Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle came up to visit today. He had hot rods back in the day and has been driving truck for 30+ years, so he knows how to handle a manual. I don't feel so bad now as he puled out of the drive in 3rd thinking it was 1st just like me:) It was pretty sweet though as he got on it right away and burned rubber a good 20 feet:eek: Caught me off guard, but man was it cool. Then the smell of my new tires filled the car, lol. Then we hit a back street and he bangs the gears hard, she was up to 80 in no time. When he hit 2nd she chirps real good. Then he takes her on the highway, as we try to merge this truck don't want to let us on and starts to speed up and merge, I'm pointing at the truck trying to get my uncle to fall in line. He wasn't having any of it. He banged the gears hard, blew by that truck and I look back and this truck is like a mile back, she was turning 4500 and sounded great. As we went by the truck the dudes buddy looked stunned, lol, was priceless. My uncle said no way that truck was going to tell him what to do. He was like a big kid again, he was smiling all day. Never seen him so happy. He said he wasn't even giving it all he could have. Then he let me drive and I am just to slow on the shifts to do what he does, I baby it compared to him, he really got up on that shiftier. I now see I need to shift much faster. He just seemed to shift it in the right spots so it keeps pulling hard. When I try it I loose allot between shifts. At least I see a little more what it can do. It hooks real nice, he got on her hard and she just gets going:cool

Sorry, I forgot to take my camera:( I had no idea he was going to driver her hard like that:willy: You guys wold have liked that video:cheers It was fun for sure. She temps 215 with him driving, 195-200 with me, lol.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You have just experienced partial nirvana. Full enlightenment will come when you row thru that sucker like a pro. I'll bet some worries melted away. Congrats sounds like a fun ride.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
its all a feel thing batman, once you get confidence to wind it up to where it wants to shift you bang the clutch and throw it into the gear have driven many cars that hardly had a clutch and a viper that my thigh was sore from standing on but ohhh was that fun. NOTHING like a fast car with a stick how they were meant to be driven. i can bark second in my auto but still not the same oneness with the car....glad your starting to enjoy and see what that car can really do, still wanna put your G8 up against it?.....:D

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Glad someone actually drove that car, congrats!! See, it's not G8 fast, it's faster. I bet he was a kid in a candy store behind the wheel of that thing! Now, you know what it can do, plus what he didnt' get to.. Be carefull, and know it can be fast, but respect the speed.. If the PO had taken you for a test drive and really see what it can do, that would have been fun.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, yeah, he had a good time. First time he was in a car like that in 30 years. He jumped at the chance to drive it and wasn't afraid to get on it. I guess those traction bar things really help the car (I was considering removing them a I think they look stupid), he couldn't believe how well it hooked up. Car never got sideways, tracked nice and straight. But we had a good 750+ pounds of passengers in the car too, so that might have helped. It was pretty cool to watch him drive it, just the way he got up on the wheel and clutch. He had a smile on his face the rest the day.

After he drove it he had me take it out with him as the passenger. He said my biggest problem is my timing is off when letting the clutch out verses how much gas I give it, but said other than that I was doing pretty good. I tried to drive her hard like he did but haven't figured out where to shift it RPM wise yet without loosing power. He would smoke me if we raced in the exact same car. So I'm trying to drive her more like she wants to be, just not enough experience yet. With ME driving the G8 would kick my but with ME driving the GTO, LOL. I think my uncle would destroy me in my G8.

Only thing that put a damper on our day is getting the damn thing restarted. I need to get a regular gas cap, I had to keep shutting the car off to fuel up since I needed the key.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
take the fuel key off the ring and just leave it in the gas cap till you get a new one.
:confused Doesn't that make the locking gas cap worthless?? LOL..
Just take the key off and put it on a seperate key ring. How many tanks of gas did you go through? When you take the cap off does it make a big sucking noise? If it does, it may have a non vented cap on and needs a vent, thus not letting it suck fuel. Get the right, non locking cap for it and try that. That car should fire right up if it's right. My BBC I turn on the elect pump for a couple seconds, hit the gas twice to squirt gas in and hit the key and it always starts. Then when hot, give it 1 squirt and it fires without my foot on the peddle at all.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haven't tried to pull they key out while runnning. I don't remember any poping when taking the cap off, it did have some fuel on it though. On my 3rd tank.

When I got home and immedately opened the hood the filter was bubbling like crazy, like boiling water. Is it possible then the car is off all the fuel drains back to the tank and is doing that?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Shane, when I got my 66 I found I could take the key out with the car on, right after that I found any flat blade screw driver would start it, and the doors didn't lock.. $35 later, I had new ignition cylinder assembly and door locks at Autozone. New keys and locks.
What I meant on the gas cap is a whooshing sound as it's sucking air into the tank, the tank is in a vacuum as the fuel pump is just sucking, and there is no vents to let air back in, thus not allowing fuel to the carb.
Look in the carb when it doesn't start for the accelerator pump to shoot gas, if it doesn't then it's a fuel issue. Watch this video about the accelerator pump, it's real early they show it shooting fuel. There are other videos like it on youtube, watch what you can, it's like school for your car. :cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts