Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I should be ashamed that it took me six months of GTO ownership to finally crack 100, but I did it today.

My co-worker invited me to lunch. We were to meet our former, beloved boss at a restaurant a few miles away, and we were running late. So on this long, dead-straight piece of road with great visibility in all directions, my co-worker said, "Open 'er up!"

I did. We hit 110 before I let up, and the GTO was stable as a rock. My co-worker glanced at the speedometer and said she'd had no idea we were going that fast. We were only a couple of minutes late to lunch.

This gal I work with is fantastic. On the way back, on that same piece of open road, she said, "This is your last chance!" So I nailed it again. Got up past 120 that time, letting up only when I started to catch up to traffic.

What an amazingly secure car the GTO is at those speeds! In my C5, those speeds felt fast--probably because the Z51 suspension was banging me all around, and I was sitting closer to the ground.

I may have to drive this piece of road more often.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
GM Kid said:
I guess I should be ashamed that it took me six months of GTO ownership to finally crack 100, but I did it today.

My co-worker invited me to lunch. We were to meet our former, beloved boss at a restaurant a few miles away, and we were running late. So on this long, dead-straight piece of road with great visibility in all directions, my co-worker said, "Open 'er up!"

I did. We hit 110 before I let up, and the GTO was stable as a rock. My co-worker glanced at the speedometer and said she'd had no idea we were going that fast. We were only a couple of minutes late to lunch.

This gal I work with is fantastic. On the way back, on that same piece of open road, she said, "This is your last chance!" So I nailed it again. Got up past 120 that time, letting up only when I started to catch up to traffic.

What an amazingly secure car the GTO is at those speeds! In my C5, those speeds felt fast--probably because the Z51 suspension was banging me all around, and I was sitting closer to the ground.

I may have to drive this piece of road more often.
:cheers nice going i get it up there every now and than. If my wife is not in the car i will get to 140+ (did that 3 times since june)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I hit 140 on the beltline with 4 girls in the car....they were pretty impressed :-D

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
155 in 5th on a 6 mile straight, empty road just last week. The car felt great. But being in the desert there's always the fear of a dog, jack rabbit or a coyote running across the road at the wrong time. So I think that will be my last time doing 150+ (155 '93 Vette, 150 '98 Vette) because one day I might end up being road kill along with the animal I hit.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes, the 150 Club is a bit more elusive :cool

I compare the GTO to my '02 SS Camaro, GTO is stable and the Camaro was buffeting so much it was scary :eek:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wish I had more opportunities to venture past the century mark. I've had this same job for 16 years, but my commute is waaay different than it used to be. There used to be a lot of open farmland between my home in Mesa and my workplace in Chandler, and there'd be two- or three-mile stretches of two-lane with no stop signs. Not so now. There are rooftops everywhere. Stoplights, suburbs, shopping centers, congestion. Phoenix is too danged big.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How is acceleration past 140? I havn't really tried to hit past that because every time I manage the 140 mark, which is not nearly as hard as it should be on the interstate, i catch up with traffic.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
YouHolden? said:
How is acceleration past 140? I havn't really tried to hit past that because every time I manage the 140 mark, which is not nearly as hard as it should be on the interstate, i catch up with traffic.
Acceleration for me up to 155 was very strong. The fact that it was still accelerating with ease is what scared me the most. When I looked at the speedo and saw the overspeed warning flashing at me I was okay (it's set at 130). But when it went away and I saw 155 I was like :eek: "HOLY SH!T 155" then I wisely slowed down with my heart rate beating at about 3 beats a second. I'm still pulling leather out of my a$$ from pinching the seat.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
155 in 5th on a 6 mile straight, empty road just last week. The car felt great. But being in the desert there's always the fear of a dog, jack rabbit or a coyote running across the road at the wrong time. So I think that will be my last time doing 150+ (155 '93 Vette, 150 '98 Vette) because one day I might end up being road kill along with the animal I hit.
I did the desert thing in my 02 Z28. Going past Area 51 on a road called The Extraterrestrial Highway. 20 some miles straight at a shot. I averaged around 110 for the length which was just under 100 miles. I had it up to 162 for about 5 miles. There were some guards at one of the entrances and they were outside their Humvee giving me a thumbs up. I'm guessing they monitor that road pretty good and someone picked me up and saw the speed, told them to watch for me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I haven't taken the GTO too fast yet either. I have had it to maybe 110 or so. I had my SS up to 165 or so which is the fastest I have gone in a car(well a street car at least). I have had a race R1 up to rev limiter in 6th which is around 180-190 or so( not sure because of the gearing being different from a stock bike). I can't wait to hit the limiter in the GTO, that should be a ton of fun.!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.