a strong engine and not a 4.6L S/C from the factory.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had a few friends that have cobras, and I have always been impressed with how much power they can put out. I like the looks of the new cobras very much, just not the interiors.

I didn't figure I was going to win, but I think I did surprise him that he couldn't pull away from me right away!! :cool

·
Registered
565 Posts
Grey-Goat said:
I've had a few friends that have cobras, and I have always been impressed with how much power they can put out. I like the looks of the new cobras very much, just not the interiors.

I didn't figure I was going to win, but I think I did surprise him that he couldn't pull away from me right away!! :cool
Well stock for stock the GTO and Cobra are so even it all depends on how well of a driver each has. Now though, if you do put that S/C on the GTO just wave buh-bye to every Cobra that tries to run you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The '03 and '04's are a nice looking car IMO. The interior looks like crap, but I saw one at the store the other day and I am jealous of how much rubber they are able to store in back.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The interior looks like crap and has horrible ergonomics because Ford had been using the same platform to build Mustangs since 1979, which is why your hand crosses three time zones to shift and you can't chance a CD unless you are in 2nd, 4th, 6th or reverse. :eek:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Bah, no! 302 all the way! :cool

Actually mine is eventually getting a 393C. :eek:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Goatacular said:
Just messin with ya CAM, I joke with my stang buddies....305=5.0.......302=4.9.....but whose countin? :cheers
:willy:
No worries. Mine's getting bored .030 over so it'll actually be a 306. Giggity giggity!

·
Registered
259 Posts
RiceEater said:
Well stock for stock the GTO and Cobra are so even it all depends on how well of a driver each has. Now though, if you do put that S/C on the GTO just wave buh-bye to every Cobra that tries to run you.
Well, I think that is partially true. The Cobra's pull very hard off the line, and in the 1/4 mile it is anyone's race. however, I took one one the highway at top end.... we started at 75mph twice... and I pulled on him both times and put a few cars on him. We stopped around 130ish. I think stock for stock the Cobra will not compete with the '05 GTO. But I also think on a track stock for stock the GTO will not compete with the Cobra. So it all depends on the type of race.

I like both cars and think it is going to be a great rivalry between the two.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Cobras have a solid axle and wider tires, IIRC. Be careful out there guys. Take 'em from a roll if you have to.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Actually they have IRS not a solid axle, a guy at work had a 2003. He grenaded the rear at the track after two hops! :lol: Those things will run in the 11's with very little done to them! And yes they can accomadate 315 rear tires, they come stock with 275's.

·
Registered
356 Posts
toolman said:
Actually they have IRS not a solid axle, a guy at work had a 2003. He grenaded the rear at the track after two hops! :lol: Those things will run in the 11's with very little done to them! And yes they can accomadate 315 rear tires, they come stock with 275's.
You're right, I was thinking of the new Cobra. :eek:
I can't afford a Cobra or a Goat so it dosen't matter either way. :lol:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Where you located in OH? I am near Belpre Marietta area, they might have a couple 04s left in Marietta for low low 20's.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I live in the Mentor/Painesville area. I make $6.50 an hour, but maybe in a couple of years, when the Jeep's paid off and the 'Stang's done, i'll be able to get one. :cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts