Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....and I'm well into it. Here are some pics of my 1967 GTO restore. It started life as a '67 base and I didn't get an original motor or rear end. I'm not doing a concours resto, just a "nice" frame off. I have a '73 455, it is a 4 speed car, and thankfully spent most of it's life in California. Just this weekend I lifted the body off the frame so I can clean it up underneath and do a total redo of the chassis. The finished product will be a 1967 GTO with a 455, aluminum heads, 17" aluminum rallye's, maybe vintage air, in the original Turqoise/Turqoise color scheme.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Looks like a great project. The body looks like it is in great shape. We are at about the same point in our restores. Mine is also a turquoise 67, but black inside. I have quite a bit of rust repair to do.

Mine is all matching numbers, so I will (hopefully) be sticking to the 400/TH400.

I look forward to watching your progress.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a great project. The body looks like it is in great shape. We are at about the same point in our restores. Mine is also a turquoise 67, but black inside. I have quite a bit of rust repair to do.

Mine is all matching numbers, so I will (hopefully) be sticking to the 400/TH400.

I look forward to watching your progress.
My floors are real nice. What is showing in the pic is after I wire wheeled and painted them. The outside of the body needs some wheel well and back window work. Trunk is solid. Since my interior is turquoise I considered changing the outside to silver because I thought turquoise/turquoise was odd. Now I've decided it's a pretty cool interior color and I'm going to go with it. Mainly I just hate trying to spell turquoise.......

Are there any pics of your restore on the forum?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is my member introduction with a picture of how it looked when I bought it. It also tells a little more about the car.

http://www.gtoforum.com/f36/another-new-user-colorado-74986/

Here is my restore story thread

http://www.gtoforum.com/f83/dans-colo-restore-story-76209/
Nice, air car! Looks like you're a little further along than me but close. My goal is to have the main body back on the refurbed chassis by April? Then I'll start on upgrading to front discs and get started on rebuilding the motor. Good Luck, keep them pics coming! I'll let you stay slightly ahead so I can take advantage of your discoveries.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cleaned underbody

The worst job of all is done. I wire wheeled the entire underbody of my '67. Floors are in unreal condition. Solid. Now final clean, prep, and paint. No more stuff falling in my face.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice work. So are you doing an epoxy primer? Matt
Nope, just cleaning with alcohol and painting with a black truck bed liner paint. Used it previously, has a nice texture. The car will never see any weather. Not a concours, just a very nice driver.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Welcome!

Interesting... It looks like it started down the path to being painted Montreaux Blue by looking at the complete coverage of the floors. Clearly, the inside of the panel are Turquoise though. Gotta like the rust free cars! I have one and I'm thankful for that every time I look at it.

I take it by your user name you're into Corvairs. Whatcha got? I grew up with them and have owned a couple myself. I have a soft spot for them!

Chuck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome!

Interesting... It looks like it started down the path to being painted Montreaux Blue by looking at the complete coverage of the floors. Clearly, the inside of the panel are Turquoise though. Gotta like the rust free cars! I have one and I'm thankful for that every time I look at it.

I take it by your user name you're into Corvairs. Whatcha got? I grew up with them and have owned a couple myself. I have a soft spot for them!

Chuck
The car is actually Turquoise/Turquois. I bought interior paint for the floors and it's way off. For the stuff that actually shows I'm going to have to get more serious. I found something that matches a little better.

When I was 16 I had a 1963 turbochgarged Corvair Spyder and a 1964 GTO. That was 40 years ago. Last summer I finished my '65 140 Corsa resto (pictures attached), and now I'm doing this GTO. And they say you can't go back!

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
Looking good and as much as it's not glamorous, it needs to be done...

I too had a '63 Spyder. I know where it is and am trying to retreive it. Fortunately it is garaged and has not deteriorated since i owned it.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
The car is actually Turquoise/Turquois. I bought interior paint for the floors and it's way off. For the stuff that actually shows I'm going to have to get more serious. I found something that matches a little better.

When I was 16 I had a 1963 turbochgarged Corvair Spyder and a 1964 GTO. That was 40 years ago. Last summer I finished my '65 140 Corsa resto (pictures attached), and now I'm doing this GTO. And they say you can't go back!
Love the Corvair! Sad, that was one of GMs "outside the box" cars that should have made it. The early ones reputation ruined it for the car even once they got it right.

Seems to me that is the GM curse....release a car with shortcomings that give it a bad (deservedly) rap and by the time they "refine" it they cut it. Fiero is another case in point.

Nice Corvair OP :cheers. A few years ago a local car consignment dealer had the "last" 69 Corvair convertible made with less than 1000 miles on the OD. Very cool but too nice a car to let sit. I've thought about a Corvair for my daughter as they are still reasonable to buy and easy to work on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love the Corvair! Sad, that was one of GMs "outside the box" cars that should have made it. The early ones reputation ruined it for the car even once they got it right.

Seems to me that is the GM curse....release a car with shortcomings that give it a bad (deservedly) rap and by the time they "refine" it they cut it. Fiero is another case in point.

Nice Corvair OP :cheers. A few years ago a local car consignment dealer had the "last" 69 Corvair convertible made with less than 1000 miles on the OD. Very cool but too nice a car to let sit. I've thought about a Corvair for my daughter as they are still reasonable to buy and easy to work on.
I actually thought of one for my daughter too. If you do, get an early coupe ('64 is best) with a powerglide. They rust less, and all you have to do is do the O-rings so the heat works without smoking you out and you're good to go!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking good and as much as it's not glamorous, it needs to be done...

I too had a '63 Spyder. I know where it is and am trying to retreive it. Fortunately it is garaged and has not deteriorated since i owned it.
That car taught me a lot about cars. Good luck on getting it, if you do, send me a pic. I love the Spyder dashes, I think when I was 16 that was the main reason I bought it.....

As far as the grunt work, yeah, has to be done. The thing that bothers me most is what it's doing to my garage. I figure I have maybe 3 more weekends, then after that I'll get some decent weather and can power wash out the facilities. Hard for me to work in a nasty disorganized garage.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
In 1965/66, my neighbor across the street bought a new bright red Corvair Monza convertible. I remember riding in it as a 5 year old kid. It had a chrome shifter with a big white ball and the black shift pattern on the top of it. A four speed. I was hooked. After that, every model car I built had a 'Hurst' shifter made out of one of mom's stolen stick pins with a little white ball on top. That corvair was a neat car, and very fast and fun to ride around in!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update, Rear End Assembly Back In

Finally turned my wrench from loosen to tighten. Have my rebuilt rear end back in. Replaced all bushings, went from a 2:73 open to a 3:23 Yukon posi, added boxed lower CA's and added a 7/8" sway bar, took off the air shocks and replaced with KYB gas adjusts.

On to the front end! Target to have body back on frame by end of April....

Attachments

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Looks good! :thumbsup:

Ah yes, I remember the day I too flipped from loosen to tighten, wait until the day you get to wax her! :Scottwax1:

Congratulations on hitting a milestone, I'd much rather see progress than another thread on "giving up" on a frame off restoration. :cryin:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the thumbs up! Haha, a couple years away from waxing!

My immediate goal is front suspension, drop the body back to frame, and get it to rolling chassis stage so I can CLEAN MY GARAGE! The business of grinding the underside, frame, etc has left about a 1/4" of dust on everything and my painted floor is a mess.

·
Registered
714 Posts
That is indeed, momentous! There's something about getting your frame back and Painted/powdercoated... You not only go from loosen to tighten, but you also get to stay clean(er).

Congrats!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts