Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the chart, the only thing I have is a K&N CAI, and a change from mobil one to royal purple that morning

:party:

·
Registered
81 Posts
not bad at all!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Given that most of the posts I've seen regarding stock dyno runs show about 336 rwhp, it would appear the K&N intake is giving you about 15 to 20 rwhp. If so, that's pretty strong.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given that most of the posts I've seen regarding stock dyno runs show about 336 rwhp, it would appear the K&N intake is giving you about 15 to 20 rwhp. If so, that's pretty strong.
yes I was very surprised/pleased! I have a video coming soon as well, but it was a great day!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Very nice. Makes me anxious to get mine dyno tuned!

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
So how would that convert?
nice. but what is the difference between STD and SAE. cant be that much huh?
Check out this thread;

SAE Vs. STD Comparison Thread - LS1TECH

Here is a post from Katech Tuning;

"Here's the correction factors:

SAE:
"SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), USA. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.23 InHg (99 kPa) of dry air and 77 F (25°C). This SAE standard requires a correction for friction torque.

STD:
STD is Another power correction standard determined by the SAE. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.92 InHg (103.3 kPa) of dry air and 60 F (15.5°C). Because the reference conditions include higher pressure and cooler air than the SAE standard, these corrected power numbers will always be about 4 % higher than the SAE power numbers. Friction torque is handled in the same way as in the SAE standard."

Good comparison ed, that shows the difference between uncorrected and the correction factors."

·
Registered
621 Posts
Very interesting. So if I'm calculating this correctly (math isn't a stong point), the SAE dyno would have had it at 341 rwhp - adding about five rwhp to bone stock. Am I figuring it properly?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
aw, well thats odd. Ive never seen anything on different formats of dyno charts/formulas..

·
Registered
342 Posts
dude you just took a huge dump on rex's head lol...

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
dude you just took a huge dump on rex's head lol...
LOL! I didn't mean to doo doo on rex's dome. I just didn't want anyone else to get caught up in his numbers and then expect to see the same numbers when they don't understand the dyno sheet. As long as Rex continues to have his dynos done in STD then he'll be able to keep track of his gains. Hopefully his tuner doesn't switch to SAE as scare the crap out of him when he see lower numbers than his previous run.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I didn't know there was a difference between SAE and STD either. I just pulled out my dyno sheet from a couple weeks ago and it says SAE Smoothing: 5. What does the Smoothing 5 mean? Also, it was done on a dynojet and I've heard that they put out different numbers then a mustang dyno and to not get caught up in the actual numbers themselves, and pay more attention to what your gains are. Sound about right? My SAE was 455.76 hp, 415.41 trq, but I don't see any STD numbers on it anywhere...

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
I didn't know there was a difference between SAE and STD either. I just pulled out my dyno sheet from a couple weeks ago and it says SAE Smoothing: 5. What does the Smoothing 5 mean? Also, it was done on a dynojet and I've heard that they put out different numbers then a mustang dyno and to not get caught up in the actual numbers themselves, and pay more attention to what your gains are. Sound about right? My SAE was 455.76 hp, 415.41 trq, but I don't see any STD numbers on it anywhere...
And you won't. The tuner has to use one or the other.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Dyno's are tuning tools. It is best to use the same dyno for all your runs when trying to assess gains from any mods.

There are a lot of variable's involved when dynoing, including the operator. Also some "less than scrupulous" dyno owner/operators are notorious for "high" numbers to please thier clients so they can claim big #'s.

IMO the most important #'s are the air/fuel ratio and the #'s under the curve. Everybody wants the big top end # but there is a ton of information for the owner that can be gleened from a dyno sheet.

BTW, when looking over your sheet, make sure torque and horsepower cross at 5250 rpm. I have seen some that don't.

All dyno's will read slightly different but Mustang dyno's read roughly 5 - 10% less. Dynojet 248C is the industry standard. :cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts