Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Flowmaster Exhuast

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Loubo 
#1 ·
Hey - new to the boards. Just starting payments on a '06 blue/blue M6 GTO and I'm investing in exhaust.

I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge/experience with a flowmaster 40 series muffler on these cars. I was up at jegs yesterday and one of the guys there told me he didn't think the 40 series would work as a direct replacement becuase of the space/size restriction, and hanger location.

Is this the case? If so, that's really disappointing because all I really want for my LS2 is that flowmaster sound.

#2 ·
Just had Flowmaster Super 40's put on my car yesterday. The guy at the shop thought the same thing but I told him I had read of others doing it and he called Flowmaster and they sent the muffs he needed- inlet and outlet on same side and muffler turned on its side- they fit fine and sound great I think, but some people on this board seem to not like the sound.

#4 · (Edited)
hazzywayy said:
Hey - new to the boards. Just starting payments on a '06 blue/blue M6 GTO and I'm investing in exhaust.

I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge/experience with a flowmaster 40 series muffler on these cars. I was up at jegs yesterday and one of the guys there told me he didn't think the 40 series would work as a direct replacement becuase of the space/size restriction, and hanger location.

Is this the case? If so, that's really disappointing because all I really want for my LS2 is that flowmaster sound.
What he told you was BS!!. I have the Super 40's on mine......Flowmaster part number 952549. It is a 2.50" inlet/outlet same side setup. Took the muffler shop around 45 minutes to do.......very simple actually, as I watched them the whole time. Here is a clip from another GTO website you may be familiar with....its an 05 with just the Super 40's replacing the stock mufflers. I love the deepness of the idle. It rattles the rafters at the Spectrum every time I go there.....:cheers . No interior resonance either. I highly recommend them if you like the Flowmaster sound as I always have. This is the 5th vehicle I have had them installed on and havent been disappointed yet.

http://www.velocity.net/~josh/GTO.mov

#7 ·
05GTO said:
I have flowmaster 40 series delta flows, (part number 942444) and a magna flow x-pipe (part number M59).

Here is a clip;

Click here --->

438/400 with (only) CAI and Exhaust?

#14 ·
2005GTOLS2 said:
An X-pipe will be more of an "exotic" sound, where an H-pipe will give it a more "muscular" sound.
I think I asked this before guys but . . . . what about straight pipes in place of the resonator - no X or H.

#15 ·
Go for it and let us know. The resonator has two straight through pipes with preferations on opposite ends. Like people stated before, that's what gives it the "distinct sound". Having both sides equalized is supposed to quiet it down to make it smoother, kinda like a sleeper...Is that right? I'm going off memory here!

#18 ·
LYNMUP said:
Go for it and let us know. The resonator has two straight through pipes with preferations on opposite ends. Like people stated before, that's what gives it the "distinct sound". Having both sides equalized is supposed to quiet it down to make it smoother, kinda like a sleeper...Is that right? I'm going off memory here!
Damn - Got my Super 40's installed with straight pipes replacing the resonator. The sound is awesome. Couldn’t be happier - never thought it would be this loud. A guy at AutoZone commented to his working buddy "did you hear that GTO that just pulled in and parked, it is unbelievable - it sounds like a beast" - I confirmed for him that it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.