Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64 GTO and recently sent my original Rochester carbs (tri power) to Holley to have them rebuilt, replated, refurbished, etc. The good thing is that they look great. The bad thing is that after I got them back on the car, I got the car to run (and not well I might add) for about 15 min before it quit. Now when I crank the engine, gas pours out of the bowl vent onto my newly painted engine and it will only run for about 5 seconds before flooding out. My first guess was to (even though I put on a new fuel filter and fresh gas in the tank) take the top off and clean out the bowl and needle and seat valve. I blew everything out with compressed air and there was no visible dirt or the like anywhere. I got it all back together and there is no change. I haven't done anything since except call Holley. They said to send it back and they would fix it which is good. However, I haven't driven the car in 6 months and winter is approaching and I really wnat to take her out for a spin. My only other guess is that the float is out of adjustment but that seems unlikely. My question(s) to the forum is: what is the correct float setting so I can check and adjust it if necessary so I can drive this damn car before the weather hits and I go nuts? If it's not the float, does anybody have any other suggestions before I send it back? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
I would venture to guess that when they rebuilt the carbs they possible used one of the outboard floats in the center carb or they could have used a center float for a 66 which is not the same as 64 and 65.

·
Registered
244 Posts
OK the easy way to set the float is turn the screw all the way out almost and turn nut to tighten.Let the carb fill up with gas to make sure you have the proper float level take the large screw out of the side of the carb and shake the car a little bit if a little bit of gas spills out your right there if no gas comes out re adjust screw on top of carb until you get the result i was telling you.

kenny

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
my tri-power carbs don`t have that gas level sighting screw and needle adjustment. I think your thinking of other Holley carbs.
I`ve always had good luck holding the needle solid in the seat and then bend the float arms to make the float just slightly lower then level.
Welcome to the forums maddoe!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leaky float

I took the top of the carb off one more time to see if the float was out of adustment. I'm not sure what prompted me to do so, but I shook the top and could hear gas sloshing around inside of the float. That has to be the poblem. I've heard of people soldering a leaky float - is it worth even trying to do that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts