1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.:cheers
Now that my Goat is drivable and licensed. :rofl:
how big a deal is it
to be driving around without a flywheel dust cover?
thanks as always :eek:
Tk
:party::party:

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
As long as you're not driving on dirt roads, in the rain, or other conditions where there's a lot of opportunity for road debris, water, dirt, etc. to get up in the housing I wouldn't worry TOO much about it. A rock or other object kicked up by a tire or run over could hit the ring gear and break it. A piece of wire, trash, other crap could get picked up and wrapped all around inside there and do some damage.

You get the idea :D

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Like Bear said, Top. But here's a true story to motivate you to get a cover: A coworker of mine had a '70 Caddy convertible...nice old car, Nottingham green with white leather interior....and he was missing his cover. Well, he was motoring down the road one day and he ran over a PILLOW in the middle of the road. Well sir, that thing got all wadded up in the flex plate and block and locked up the driveshaft and rear wheels. It was funny at the time (still is), nobody got hurt, and a trans repair and flexplate was needed....but, that plate is on there for a reason, and they are CHEAP.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I installed a high-torque starter and the plate doesn't fit on that side of the housing now. I guess I could cut that side down so the rest of the plate fits. The only issue is that side would then be somewhat loose since it's not secured down. What if it gets bent into the flywheel by something?

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Yeah, the story itself was pretty wild. Skidded the rear tires so far that they flat-spotted and were ruined. He was going something like 75-80 mph....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts